Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much will a vertical antenna be affected if installed in a depression  (Read 694 times)
K4SKA

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »

My yard is very irregular and has many hills.  I wondered how much a vertical antenna would be affected if the antenna is put at the bottom of a hill or on the side of a hill ?
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:55:43 AM »

The current economic conditions have little effect on antenna radiation patterns, so it doesn't
matter if we are in a depression, contraction, or whatever term the Economists choose to
describe the current uncomfortable times...

How high are the hills?  How far apart?  How deep are the holes?

If the hills aren't high enough to block radiation from the antenna at a vertical angle of
about 20 degrees, they probably won't make much difference.  There might be a slight
advantage to added height on the higher bands.  On the other hand, the depression
might hold water and have better ground conductivity.

But in general the differences are likely to be small - you might be able to measure a
difference with good equipment, but are unlikely to notice it in day-to-day operation.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

I will assume the top of the hill is higher than the top of the vertical. In that case draw a ray from the center of the vertical to the top of the hill; that is the lowest angle of radiation for your vertical in that direction. Given "average" soil the maximum angle of radiation toward the hill will be about 20 degrees above the ray you drew.

KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:51 AM »

What kind of a yard do you have that has "hills" on it?

My yard has a few "Mounds"  but I prefer "Snickers"   (which is what I am now doing at
my own silly joke).

Allen
K4SKA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »

Thank you to everyone who commented.  I have a much better idea on how to "guess-timate" what angle of radiation I can expect, and which directions will be better for DX.

73's to everyone

Phil, K4SKA
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:33 PM »

If possible, I would place it at the top of one of the hills, even if you have to run a little more coax.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: