Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Dog Did It" (GRRRRR! Dont DO it!)  (Read 1810 times)
K3ASA

Ignore
« on: December 31, 2005, 06:36:04 PM »

I am sure some of you have seen or heard of the morse teaching aid that uses tapes and those little cue cards with cartoon type pics and phrases for each letter such as "Dog Did It" for dah dah dit, and "Did Pop Pop It" for dit dah dah dit, etc. etc. I (sadly..) used this method of learning the morse code, as I was in a hurry to pass the 5WM and get my General license.
To say this was a TERRIBLE mistake is an understatement. I passed the test OK, and I now am having a helluva time trying to get my speed up to where I can do a CW qso without having to think of each phrase when I hear the dits and dahs.... I have done a couple sweaty palmed qso's but its not easy. I am going to try to debrief my current cw brain cells and learn the PROPER way. I dont think its gonna be easy, but I am getting started now. If ANYONE is planning on using the method described above, my comment is DONT! It has created a barrier to any kind of speed increase as far as I am concerned.
Comments?? 73, de K3ASA Gene
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 08:05:09 PM »

Download the FREE software by G4FON.  It uses the Koch method to teach.

Start from scratch.  Basically you'll have to relearn it the right way.

Since you have already passed the test, you don't need to worry about the slow speeds.  Set the software for 20wpm character speed and about 15wpm word speed (to give you enough time to print/write the character).

Follow the G4FON instructions precisely as to when to add characters.  Practice a little bit everyday.

I recommend using lowercase, script letters rather than block printing.  For me, at least, it is faster.

Continue to do on air QSOs also.

Feel free to email me at <callsign>@arrl.net
KG4HEB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 10:29:36 AM »

Yep, G4FON is the way to go . I learned using G4FON'S progam and I think it is the best there is . I to purchased the "code quick tapes" . I thought it sounded great but when I put the first tape in the player, I thought it sucked . hi hi . So, I sold the tapes on ebay and got the G4FON software for free and love it . Good luck and if you would like an "on air" QSO for practice . So that you can take your time and not get too nervous . let me know and I'll be glad to help you practice on the bands .  73, Sam KG4HEB callingcq@peoplepc.com
KD7QXO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 08:48:07 PM »

Sorry to hear it about the lousy tapes.  As with the others, I would be happy to try a QSO on the air.  Send me an e-mail.  By the way, I am also just getting started in CW.  
KDQXO
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 10:14:20 AM »

Well, basically any method of learning the code that has you rely on "sight" methods, such as cue cards, is a bad way to start out learing right off the bat.  It may get you past the 5 WPM test, but as you found out, it will end up hurting you in the long run if you really want to learn the code and improve speed and proficiency.  I think a lot of people buy these things just to get them past the code test and on the air, but I wouldn't recommend them if you really want to become a good code operator.  Try downloading G4FON's free CW trainer, it is the way to go in my opinion.  The only "flaw" I have found with the G4FON program is that it has a tendency to repeat characters, such as a string of four "T's," but this is pretty minor, and can probably be fixed pretty easily.  I can't complain too much, because after all it is a free program, and much better than most tapes I have used to learn the code.

KU4UV
K3ASA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 03:25:01 PM »

THANKS for all the help..  I had the G4FON program on my computer already, and kinda "tinkered" with it while learning the code the "wrong" way.  I downloaded the upgrade, and I am getting started all over again. I am copying live QSO's for an hour or so, as best I can, almost daily as well.  I wish I had NEVER used that other method, as I find myself thinking of the phrase for the character almost every time I hear a character... not all of them, but most..  Its gonna be HARD to deprogram my mind.. Again... THANKS!!  73 de Gene K3ASA
PA7WWO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 04:01:57 AM »

Hi Gene

Sorry you have got bad experiences with Dr Wheelers Dog Did It methode.
Me and my son and a very young radiofriend of us used it with great fun to learn the code.
I passed in december 2000 fer the 12 WPM test, and my son passed 3 years ago at the age of 8 fer the 5 WPM test, his test was wthout mistakes and errors in both TX and RX.
Our friend (17 YRSof age ) was at 12 WPM. in about 2 month and used it on VHF with great fun, he wasn,t alowed on HF yet as he was a Novice licencee.
He couldn'd pas the morsecode exam as it was ended here 2 1/2 yrs ago.
The test here in the Netherlands used to be 12 minutes of RX and 5 minutes of TX of morse.
But 3 1/2 YRS ago they went to 5 WPM ,and sadly they ended morsecode exams 2 1/2 years ago , my son is the youngest ever to pass for a morse exam in my country and he will stay that for the rest of his life as official morse exams have been ended here.
At the moment my son is 11 years and sometimes makes a QSO and he is at 10 WPM now (still the same speed as 3 years ago)
I moved up the ladder and I earnd my 25 WPM certificat this year (only RX fer 1 minute but you have to write it on paper and there are no mistakes alowed)
Every now and then I hear a letter in my mind as PAY DAY TO DAY or so but now annoyence here.
I had a fine time learning the code with Dr. Wheelers DOG DID IT methode  and I would recomende to every one whom wants to learn the code quick and easy in a few month.

73 and cu on HF in CW

pa7wwo Jos and NL12955 Geert
AA8YO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 06:16:18 AM »

I have to agree with the previous poster - I used Code Quick back in 1996 to pass the 20 WPM (remember that one ?) for my Extra, and wholeheartedly recommend this product to ANYONE seriously interested in learning Code and learning it Quick.  The product works as advertised IF you use it per the instructions.  Just my 2 cents ..... take it for what it's worth !

73 - Bob / AA8YO
HFHAM2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 09:14:09 PM »

I think if you persevere, Code Quick will work out just fine for you. It takes a lot of consistent effort to improve your code receiving speed regardless of whichever method you use to learn the code.

I tried a number of methods and "freeware" before I came upon Code Quick 2000 and was not progressing with any of them.

Once I tried Code Quick 2000, I quickly learned all the letters, numbers, puctuation and prosigns. I passed 5 wpm, then 13 wpm and then 20 wpm (about a month before they stopped testing for 20). Code Quick also offer free downloads of theory questions (plug-in to Code Quick 2000) which helped me practice for the Advanced and Extra theory too.

Great product. If anyone is having any doubts about the Code Quick method, go to their web site (http://www.cq2k.com) and have a look at the hundreds of testimonials from satisfied customers.

Heck, he even offers a 90 day money back guarantee. Try it, what have you got to lose...
VK2ICJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 01:48:11 AM »

Code Quick worked for me.  If you have only recently learned the code then it is no wonder that the sound alikes still are in your head.  Just keep copying code off the air and download that G4FON program.  It is a dandy.  There is not to many Free things out there worth anything but that one is,, especially for speeding up.  

You'll do it  

Chris

de VK2ICJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: