Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shielding a high voltage line  (Read 6717 times)
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:34 AM »

GOM...IT FAILED to stand the test. Keep up!

It's a JEEP, look at one in the parking lot some time.

I'm from the UK, not many people are stupid enough to have big 4x4 petrol guzzling behemoths here.

I've looked at pictures of a jeep. I can find a thousand places to mount an antenna but then again, I'd not be using a SGC (which I do own).

The rason I thought about Heliax was that it might provide the needed insulation, if I just used the center conductor, and not the braided shield.

Heliax is coax. The SGC manual specifically says not to use coax. The fact you're not connecting the braided shield is irrelevant.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 11:47:06 AM »

The SG230 and SG235 are both well sealed, and can actually be submerged for a period of time. I used one outside without any covering, and in the direct evening sun. Other than a dulling of the finish, no problems at all.

Having used an SG235 mobile for a couple of years as well, I'd still be leery of feedthroughs. I even tried 8 mm spark plug wire, fed through a piece of Delrin. Even that arced over to the plastic bumper surround, and melted a hold in it. As I said before, a few kV or RF will do thinks you almost can't believe.

KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »

That's why I'm Happy to live in TEXAS, and not in the "UK". When it Rains for 10 hours  and there's a bit of flooding, and I feel the need to hit the drive thru I can just go. Something a shed would have a hard time handleing.Not to mention being part of a SAR team. Mounting the antenna isn"t a problem. finding a spot where the coupler and antenna are within the recomended 6" is the trick.
I'm guessing it's time to make friends with someone at the power company... If the lineman can get it to the house, they should be able to spare something that can go 6".  Thanks to everyone for trying to help me out with this.
K7MSC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 03:55:27 PM »

KE5PPH, on my Jeep I placed the AH-4 tuner on the inside of the tailgate feeding a whip on a Breedlove HF insulator mounted to the tire carrier.  Feedline is RG-8 center conductor.  HV grommet on the tailgate through-hole sourced from McMaster-Carr.  Much bonding of the tailgate and body parts.

Works well and is bomb proof.

Pics:

http://i45.tinypic.com/b63eyg.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/16k9m6r.jpg
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 07:07:37 PM »

That is Exactly what I was looking to do! Grin  I have a bestop tire carrier.  after pulling the spare off and staring at the Jeep for a while , I manage to figure out a "perfect" spot between the the pivot brackets. I wish I was smart enough to do the picture thing. After all of the hints from everyone, it almost looks "factory'. After remounting the spare, it will be hidden and protected! The breedlove parts should be here by the weekend, I might just have to drive down to the beach and try everything out. Did you have an earlier Jeep before you got the JK?  If so How is the engine / electrical noise level comparing the 2.
K7MSC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »

Had a TJ but no HF in it.  CAN bus hash in JK is bad.  Bonding and ferrites help some.   Clear Speech DSP speaker helps a lot.

73 K7MSC
KE5PPH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 07:54:32 PM »

I'll keep that in mind. My screwdriver set-up was pretty quiet, after bonding everything that couldn't move. thanks for the pictures.

73 KE5PPH
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »

If you've ever watched a WW2 movie with a Jeep in it, the HF antenna mount was on a rear corner, on the side of the body just before the curve. It was on a sturdy bracket built onto the side of the body. Check out some sites for military vehicle collectors. You could go with a military style mount, with your tuner inside the body on the opposite side of the same metal as the antenna mount. HV feedthrough with low capacitance as has been desribed in other posts.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: