Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to CW...want advice for a KEY  (Read 10979 times)
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 11:38:28 PM »

. . .
Keys are not expensive. I decided against getting an expensive KEY to start out with until I gain more experience. When I gain experience with using a key, I might decide to buy a more expensive model, or perhaps a cheaper one. Maybe I'll end up with a collection of keys. Anyways, I will have fun in the process. Then perhaps I can pass on what I have learned.
. . .

Dave - W0DV

Spoken like a real ham! 

.             Charles
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 12:27:08 PM »

Don't waste your time, he wanted a piece of "furniture", rather than keyer. BUT can't afford too much, so he stuck with something in the middle... Guy has a slightest if any, idea about style of keying, and necessity to chose proper key and knob for different techniques. Which ultimately affects selection.

No, I am not looking for a piece of "furniture", lol. The sole reason for purchasing a KEY, is to learn how to send code, period. If the KEY selection turns out to be a bad one, I will purchase another. I will learn by doing.

How would you know how much I can afford?

Keys are not expensive. I decided against getting an expensive KEY to start out with until I gain more experience. When I gain experience with using a key, I might decide to buy a more expensive model, or perhaps a cheaper one. Maybe I'll end up with a collection of keys. Anyways, I will have fun in the process. Then perhaps I can pass on what I have learned.

If you don't have anything positive, or productive to add, keep your little fingers off of the keyboard, child.

Dave - W0DV

OK Dave,  You got plenty of advice in this thread.
I hope you can understand that the most proficient people in CW find your questioning somewhat annoying,.

So don't overreact, and recognise that K0TF is number 6 in the world proficiency list call sign copy, and in the USA he is the best, with the highest score.

So when he is able to raise the money, and is above that interested in it, he can place the name of your country in the annals of the world championship High Speed Telegraphy later on this year.

1: DJ1YFK   297644 943   22/04/10      
   2: HB9EYN   254746 889   03/12/10    
   3: LZ2CWW   225150 838   13/10/11      
   4: YO8TTT   219311 838   15/10/08      
   5: EW8GS    216946 863   20/10/11      
   6: K0TF    *212008 889   09/03/12    

Some people are over the top in being polite, and others are just rough mouthed and like to stir the pot and to upset other people. Just,when they see long toes they make a sprint and jump right on them. We are all together on this planet, and my idea is, give it a try to understand other people and accept their behavior as first approach.

Sorry for my bad English. I and the spell checker do not see any errors but KK0G will see them for for sure.
It is all about the semantics, not the syntax or grammar.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:30:18 PM by PA0BLAH » Logged
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »

OK Dave,  You got plenty of advice in this thread.
I hope you can understand that the most proficient people in CW find your questioning somewhat annoying,.

Annoying? I don't think my question was in any way annoying. I feel confident that most people in the hobby would be glad to offer advice, and assistance. You are totally out of touch if you really believe that. In my walk in ham radio so far, I am glad, excited, and eager to help others get into the hobby. I have made friends this way. There is NO excuse for someone to make rude remarks when asked for advice regarding a first key to purchase for interest in making CW contacts. The remarks made by K0TF are a reflection of his character, and as a Amateur Radio Op. His attitude is not representative of Amateur Radio, and does nothing to promote the growth of HR . If you think I over react to rudeness here, you should meet me in person Smiley. I have zero tolerance.

So don't overreact, and recognise that K0TF is number 6 in the world proficiency list call sign copy, and in the USA he is the best, with the highest score.

And? lol.  So you are saying that because he is #6, that he is somehow excused for his rude remarks? LOL.  Unbelievable!

So when he is able to raise the money, and is above that interested in it, he can place the name of your country in the annals of the world championship High Speed Telegraphy later on this year.

1: DJ1YFK   297644 943   22/04/10      
   2: HB9EYN   254746 889   03/12/10    
   3: LZ2CWW   225150 838   13/10/11      
   4: YO8TTT   219311 838   15/10/08      
   5: EW8GS    216946 863   20/10/11      
   6: K0TF    *212008 889   09/03/12    

This is all totally irrelevant. If he is unable to be respectful, he should keep his fingers off of the keyboard. Otherwise, he will receive what he dishes out.
Stop making silly excuses for poor behavior. All I did was ask for advice in purchasing my first key, lol.
This is about HR snobbery, the code, vs no-code, slow-code. Some narcissistic nitwit thinks he has the right to be rude because of his code proficiency. How shallow.

W0DV

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:49:55 PM by W0DV » Logged
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »

NEXT!
N8TI

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »

Nowadays, with eBay, you can buy a key, use it for a month or so, and if you don't like it, you can sell it for little or no loss. After you try out three or four, you will likely find one you like. Alternatively, you can borrow different keys and try them out.

My point is, that keys are fairly inexpensive and you can play with different ones until you find the one you like. Most ops tend to have several keys and use different ones when the urge hits.

Joe
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 09:31:34 AM »

I started out using a Vibroplex mechanical bug. For higher speed CW, it can probably be properly adjusted, used, as to weight, ratio, etc., but under 30 wpm quite challenging. For the same action, and for the more coarse motor skilled among us, I would suggest a Vibroplex Vibrokeyer. You can get them standard or shiny, and they work great. As most rigs have built in keyers and adjustemnts now, the op at the other end will thank you for getting those adjustements correct.
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 08:25:26 AM »

If at all possible, test out the key you want to buy in person. It's kind of like buying a guitar, or a rifle, or a car for that matter. You can look at the pretty pictures, you can read the testimonials, you can pore over the specs and descriptions, but nothing can replace trying it out for yourself. You might find that a key everyone else raves about is still and unresponsive and makes sending a chore, or you might find an old J-38 key that fits your hand nicely and sends smoothly and is a joy to use. You never know until you test it out.

Yeah I realize it's kind of hard to test keys out when you're buying one from eBay or ordering one from Germany, I'm just saying if you have the chance it's worth the effort.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:22 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from another ham that has been reading this thread, offering to loan me his Czech military key. I wont give out his call for privacy but I just want to say THANKS!

I received your Czech key in the mail today. It is different looking, what a smooth action it has! I'll practice with it for a while. Smoother action than the K-4 chinese key I purchased.

Your kindness goes along way with me, Sir.

Dave

W0DV
KI5IO

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised to receive an email from another ham that has been reading this thread, offering to loan me his Czech military key. I wont give out his call for privacy but I just want to say THANKS!

I received your Czech key in the mail today. It is different looking, what a smooth action it has! I'll practice with it for a while. Smoother action than the K-4 chinese key I purchased.

Your kindness goes along way with me, Sir.

Dave

W0DV

Dave,

Plenty of views and opinions and all based on each person's experience.

I'm sure you are enjoying the Czech Key.  I purchased one and just received it this past week as well.  It is very smooth and nice to operate.  I also have a K-4 and (as you noted) it has a completely different "feel".  I got my K-4 from Morse Express in Aurora, CO.  Great support from Morse.

I'm also looking to hopefully get a VizKey Camelback Straight Key.  $125.00 for a very nice looking key, has good reviews and I've talked to a couple of owners of the key and they are very pleased.

I also have a P-4 paddle from K8RA as well as a Begali Simplex Pro. 

All-in-all ... CW is very nice and I like to focus on getting 'better' with my CW and using my straight keys.

Nolan Kienitz
KI5IO
Plano, TX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: