Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXCC stats from contest log  (Read 3506 times)
VE5AE

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »

I participated in the last CQ WW CW contest. I made 535 QSOs. I would like to know how many countries, DXCC enties and such I have contacted overall and per band, etc. Is there a software out there I can used in order to have those statistics by simply uploading or opening my cabrillo log file?

Ian, VE5AE
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:35 AM »

Hi, Ian - there are a couple:

SH5 is a really powerful, graphic log analysis tool. It is free for up to 200 contacts/log, $20 for the unlimited version - see http://www.tr4w.com/sh5/

There was a command line one, CBRS or something like that, but I can't find my links to it anymore. Someone else on here might know.

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »

I participated in the last CQ WW CW contest. I made 535 QSOs. I would like to know how many countries, DXCC enties and such I have contacted overall and per band, etc. Is there a software out there I can used in order to have those statistics by simply uploading or opening my cabrillo log file?

Ian, VE5AE

Ian,

Not sure this is exactly what your looking for but as an example, I use N1MM for contest logging and run the N1MM->to->DXKEEPER bridge s/w so all my N1MM contacts automatically show up in my DXLab Suite's DXKEEPER Logger that I use for day to day logging. From there it is a simple task to just filter the desired logbook QSO entries (using date/time filter works well for this). After the filter is applied, I can do almost anything to that subset of QSOs.

Working it this way, I have all my QSOs in one logbook, both regular and contesting.

Not sure what logging software you use for contesting or if you use a seperate logbook for everyday use but if it is a full featured type then you should be able to manually create an ADIF file and import that into your everyday logbook and do the analysis there.

If not, then maybe one of the SH5 s/w mentioned can help you. I've never used it so I can't help there.

Good Luck,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WS7X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:02 PM »

If you find something that works Ian I'd be curious to know what it is.  Here is a link to CBS   http://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/cbs

I have not tried it and am not sure I could even get it to work on my windows 7 computer and not sure I'd even want to try.

You would think that with contesting being so popular, analysis software would be common but this does not seem to be the case.   In fact much of the software for ham radio use in general with a few exceptions (like HRD) are quite dated.  I understand why few people are making software to teach CW anymore but, loggers and contesting are still alive and well.  But most of the logging software is old too.  In most cases the authors just barely got them to work on the latest windows and mac pcs.    I don't think a good contest log analysis program is out there...Unless you're still running MS DOS and can write a few batch files...

I could be wrong but...
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:31:36 AM »

If you find something that works Ian I'd be curious to know what it is.  Here is a link to CBS   http://www.kkn.net/~n6tv/cbs

I have not tried it and am not sure I could even get it to work on my windows 7 computer and not sure I'd even want to try.

You would think that with contesting being so popular, analysis software would be common but this does not seem to be the case.   In fact much of the software for ham radio use in general with a few exceptions (like HRD) are quite dated.  I understand why few people are making software to teach CW anymore but, loggers and contesting are still alive and well.  But most of the logging software is old too.  In most cases the authors just barely got them to work on the latest windows and mac pcs.    I don't think a good contest log analysis program is out there...Unless you're still running MS DOS and can write a few batch files...

I could be wrong but...

I can't speak for HRD and the array of other loggers out there, but DXLab Suite is updated regularly and is kept current by the author Dave, AA6YQ. DXKeeper, which is the logging utility in the suite of programs, is about as powerful a logger as one could develop for amateur radio logging. I have yet to find any analysis task it will not perform on my logbook.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
WS7X

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »

Well you're right about DXLab's software being one of the few that has been kept current.  Forgot that one.    I do use DXview a lot and may give DXkeeper another try.  Didn't realize it had any log analysis software built in. 
Thanks
Noel
WS7X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »

Well it does not appear that DXKeeper has any log analysis features.  It does have a contest mode but that's all.  Maybe you are calling DXCC tracking "log analysis"? 
Noel - WS7X
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:57:40 AM »

Well it does not appear that DXKeeper has any log analysis features.  It does have a contest mode but that's all.  Maybe you are calling DXCC tracking "log analysis"? 
Noel - WS7X

Noel,

No DXKeeper is not a turn key log analysis software. I never said it was. What I said was it will do any analysis task I put it up to.

For example, if I want to know how many DX confirmations by card for 160M from 2011, simply build a query and select it to filter by. I get a report showing the logbook entries for that filter including a summary of how many worked, how many confirmed, etc.

Personally I do not really need a bunch of pre-canned queries to do analysis on my logbook. I want the ability to build my own queries and filter to suit whatever I need to do. And that is exactly what Dave has provided and personally, I find it excellent.

As to the SH5 and other software listed, I do not have any info on those. They may do a turn key one keystroke analysis of ta log but in my opinion, if someone is looking for a utility that will give them all the skinny on their logbook contents with a single keystroke, to best of my knowledge, such an animal doesn't exist in today's market. In order to give ALL possible data analysis points to the user automatically, that piece of software would most likely be very involved to develop and worse to upkeep with any rule changes such as the PJ updates and addition/deletion of countries. Closest thing I can attest to that will do that sort of analysis is the CLUBLOG website.

For me, I'll stick with DX Log and DXKeeper. It answers everything I have ever looked for in a logbook and operating enviroment.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:05:37 PM »

I just took a quick look at the SH5 program mentioned. Interesting piece of software. It would be nice if it was multiligual and could speak different log formats other than Cabrillo (or at least that is what my quick lookrevealed it used). Nice analysis tool for contest logs to see what your coverage was although I dump my contest logs directly into DXKeeper as I work the contest. I use N1MM and a N1MM to DXKeeper bridge which as soon as the Q is logged in N1MM it shows up in DXKeeper too so at the end of the contest everything is already in place.

So I can now say I know at least one program that does log analysis albeit Cabrillo contest logs only.

Thanks for the info,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: