Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Really Rare Entities Do You Think Will be Activated Next . . .  (Read 10496 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2012, 07:57:55 PM »

I'm not talking about anything on this list:

http://www.ng3k.com/misc/adxo.html

My guess is Navassa . . . . . followed by Heard, and then Bouvet

(I would have said Kingman - but now I know why no one will bother activating it)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:59:40 PM by KY6R » Logged
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »

There was supposed to be a short one-man, low-power, PSK-only operation to Myanmar but I haven't heard a peep since they made the announcement last fall. Heard would sure be nice. Another one we haven't heard much from lately is Wake Island, ever since a Category 5 typhoon made a direct hit on it a few years back. I'm hoping to see some renewed interest in that rare one.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »

I'm not talking about anything on this list:

http://www.ng3k.com/misc/adxo.html

My guess is Navassa . . . . . followed by Heard, and then Bouvet

(I would have said Kingman - but now I know why no one will bother activating it)

On that list, some new ones there for mobile. 3 for 40 meters. I no longer track the other bands. None new all time.

The 40 meter Q's are hard to get now that I am only mobile.

GL and 73 N5UD /m
KI4PRK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:55 PM »

I saw on the DXwatch calender (from 425dxn) a while back something about Jarvis Island (same entity as Palmrya, KH5, I believe). Whatever happened to that?

Also, haven't heard anything about the sailboat trip to Johnston, KH3 for a while. Is that totally nixed now?

73, Brennen KI4PRK
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:14:43 AM »

Every time I think that what is left for me to work is "impossible", I have to remember that I felt that way about places like Peter I, Desecheo, Navassa, Kerguelen and Malpelo.

Then, someone miraculously goes there and then we (almost) take it for granted.

More miracles will happen - and they will be announced soon - because we are just over one year away from the peak of Cycle 24.

I would hope for a cluster of "very rare" activations over the next year or two - because with a maximum predicted SSN of only 63, rare dx-peditions will have to take advantage of all the "juice" ol' sol can throw.

Maybe there will be string of smaller DX-peds - where people in sailboats activate the really rare ones?

Dreaming as usual - hi hi.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:17:09 AM by KY6R » Logged
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »

What about Pratas Island..that would be nice and of course the rocks with the wooden platforms.

Mark N1UK
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »

I think it has less to do with where we are in the solar cycle than it does with world economics and politics. These major international operations cost a fortune to stage and the money is just not there any more for a lot of people. International land-use policies have closed many a needed entity and in speaking with at least six well-traveled American DXers in the last couple of years, some say that they are made to feel especially uncomfortable in many parts of the world. i.e. Why bother spending $25,000 of your own money to go somewhere where you're going to be unwelcome (or worse). Plus my own aches and pains are telling me than as we DXers age we're less-likely to want to camp out on a scaffold in the South China Sea...and are as many young DXpeditioners coming into the hobby as there are older ones staying home?

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »

W2IRT: especially good point on the cost, access and average age of those who plan and go on the major DX-peditions.

I predict the model will change from huge DX-peditions to smaller one's - Microlite Penguins being the largest, 2 guys (and or gals) in a sailboat being the norm.

I need to convince all of the Computer Geeks in the Bay Area who are making a fortune to get into ham radio and go activate the one's I need. Many of them end up buying sailboats, and a few get into ham radio for "sail - mail".

Need to turn them into dx-peditioners - hi hi.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:05 AM »

I thought for certain that there was something set for Banaba Island early this year....Maybe I was dreaming that one....

V
KA3NRX
N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:18:49 AM »

I thought for certain that there was something set for Banaba Island early this year....Maybe I was dreaming that one....

V
KA3NRX

It was cancelled, something about an air traffic dispute and water shortage etc.

They went to Nauru instead, C21HA. Details if you want to read it  http://ha5ao.novolab.hu
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »

What about Pratas Island..that would be nice and of course the rocks with the wooden platforms.

Mark N1UK

That's probably Scarborough Reef (BS7H), of which I think the 2-letter prefix is most appropriate Smiley How in the world the ARRL could approve this as a viable entity, I'll never know. But I guess land mass is not the determining factor, that's for sure Smiley

As far as next major DX'pedition, I'm going to go with pretty much what the consensus is so far, Navassa, Heard, Bouvet.

John K7KB
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 05:11:05 PM »

We might see more Dxpedetions this cycle vrs the last because Baby Boomers are retiring now.

If we are lucky, some group will activate those silly rocks; Peter Island and Bouvet.  Unfortunately, Yemen is to unstable.  If we are lucky, the new dictator might allow someone from China to get on the air?

Bob
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 11:41:48 PM »

There was supposed to be a short one-man, low-power, PSK-only operation to Myanmar but I haven't heard a peep since they made the announcement last fall.

Yes, that's my 'project'.  Actually, it is only about 4-5 months since I started trying to get permission, and things move slowly in Myanmar...

I'm hoping with the gradual relaxation of the political issues in Myanmar that I'll eventually get permission for the first of many planned trips to Myanmar.

BTW - I was in Myanmar just this morning!  If you want to see a 30 second video of my boat-trip (with Myanmar mainland in the distance and Kawthung Island (previous XZ DXpedition QTH) on the left of the red buoy, then follow this link to my web-site.

http://www.hs0zib.com/myanmar.mov

Simon
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 03:55:14 AM »

Scarborough Reef........sure that's a country......at low tide.
A great place to live...no tired birds to roost.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Panatag_Shoal.jpg
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2012, 04:28:40 AM »

Say why did ARRL finally count this one, yet dropped Okino Torishima ? It seems I recall a split decision on BS7H.

Tony N5UD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: