The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: question on learning cw  (Read 5365 times)
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 02:04:12 AM »

Absolutely correct, there is nothing like having a background audio of cw.

Maybe you could type up 20 or 30 minutes of today's news, and then let it rip in the background.

Most people can type faster than they can copy, so it should not take too long to make a recording of the news.

Even better have a look on here.

http://cw.dimebank.com:8080/

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KE0EFX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 08:49:52 AM »

Similar to that:

http://morse-rss-news.sourceforge.net/
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »

I'm still trying to get used to the di-dah-dah-di-dah-dit (@).  I can copy 35 WPM solid all day long until one of those landmines hits!

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:42 PM »

rn  on your rig plug in your key and get on the air. Forget perfect. It will come on its own. For me the biggest boost was building a one tube BK style rig and getting on the air at every reasonable opportunity. Soon you learn what to expect.  Shortly after you can copy most of that in your head. When puttering in your shack turn the rx to a cw station and listen while you work. There is no magic button. The more you expose yourself the better you get. Some are gifted at it. I am not one of them but still very much enjoy using it. I was a code required guy when I got my ticket and made that ok (15WPM was required here before phone privilages)but have become much more comfy at it simply by using it. I dont aspire to 20 or 25 WPM but am content with solid copy at about 12 which is for me very comfortable. I can go faster but why? I can talk fast too but don't do that either. Enjoy it, this human brain thing operating in a digital mode. It is fascinating that it is even possible.
don

well i'm learning "the immerse youself in it method". after reading this site i gathered that copying code would not be good for me. as i mainly work dx. i am all head copy but mainly words and call prefixes . but also learning the code with the koch method. for dx my understand speed needed to ramp up to a fast level pretty quick so now i can copy my call 5nn tu my name 73's the dx's call signs up qrz qrl and most of the important suff and major prefixes etc. in qso i cheat with a decoder and i use a pc to send i'll be grabbing a key pretty soon but wanted to mentally get my spacing right. first as i now understand the need for it. most of you will shoot me down in flames thats ok. i have worked over 80 countries in the last 4 months on cw had many qso's with OM's and had lots of fun in contests. i can id most repeaters and beacons with out the decoder now days so its good for me. my key factor was ramping up the speed to work the dx who are quite often @ 35 wpm to cut back the number of callers. it hairy to do but once you are comfortable its fun and funny when your call in busted and sent wrong back to you and you resend your call correctly then you realise your getting it. cause it didnt come from the decoder but your head.
cheers
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2015, 11:36:57 PM »

. . .  in qso i cheat with a decoder and i use a pc to send

Since I do the same things, I won't shoot you down in flames.

.     Charles
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 10:20:01 AM »

everything you need to know cw. I was impressed, take a look.   http://www.radiotelegraphy.net
VE3LYX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »

When operating in heavy traffic IE BK event or Str key night. I make up cheat sheets. Both for Rx and TX so I don't get flustered(as much;>)
Call_____________
RST________
Name___________
QTH__________
Rig_______________
Ant______________
Power____________
Identifier ___________ (if needed)
Saves a lot of time and eliminates, for me anyway, confusion.
don
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: