Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My ALS1300  (Read 3968 times)
K8OT

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:54 AM »

Close to 2 years now for my ALS 1300 and love it I had mismatch problems at first and it was fixed and back in a week that's fast considering 3 days going and three days coming
 I just had a problem with the 12 volt supply in the pwr supply went out. they said send both supply and amp and they will check it out.
when I got it back in one week, it worked better than before before if the SWR was not below 1.8 it had PAB mismatch. they reset the bias and PAB problem disappeared.
working better than ever
Great service
I use it with the MFJ-998 Auto tuner. Great combination

ED K8OT

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:53:06 AM »

I've had my ALS-1300 for over a year and it works great on all bands.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 11:28:31 AM »

There's a rumor floating around, that MFJ is going to have a DC to DC power supply for this amp, to allow it to be used mobile. I suspect there won't be too many takers, at 80 amps average, and nearly triple that peak, is a bit much for most vehicle electrical systems.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »

Given that SSB is not a constant load and average draw will likely be less than stated above it is not as big a problem as it seem as long as you run dual batteries.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W9MMS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:26 PM »

Given that SSB is not a constant load and average draw will likely be less than stated above it is not as big a problem as it seem as long as you run dual batteries.
John, based on your observations, and I Quote "as long as you run dual batteries". Should I concur, that you're in agreement with Alan, of having "a stiff electrical system" and  "that there may not be too many takers"?

(((73))) Milverton.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:36:56 PM »

John, based on your observations, and I Quote "as long as you run dual batteries". Should I concur, that you're in agreement with Alan, of having "a stiff electrical system" and  "that there may not be too many takers"?

(((73))) Milverton.

I live in the country and I have had a few trucks with snow plows in last 25 years and they are VERY hard on electrical systems (harder than any ham gear)as electric pump can draw 150 to 200+ at times and usually you have headlight and heat going too and sometimes wipers so load is WAY up there. I learned long ago the the trick is not as big a possible alternator as it is dual batteries. And not just for reasons you think. With a single battery when you draw system hard a lot the battery is constantly going from deep discharge to high charge rate which causes battery to heat up over time and get pretty warm to hot. With dual batteries the draw per battery is less and less discharge and charge current and less heating of batteries because of less power being lost to internal resistance at high charge and discharge levels. When I started with first truck it had one battery and battery would not last 2 years in winter use. When I upgraded to dual batteries I got normal battery life of 5 to 7 years and far more stable voltage.   

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »

It would be a lot easier to put in a 50 volt alternator and battery system. That is what I did on my F-350. Just had to change the regulator. Batteries are lithium, 10 AH.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

I think it is time to change the voltage standard for cars. It would solve a lot of problems with increased current demand on new cars. I have heard of the possibility of a 42 volt system being considered. Given the fact that it would require a lot of new things to make it work they are in no hurry to change. They would have to have inverters for legacy 12 volt devices.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 03:02:20 PM »

The idea was considered and abandoned.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »

The idea was considered and abandoned.

Not really abandoned, just delaying it because one day 12V will not longer be enough.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »

Not abandoned but cancelled. See Wikipedia under 42-volt electrical system and the author explains.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »

GM was ready to roll out a V10 in 2008 but it got canned or abandoned with energy prices spikes and then crash buried it. If conditions change it could come back. Just like 42 volts could too.

K0CWO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »

Bought the ALS-1300 December 2009.  Upon receipt the power supply experienced a catastrophic failure.  Sent both the RF deck and power supply to Ameritron for repair.  After repair the power supply performed as advertised but later I was told that the amplifier produced splatter on adjacent frequencies regardless of power output.  A local technician confirmed the distortion on a scope.  He adjusted the bias in order to clean up the signal.  The amplifier has been working as advertised for about a year now.  Considering the hassle I'm not sure if I would buy this amplifier again.  I believe the design of MFJ products is sound.  I can only conclude that the production/quality control process of this company is "hit or miss".  For what it is worth.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 05:41:25 PM »

The ALS1300 and 600 has had some issues with the 12 volt sections of the switching supply.
This is nearly all of the field problems in the 1300. Once transistors are changed with replacement parts, those that do fail seem to stay OK. There have been a few revisions of the 12 volt supplies, and I think the final revision of the 12 volt module should be a keeper. It has been a real tough problem to catch, because they don't fail often enough to actually see it happen.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 07:41:25 AM »

>and I think the final revision of the 12 volt module should be a keeper.

Do you know when that final revision was done?  I bought an ALS-600 back around last May and I'm just wondering if I may have a unit with the latest fix or possibly if I should expect some problems down the road.

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: