Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortening words  (Read 8734 times)
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »

What about the QTH, was that okay or should I spell it out?
WB3CQM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 11:14:15 AM »

In 50 years of pounding brass I've copied many abbreviations.  But most of yours threw me.  Not every character saved helps throughput, not when you introduce confusion and/or take risks with clarity.  My advice: use only the most common generic abbreviations, take pride in sending code that's easy to copy.

73, Mike

Outstanding post !
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 12:40:07 PM »

Sending "BREMERTON WA" a couple of times isn't really "boring" for me, but sometimes I cheat a bit and send "NR SEATTLE" - spelled out.  If there's a better known (and shorter named!) city or town around Mocksville, you might try that.  Personally I would rather you tell me just where you are than having to check the computer.

Every dit and dah you send is practice, whether you're just learning the code or you've been sending and receiving by ear for >52 years.  Sending "Mocksville" might seem like it takes forever at 10WPM, but double or triple that speed - which you will, soon enough - and you'll see that it's no timewaster at all.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »

If your contacts can read Morse code there should be no problems, its quite a bit different from the normal rubber stamp contact but I like people who think about different ways to do things.

Mel G0GQK
K5SBR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 03:27:12 AM »

When I was a Novice, over a half-century ago, I did as everyone else did and used what seemed to be "universal" shortcuts. As my CW ability and speed increased I found more and more difficulty in making sense of what people were sending to me. That reached a zenith when I worked a station sending in Galic. I had to write it all out and sound out the words.

My rule for the past 40 years is "avoid shortcuts". Take your time. Send "in the open", not in your own "code". When you get past 35 wpm and aren't working your buddies, it is important to "spell it all out". I have even found it useful to send TEXAS, rather than TX. Shortcuts can mislead and confuse.

73 and see you on the bands,

K5SBR
KB3TXH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 05:21:24 AM »

No, it did not work for me. As I was writing... moxvL...I could see that something was wrong, no town in the US is spelled that way. While I was wondering what I had done wrong, I missed the next letter or two (probably a comma), then caught ...nc... Then I missed a bunch of letters.

I am sure that an accomplished operator would have had no problem with the abbreviations. Their speed and confidence would carry them easily through the QSO, but as a newcomer, with no confidence, I was just confused.
...73 Jim
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 05:32:05 AM »

Well, that cinches it then... no shortening except for the "accepted" word lists (which I had posted those links in this thread)...

Now the decision whether people would know if Charlotte is in NC so I could just write QTH CHARLOTTE CHARLOTTE - and be good enough...

Thanks everyone for the input.  I actually picked up the idea of shortening words based on some posts elsewhere (I am reading posts from the beginning of this board, I am somewhere in 2006 or so at the moment Smiley )

73, Kris
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 05:56:24 AM »

If they dont know what state Charlotte is in then we can keep the money they have in any bank transactions that go through Charlotte!
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 06:05:08 AM »

I live in North Carolina. Gboro as a matter of fact. I know where Mocksville and I did not catch the QTH. Now without looking in QRZ tell me my QTH. Is it Grantsboro, Goldsboro, Greensboro?
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »

North Carolina  Grin
W8MW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 03:49:32 PM »

Tnx Jim
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 05:16:21 AM »

I RN A HRSE FRM W XYL NW IN NC = VY HPY TO MV FRM NY DWN HR =

I've been doing this a long time, the above would completely confuse me. The VE1CBF abbreviations list, as well as ARRL traffic handler abbreviations, are the only ones I use and recognize. I even think many guts don't seem to recognize "TT" anymore for "that", at least they don't use it.

paul
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 05:27:24 AM »

It is true, when I saw TT on that list, I thought no one would get this - I'm not using that! (or tt as the case may be).

I can't get to this post due to blocking software at my work (considered a games website!), but I can see from the google search it has a link to that original paper I was talking about with dropping the vowels:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chess.com%2Fforum%2Fview%2Foff-topic%2Ftrying-to-find-that-study-done-about-reading-a-paragraph-with-no-vowels&ei=Ig85T4q0EaXs0gHT_92qAg&usg=AFQjCNFi3Vfd06UJugvJRPsCFgCtN0dvyQ
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:18 AM »

I've participated in a CW traffic net for years, and 'TT' for 'THAT' is pretty
standard.

But for 'FROM', 'FM' is more commonly used than 'FRM'.

Scott W5ESE
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 09:49:40 AM »

What about the QTH, was that okay or should I spell it out?

I just tell people I live in MD. Almost nobody asks "What city", why should they? I never enter the city of a contact in my logbook; knowing you in KS is good enough for me.

Unless you say you live in NC: then I ask where (since I lived there too) and we chat about it.

My 2 cents.

paul
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: