About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW!!!  (Read 655 times)
AB7JK

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2005, 06:46:39 PM »

CW is to ham radio what sailboats are to boating. Simple, pure, basic, fun, requiring greater skills/abilities, and never obsolete! Kim AB7JK
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 07:21:38 PM »

And we all have the SAME ACCENTS !  Any chance you dared to dabble in the SSB S/S last weekend? I threw in the towel...  The CW weekend was SO nice...
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 08:54:20 AM »

I couldn't figure out what to use in the exchange for my section or the year I was licensed - don't remember that far back so I made up a few. Contests take all the fun out of operating - it's more like a job. Could you imagine having a job doing ham contests?  I'd have to file for workman's comp after a few days of listening to all that noise - not to mention carpal tunnell syndrome from all the logging.  Kim
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 10:30:25 AM »

Aww... C'mon, Kim. 'Dabbling' in contests is fun. I get a hoot out of working all states in a week-end. For November Sweepstakes, the idea of all sections comes up from year to year, but from out here in the Black Hole of the Northwest corner, it is very unlikely...  Yet, these days the only time bands are 'busy' IS in a contest. You know, the other day I tuned '20'... Virtually nothing on The Music Mode, so I tuned the 'CB Mode' section... Holes big enough to drive a truck through! On 20 Fone!  Who'da thunk it possible ??
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 07:34:52 PM »

It's a dying hobby - there are'nt enough stupid old farts around anymore to keep it alive.

When you think about it CW is repititious - name, RST, QTH over and over again.
SSB - guys taking about antenna theory and their bladder removal in thick hick accents.
Digital is more interesting but people limit topics to mundane subjects - I'd like to discuss philosophy or religion on PSK-31 but have'nt come across anyone yet who would'nt QRT right out of there.

Most people are like programmed robots - they don't have any original thoughts nor do they have interesting insights. They are all brainwashed by the news media and the school systems - and the ones who are'nt (those who rebell) don't stay stay alive long enough to make a difference.

What this country needs is a good civil war - it will reenergize the population, kill off the extremists on both sides, reduce the population, and just basically make this country and it's people a hell of a lot better - better character, better strength, self discipline, and honor. I can't wait.  Kim
KINGBOLETE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 09:20:21 AM »

>It's a dying hobby - there are'nt enough stupid old farts around anymore to keep it alive.

I thought there was one born every minute?

If the cell-phones would provide a way to use morse, it would probably supplant the silly key "code" in use for text messaging on cell phones.  It's shear pain to enter a message using those which is why they have their own set of abbreviations like the CW folks (no Q codes though).

>When you think about it CW is repititious - name, RST, QTH over and over again.
SSB - guys taking about antenna theory and their bladder removal in thick hick accents.
Digital is more interesting but people limit topics to mundane subjects - I'd like to discuss philosophy or religion on PSK-31 but have'nt come across anyone yet who would'nt QRT right out of there.

Sound like lots of non-radio conversations, at least the organ recital part.  The fault of a boring conversation can often be blamed on both participants.

>Most people are like programmed robots - they don't have any original thoughts nor do they have interesting insights. They are all brainwashed by the news media and the school systems - and the ones who are'nt (those who rebell) don't stay stay alive long enough to make a difference.

I think you could make a case that through out history large chunks of the population has been programmed; if not through the media, etc., then by the culture they are immersed in.

> What this country needs is a good civil war - it will reenergize the population, kill off the extremists on both sides, reduce the population, and just basically make this country and it's people a hell of a lot better - better character, better strength, self discipline, and honor. I can't wait.

Seems like after a civil war the extremists are often the ones left holding the field; also the largest number of casualties are those caught in the middle, though maybe by percentages there are more extremists killed by proportion.

Maybe this gloom is why folks run from a nonstandard QSO?

AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 07:08:03 AM »

People run from nonstandard qso's for the same reason's they run from confrontations, from being outspoken, from being truthful, from disciplining their family, and for a million other reasons - they are afraid to lose approval and they can't control the resulting anger and hurt feelings that result. People are too angry and too sensitive to be themselves.  Kim
AB7JK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 07:14:02 AM »

I was just joking about the civil war part - it will probable still happen though.  Kim Smiley
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 02:01:34 PM »

[Snowed in, here. Waiting for DARK and the Top Band 'Test]

I went on 17 the other day... Finally got a CW QSO. I could tell from the 'come back' that the guy could not copy me...but he kept roaring along... I got bored with asking X and getting an answer for Y...  Went into bedroom, dug out my Plastic Wrapped Mike. Found a SSB QSO on 17. After the Vitals, I asked, "So... what do you Phone guys talk about?"  Wrong question. But it was a QSO full of mouth noise [from both of us]. I didn't give a hoot about life in his corner of Podunk Hollow; he didn't know enough about 'aerials' to talk about it.  

QRT... Mike back in bedroom... [sigh]...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: