Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSK (full break-in) - possible on Yaesu FL2100z?  (Read 716 times)
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2005, 06:32:12 PM »

I have an Icom IC-706mkiiG as an exciter, and it fully supports QSK.  My Amp is a Yaesu FL2100z with the keying line buffered by the Ameritron ACB-70412 buffer.  I notice that when sending in QSK mode, the amplifier relays chatter, and have decided for the sake of my Amp relays I should be using semi-QSK mode instead of QSK.

Will the Yaesu FL2100z safely operate QSK?  If not, is it easily converted to QSK?  I must admit the Icom IC-706mkiig has spoiled me with its built-in QSK.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 04:08:10 PM »

The FL-2100Z ain't even close to supporting QSK.  You could add an outboard accessory like this one:

http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=QSK-5

...or you could homebrew something similar.  There's an article on a PIN diode T-R switch in the October '05 issue of QST, but that particular design won't support high power.  It just provides some ideas.  For the amplifier, you'd need a different circuit with more, and different, parts.

Probably cheaper/easier to sell the FL-2100Z and buy a QSK amp from Ten Tec et al.

I built full QSK into my homebrew 4-1000 HF amp and then found its only benefit to be that I don't have any relays clacking -- it's all PIN diode switched.  But I found I never actually use QSK on CW, the noise between dits and dahs drives me nuts.  Some love it, but it's not for everybody...

WB2WIK/6
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 08:06:21 AM »

My Icom IC-706mkiiG exciter supports full QSK, and I have grown addicted to it.  That is why I was hoping that my Yaesu FL2100z Amplifier could be altered to support QSK.
VE7ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 09:11:44 AM »

My Yaesu FL2100z Amp which covers all ham bands between 1.8 mHz and 29.7 mHz cost me all of USD$600 (used)  It came with a FUBAR swr meter, and I spent maybe $50 on NTE584 diodes (from http://www.mouser.com) to get it to work.  The ONLY thing I miss when using the Amp is QSK.

I am sorry but my pocketbook cannot afford the USD$3500 for an overpowered TenTec linear with QSK added.  The legal limit in Canada is 1000 watts DC plate INPUT power, and I see no point in buying an amplifier capable of 1500 watts OUTPUT on CW.  Besides, in this apartment, I only have access to 117 VAC (122 VAC keyup, 114 VAC keydown) so as you can tell, I had better not try a more powerful linear on this wiring?!  (1 VAC of this drop is due to my Icom IC-706mkiiG exciter)

As a side note, here in Canada it is only lawful to possess Amplifiers which can QRO less than 3 DB above the Canadian Legal Limit for your license class.  This makes the TenTec amplifiers have questionable legality, even though I, as an Advanced amateur, am allowed the high power limit of 1000 watts DC plate INPUT power.  Hams with only the Basic qualification are restricted to a few hundred watts (the details escape me) so that, in general, they may not even possess most linears.
NN8Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 10:21:18 AM »

I have a FL2100 and use a QSK rig as an exciter.

I don't know how others do it (comments welcome) but the way I found to run CW is to set the VOX sensitivity to where the CW tone puts the rig into transmit on key down, then set the VOX timing delay so that the rig stays in transmit throughout my spaces between words.

Other than that, a foot pedal or other type of "XMIT" switch would keep the amp up while the rig was doing it's qsk thing.

Rob
NN8Y

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: