Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My ALS1300  (Read 3943 times)
W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:29 AM »

Oh yeah?  EVERY TIME my ALS600 switcher PS reached 600 hours of operation, 12 volts FAILED.  After 3 trips back to the factory I got all my money back and am now barefoot for now. 

BTW, an attempt at a BRAND NEW ANALOG supply and brand new AMP arrived to me DAMAGED IN PRODUCTION and I was never, ever able to even power up.  They have big problems there!
NN4X

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

"Once transistors are changed with replacement parts, those that do fail seem to stay OK"

Out of curiosity, are potentially affected owners being advised of this update?

K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »

The ALS1300 and 600 has had some issues with the 12 volt sections of the switching supply.
This is nearly all of the field problems in the 1300. Once transistors are changed with replacement parts, those that do fail seem to stay OK. There have been a few revisions of the 12 volt supplies, and I think the final revision of the 12 volt module should be a keeper. It has been a real tough problem to catch, because they don't fail often enough to actually see it happen.

I think the 12V problem in the ALS600/1300 Power Supplies is more prevalent than you might believe. I had mine fail 3 times before Ameritron finally swapped out the PS with one that has the improved 12V modules. With yourself and W7AIT, that's 3 of us just on this forum thread. I've had a couple of people email me also noting issues with their power supplies.

As to Ameritron notifying people of possible problems with the Power Supply 12V sections, I haven't seen anything posted by them. More the "If it breaks, we will fix it" approach to a possible design problem Smiley

By the way, my power supply was swapped out in mid December and the ALS-1300 has been running great since then.

John K7KB
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:48:28 PM by K7KB » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: