The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mitsbubishi minisplit RFI problem  (Read 323 times)
W2BLC

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2016, 06:42:50 AM »

I have a Mitsubishi minisplit system - outdoor unit and two indoor wall units. It is very noisy on 75 meters - roughly every 18 kcs. The spikes are about S6 and the only way to quiet it down is to turn the system off.

My antenna system about 100 feet from the house does not hear the RFI - and I generally use that system. However, my secondary system is attached to the eaves of the house and that is where I have the problem.

Simple answer is to not use the house antenna. Proper answer is to clean up the minisplit system.

I have tried the telephone route with the "factory" and it was useless. Polite and nice people - but unable to help.

Suggestions? Keep in mind that I am not an HVAC tech nor an electrician.

Thanks.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »

there are two pressure pipes full of refrigerant, and power and control lines between the user stations and the split compressor in any a/c system.

you do NOT want to fool with the pressure pipes, no sirree.  let alone the 2 year/$5000 Federal strictures on any release of refrigerant.

so clamping ferrite splits on the wiring (they are conductive, so don't squeeze with vice-grips) is the best place to start.  lots of parts places have them, MFJ is the most obvious distributor at ham stores.  Fair-Rite is one of the largest manufacturers, along with China, PTY.

if they start reducing the interference, keep adding.  get them as close to the indoor control panels and outdoor compressor as you can, those are the sources of trouble.  if they didn't get an Elmer whistled up locally to help.  Corcom-type RF line filters would be my next step, personally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: