The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS 480 Transceiver Noise Reduction System performance.  (Read 2243 times)
W7QHH

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2016, 05:53:11 AM »

I have a friend who is considering purchasing a Kenwood TS 480 transceiver. His big concern is does the noise reduction feature work?? All comments and suggestions, including other transceivers, will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Clyde, W7QHH
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:33:37 PM »

I have owned a 480 for 6 years now. I find it very good at noise reduction when you learn to tweak it properly. It was 4 noise reductions options and up to 3 of them can be combined. They are NB (noise blanker), DNL (Digital Noise Limiter), NR1 and NR2. All are adjustable in level too. NB and DNL can be combined with NR1 or NR2. There is no magic button on rig that you push and it does it all. As you increase noise reduction you tend to reduce audio response which you can outset with audio DSP and IF shift to enhance/restore upper end response to balance it out. If you take the time to learn it and how to adjust it for varying conditions it can be very effective at noise reduction. Installing narrow 1.8 kc SSB filter can help too and reducing bandwidth can reduce noise too.

As I stated above if you take time to learn how to set it in varying condition it can work well. There is no one setting that works for everything.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
W3ZZT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:05:27 AM »

I've had my TS 480SAT for about six years, also, and am extremely happy with it. I agree with everything that W8JX said, but I will add that the learning curve is fast; it's a very easy radio to learn. I bought an Elecraft KX3, which has an awesome receiver, and thought about getting the KXPA100 amp for it and use the KX3 as my primary radio in my shack, but after some comparisons with the 480 I couldn't tell enough difference to justify doing that. While I love the KX3 for portable work, I highly recommend the TS 480 as shack radio or mounted in a vehicle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: