Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Cables Thru Firewall  (Read 10310 times)
KD8RFT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 07:56:45 PM »

Okay so here was my solution. There is a plate so to speak where the clutch linkage would go thru the firewall. Obviously on standard shift trucks this opening would be occupied. There are two nuts that hold this plate on and are easily accessed from under the dash. I popped it off, drilled a whole just big enough to run the power and antennea cables thru. Bolted it back in to place, a shot of rtv to seal the opening and I am in business. By the way, on this year vehicle it was very difficult to find someplace to mount the antenna but Pro-fit sells a fender mounting bracket made for this year vehicle. 10-4 good buddy!

KF7TXC

Good job!

Hopefully the plate was a plastic material. If you drilled a hole in metal and ran the wires through, you need a grommet to protect the wires, rtv wouldn't protect wires from chafing on the metal.
KD2CAE

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 10:44:44 AM »

Given what limited room there is under hood I would "suggest" that you find a area on firewall that has access from both sides and use a small hole saw to cut a hole in in and insert a grommet in hole and route wires through it and seal it when you are done. I have done this before on vehicles.
try following the wiring harness hole thru the firewall or have an audio store do it for $30.00 KD2CAE
KC2KMJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »

These days vehicles are seemingly more plastic than metal. I always run a positive and negative cable straight to the battery, fused as close to the battery as possible. This eliminates worrying about finding a good ground and ground loop problems. Definitely protect the wires going thru the firewall with either rubber or plastic tubing, even if going thru a grommet. I've seen grommets in bad shape pull out from the firewall and then wiring is chafing against the metal hole edges. Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about it or do it again, though checking it out every now and then wouldn't hurt.
N6OIL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

If anyone is still following this thread I offer up this idea:
http://www.daystarweb.com/productlisting.php?make=all&prodcat=Firewall+Boot
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: