Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heard Island, VK0, this month ?  (Read 7872 times)
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »

"Just think that in 1983 there were two separate dxpeditions here at the same time."

WA2VUY, now that hurts, hihi     I missed both, sigh...................

Bob
K6UJ

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 04:27:24 AM »

Somehow I worked VK0JS in 1983. I wasn't QRP but I worked them with my HW-101 - my pre QRP rig. I don't remember what antenna I had at the time but I'm guessing it was a vertical. This in the pre insanity days when you had more than 30 seconds to find a rare station and work it.
I got to work some good stuff back then like KP2A/KP1, FB8WK on Crozet, KA1CG on Minami Torishima, WB0ICS/KH7.

I don't care what some people say, I wouldn't trade a VK0JS QSL card for a check mark on a computer screen - ever.

- ya gotta love the 80's!

KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »

I was licensed in 1973 at age 13, and worked some DX in the 70's only by accident. I only got into DX-ing after being off the air from 1977 - 2001.

Had I known better - I would have asked for a Canal Zone and East German card! At least I do have ONE QSL card good toward the DXCC program from the 70's - from the former Czechoslovakia. It is deleted of course . . . .

Back then - you didn't need to operate split - and it was a gentleman's game - no pileups - everyone just waited their turn. I barely ever used the RIT on my TS-511s (forerunner to the TS-520), and which I purchased as a 15 year old from Barry ELectronics with my dish washers money.

But then again - I was a clueless rag chewer who only accidentally worked DX because that is what I heard on the bands - hi hi.

The game is so very different now - but I am having more fun DX-ing now than in the 70's. For me - the internet enhances DX-ing, and that seems odd since I don't like gigantic pileups.

Go figure . . .
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 05:18:04 AM »

To be honest, I like the spotting clusters. Maybe I am lazy but now I don't have to spend all my time tuning up and down the bands looking for dx.

73 Mark N1UK
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »

tuning up and down the bands looking for dx.

73 Mark N1UK

I thought tuning up and down the bands looking for DX was DX'ing!

What we're doing now isn't DX'ing. Anybody can key an amp once told what frequency. If it were any easier you could work DX comatose. (maybe some already have)
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »

Nu4B wrote:
I thought tuning up and down the bands looking for DX was DX'ing!

Spot on, Larry!  Pardon the pun..

Chuck  NI0C
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »

The one requirement to use Heard Island that I think is the deal buster is the "No one shall stay on the island overnight"
That makes it very difficult if you have to pack up at sunset and return to a boat, but then again is there really a sunset during the summer months on heard island?
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »

To be honest, I like the spotting clusters. Maybe I am lazy but now I don't have to spend all my time tuning up and down the bands looking for dx.

73 Mark N1UK

I think I like it better BC (Before Clusters). It's too much like a turkey shoot now. They pop up, BANG, you work them. They pop up, BANG, you work them, etc, etc. At one point it use to be a real challenge to work 100 countries, and it took me almost a year to get there back in the 70's with wire antennas. Now if you can't work 100 in 3 months, then you are not trying very hard. Clusters are not going away, so now they are another tool for the DX'er, but I still enjoy just tuning around the bands to see what I can find.

John K7KB
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 02:51:19 PM »

I dont want to start a "maybe so" rumor, BUT, I have it from a VERY reputable source that an expedition, albeit SMALL is still planned for this summer.  I am sworn to secrecy beyond this info.....   Gene AF3Y
AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 05:59:13 PM »

How did you swing that, Gene. I am green with envy. Need any help?
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »

Hmmm......their summer (now) or our summer (their winter?)
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 08:13:04 PM »

I'm guessing 2 guys in a sailboat - who have sailed to and from VK before, and who could possibly get the (very restricted) permission to land. Expert ops - great with propagation and antennas. (Maybe I'm wishing . . . hi hi).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:21:03 PM by KY6R » Logged
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:10 PM »

I'm guessing 2 guys in a sailboat - who have sailed to and from VK before, and who could possibly get the (very restricted) permission to land. Expert ops - great with propagation and antennas. (Maybe I'm wishing . . . hi hi).

Except for about the only similarity between Heard Island (and traveling there) and places like Mellish Reef and Chesterfield Islands is that it, too, is surrounded by water.   Smiley
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »

Except for about the only similarity between Heard Island (and traveling there) and places like Mellish Reef and Chesterfield Islands is that it, too, is surrounded by water.   Smiley

Hmmm - did someone say " . . . . . and maybe they could take a little side trip to Auckland / Campbell" . . . . . . . . ?
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 07:30:33 AM »

Chris-VK3FY tells me that he has cancelled his plans to activate Heard Island in 2013.

Paul N6PSE

DX0DX by VK3FY

VK0/H by VK3FY

Do you see a pattern here ?

And then someone else picks up the ball - i.e:

http://9m0l.legendchew.com/

Hopefully - someone with a sailboat will announce a DX-ped to Heard / Amsterdam (since its on the way - hi hi). Heck I will donate to a cause like this!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:35:48 AM by KY6R » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: