Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS-480sat - can it be remote controlled via HT?  (Read 24829 times)
WD8OQX

Ignore
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »

I want to know if I can control this radio using another radio (like an HT) OVER THE AIR...
As an example, say I have the kenwood in a car & I am in a park. I use my HT away from the car to control the Kenwood & make contacts. (or at least try to)

I know it can via internet, so it seems to me that it should be possible but "google" brought up nothing. So if this IS possible, what does it take?

If it's already been discussed HERE, I didn't see it & would appreciate being pointed to it.

73 & TNX
Tim
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:30:38 PM »

No, this is not possible with the TS-480 SAT.  The closest that you can come to this capability is controlling a Kenwood TS-2000 using Skycommand II with a Kenwood TH-D7A HT.
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:41 PM »

OK - tnx.  Wink

I CAN believe that no-one has done it yet, but I just can't fathom the notion that it flat out CAN'T be done. It still seems like there ought to be a way. Finding it, is the issue.  Sad
But you are most likely, probably right! (it's a shame really, that these radios DON'T easily do this)  Angry
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:17:28 PM by WD8OQX » Logged
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:40 AM »

(it's a shame really, that these radios DON'T easily do this)  Angry

Mainly because the market for such functionality is VERY limited and it adds substantially to the cost. 

To be able to "remote control" a radio, the FCC requires that function to be done on the 220MHz band or above so you now need a suitable VHF/UHF transceiver and additional computer logic built into the HF rig - $$.  Also, you now need a VHF/UHF antenna in addition to your HF antenna(s).  Your HT would also need additional functionality built-in - $$. 

To date, the only company that has jumped through the FCC hoops, and this was a long, drawn out process for them, is Kenwood.  And the only radios that they have added this functionality to is the TS2000/TH-D7A combo.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »

No, this is not possible with the TS-480 SAT.  The closest that you can come to this capability is controlling a Kenwood TS-2000 using Skycommand II with a Kenwood TH-D7A HT.

Not exactly. You can use a Kenwood dual band mobile connected to it. They make cables for this too. The 480 has same sky commander firmware as 2000, it just lacks the VHF/UHF transceiver which can be added.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 10:50:21 AM »

(it's a shame really, that these radios DON'T easily do this)  Angry

Mainly because the market for such functionality is VERY limited and it adds substantially to the cost.  

To be able to "remote control" a radio, the FCC requires that function to be done on the 220MHz band or above so you now need a suitable VHF/UHF transceiver and additional computer logic built into the HF rig - $$.  Also, you now need a VHF/UHF antenna in addition to your HF antenna(s).  Your HT would also need additional functionality built-in - $$.  

To date, the only company that has jumped through the FCC hoops, and this was a long, drawn out process for them, is Kenwood.  And the only radios that they have added this functionality to is the TS2000/TH-D7A combo.

I wasn't referring to it all being built in, just that the necessary hookups & possibly control (such as freq - I think this can be done with a Touch Tone decoder) be in place, since they are already doing it for IP. Then one can "add" the rest, if he wanted. (being just the "HT's" to link) Additional cost to the HF radio would be the TT & maybe a jack. (this radio has a voice synth. that would give feedback as to the freq. & such)

And unless I'm missing something here the control would already be in the HF radio to control it for the IP, so all they would need to do is provide a way for the "HT" to communicate with it, & I think the "TT" would do that.

The only drawback I see to doing this AS IS, would be to get the TT tones into the radios controller. If I could lick THAT (w/o aid of a computer) then this would be a GO.

I know I can do all this WITH the computer, (had it all planned out a good while back with another HF radio) but the more I can eliminate from it, the simpler & better it would be. Taking up less room & lowering the cost.

Thanks - you at least have me thinking - not sure if it flawed but I'm thinking!

W8JX
Thanks - that MAY be the missing key - I'll check that out. (we posted at the same time)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:22:25 AM by WD8OQX » Logged
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »

Yep, that sky command would definitely work, but for ME, it's to COSTLY! For that money, I could use a netbook computer & two low cost HT's, at about 1/2 the cost. Or get a smartphone & use the IP.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »

Yep, that sky command would definitely work, but for ME, it's to COSTLY! For that money, I could use a netbook computer & two low cost HT's, at about 1/2 the cost. Or get a smartphone & use the IP.

I am not sure how you figure a few HT's and a netbook computer is a cheaper, better way to go. If you get right HT and Dual band mobile it is plug and play with 480.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »

I didn't say it was BETTER, only cost less, & I see where the smartphone approach would cost too.

The HT is ~$500
The mobile is ~ $550
That is $1050
(based on prices from Universal Radio)

nB is less than $300
Two low cost HT's is less than $200 (~$100 each can be had, especially used)
That is less than $500
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:32:14 PM by WD8OQX » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:48:15 PM »

I didn't say it was BETTER, only cost less, & I see where the smartphone approach would cost too.

The HT is ~$500
The mobile is ~ $550
That is $1050
(based on prices from Universal Radio)

nB is less than $300
Two low cost HT's is less than $200 (~$100 each can be had, especially used)
That is less than $500

And why not just getting a few used TH D7's for under 500 bucks too?

WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »

Well for now it is just wishful thinking or a novelty as I wasn't even sure about it being possible. I also see that "novelty" wearing off to quick to warrant the investment, regardless of HOW I did it. But at least now I know what it would take, & that is what I was REALLY after.

Cool   Grin

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:07:39 PM »

Well for now it is just wishful thinking or a novelty as I wasn't even sure about it being possible. I also see that "novelty" wearing off to quick to warrant the investment, regardless of HOW I did it. But at least now I know what it would take, & that is what I was REALLY after.

Cool   Grin

And for 500 you can get a remote kit that will hook body to internet without a computer and use head connected to its own adapter anywhere there is Internet and head acts like it is attached to radio.

WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »

Curious, I wonder if cat 5 cables can be used in place of pg-4z cables? (they look like cat 5 with a snap-on bead)

It seems to me that one should be able to make these themselves but I don't see where anyone has done it.
K4LIX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »

Look at eBay auction 260913299587 - a plug-n-play "unit' for the TS-480
using only your cell phone.

73 de Jim K4LIX
WD8OQX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 09:35:12 PM »

Thanks - even though I don't like (or trust) ebay, this sounds promising!!!
 Cheesy   Wink   Cool

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anyone know of making the [extension] cables, though?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:37:10 PM by WD8OQX » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: