Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little story about the "I cant do code"  (Read 1331 times)
KDUV7462

Ignore
« on: January 29, 2006, 05:50:12 AM »

hey. I am "one of you're own". I alwaya dreaded the mere thought of learning code to get a liscense or now a further privelege. Years ago when i knew i was leaning towards this hobby, I found out about learning code, and having to do it FAST, and i felt deflated. Well, there must have been something to that being universal, so now its 5 WPM and thats it. ANd youdont even need it to get started. Oh yeah, the testimonial.

"But I cant do it. Its stopping me."

When i was little, I played soccer. No matter what they tried me out as, it turned out I was only good at defense. Fullback, and usually halfback. When i played soccer in High school, Guess what position i ended up at? LMAO I kinda knew i was never going to end up with ONE goal for myself. Not one. Thats all I wanted... just one lousy goal. Finally, one game, conditions demanded we do a "full press", IE, playing up for "extra forwards". I dont have sprint speed, but by the end of the game its like i do, I can run a long time at 3/4 speed.

because i'm a defesive player, I cant accurately shoot or pass long, but i can send the ball up the field, and I'm good at playing "keep away". "full press" is a weird thing to be doing, and they cleared the ball long...back where we had nobody now! everybody runs back, and a surprise clear sent the ball back up... where sadly I was. I had noone to pass to. I couldnt drop it back to our field as that wasnt the point then. I had no choice but to try to last as long as i could by myself, up in "forwards land". Between good keep away, and some luck, and a lot of wind, I held out. I was relieved to dump it to a forward when they got back up, hey, thisaint my job anyways. In front of some big pileup in front of their goal, with myback to it, I put my heel into the ball to keep it up THERE, and boom, it went in. I finally got my goal.

It may have happened half by accident, or by default, and luck, but it happened. Why did it happen? because I was THERE, where i hardly ever playd position. If youre nowhere around the net, you'll never score.

How does this apply? two ways. I thoguht it would never happen, but it CAN. AND... if youre not THERE, it certainly CANT happen.

I dreaded code, it ws all that was stopping me. I couldnt do it.

(sigh) I also wasnt TRYING.

when young, I thought i couldnt fight because i had no hand speed, so i couldnt box, or later when i tried, kick acurately. All i could do was block stuff, and I couldnt wrestle or grapple... all i could do was wrap up my opponent, and go along for the ride, treating it like a game, but, i certainly couldnt FIGHT.

many years later, I was surprised to learn "all i COULD do" was more than enough to fight very effectively.

when someone finally showed me, "just hanging on for the ride" was a very accepted main technique to GRAPPLING (submission wrestling). hand speed no longer matered as much. Blocking stuff, which was all i could do a little, was all it took to handle short periods of "stand up aggression" till it went back down on the ground again. The same guy showed me that if i "hung on for the ride, like a game" properly, I was choking out my opponent.

Life's funny like that. Dont you have ONE story, where you thought you could not do something, then later found out you COULD, and amazed yourself? Or you just weren't having it TAUGHT properly to you? Or that when you HAD to, you amazed yourself with a little trying, that you COULD do it?

even though i CANT DO IT, i downloaded the (free...lol) K4Fon software, the KOCH software. On a LARK, and nothing else, this program starts repeating two characters of morse code, K and R at me, over and over. Guess what? I cant do morse code, but i can recognize those two characters, instantly. Heck, I already know S and O, anyone knows SOS that ever watched an old war movie. Hey, thats 4 characters. I started fooling around with letting the software bang out a couple characters for "background noise" while i cleaned up this room.

Wow. I got bored. I clicked the button that sent it to THREE characters a few minutes later. Saved a webpage i found that lists all the letters in morse. In this fashion, within an hour of NOT EVEN TRYING, I had four characters i could recognize at test speed, and write them down with no errors. Hm, thats odd, because I CANT DO THIS!!

I wasnt even really TRYING, and within a week, i had six characters down cold. I mean like several minutes "just for the fun of it" here and there when bored. The second week, I started letting it play on and on while i sleep, and listening when home and runnign around. trying to ID characters in my head. Now, approaching two weeks time, only one wek of really trying, I am at 12 characters, threatening to bump it up to 13.

by the sacred electrically resonant balls of Zeus himself, thats half the damned alphabet!

"Aha!" you tell yourself, "there no USE to learning it". Any 11M (CB) guy worth his salt can tell you how you know someones "back in the noise" and cant punch thru and join the conversation, right? yeah, you cant hear words, just that damned roger beep punches thru loud and clear!!

that roger beep sounds suspiciously like a "DAH" code character to me. You can DOUBLE YOURE RANGE and maybe more by learning code, and what the heck, you have to anyways to get some priveleges. yes, sadly, its useful. (sigh) I feel like a hypocrite saying that, LMAO.

download k4fon "koch" method software, and especially because you CANT DO IT, just listen to it anyways. By the gods themselves, if someone would have allowed me to just STAND by the enemy goal, not play, just friggin STAND there, the ball would have bounced off me eventually, and took an accidental hop into the goal.

Well,thjats all you have to do, is just SIT there, and listen to the code, and within a couple weeks, you'll know half the alphabet. I SWEAR BEFORE GOD ALMIGHTY, it will happen.

Wow... looking back on it, theres a lot of stuff i "cant do". I cant weld, I cant tear an engine apart, i cant solder either. I cant keep fish alive for my fish tank. I cant shoot my gun accuracetly for benchrest practice, i cant reload accurate ammunition...the list of things i cant do goes on and on...

Guess what? all these things, I couldnt do, but kept doing them ANYHOW, and last time i checked, I DO ALL OF THESE THINGS, some quite well. Now morse code is rapidly becoming one of these things i "actually can do", that I "cant do" LMAO

g4fon software. Its free. code is useful, when you cant hear anything else, you can hear that damned roger beep.
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 08:49:42 AM »

I think you should also bone up on the english language as well.  .. -- .... ---
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:01:22 AM »

What's with all the "LAMO" stuff? If you would quit the "good ol' boy" persona and write plain (understandable) English without the all-caps emphasis, you will be much more effective in getting across what you are trying to stay.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 05:35:25 PM »

Your attitude of "can do" is appreciated.  When one looks up at the mountain and says "I can't climb that," then the truth is, they can't.  It's that simple.  Glad you found that out.  You'll do well in learning the code.

I have to go along with the others.  Your story was very difficult to read.  I don't know what grade you are in, but you may want to study harder in English grammar.  If they still teach that in school, and I'm not sure they do.  

Regardless of that, "can do" is what made America.  "Can't do" is what is breaking it.

Ed
KE4MOB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 06:37:59 PM »

"by the sacred electrically resonant balls of Zeus himself, thats half the damned alphabet!"

I don't think that was Zeus.  Van der Graff, maybe.
KDUV7462

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 08:10:58 PM »

Did Zeus hurl thunderbolts? then his nuts are a matched set of russian tubes, ha ha.

my spelling and grammer: glad it irritates some, I'm slightly irritated at the hyper-critical attitude to prospective newbie hams that might like to get into the hobby that a sizeable portion of people display. I get the chance to make someone just ITCH and BRISTLE? That truly warms the cockles of my heart. Enjoy.

I dont care; I wasn't aware off-the-cuff posts online were graded for spelling, punctuation, and content. You hate my emotes (LMAO, LOL, etc etc?) common on the internet. Since I'm not live, I cant inject variations in timbre, pitch and volume to my "voice", it gives it some tonal quality in a way, ha ha. If noting else, it's a fairly distinctive style.

For the record, I'm 38; I went to school on the tail end of the "real education". The SAT's were not watered down yet at that point. I type fast, and i am not going to "vet" my text for spelling, punctuation, etc. When I have to, I have a fair command of the english language, both from a technical writing standpoint, and fiction. Writing used to be a hobby, and i used to have to prepare lengthy technical briefs for higher-ups.

My early experiences on the internet involved a fair amount of "chatting", i picked up the emotes there; they now find their OWN way into my speech patterns when posting, my text is peppered with them through no accord of my own. I suppose someone would have a coronary if i referred to myself in the third person; a by product (somehow...) of working long hours on large fiction manuscripts. Its all i can do not to commit THAT particular sacrilege. If it will soothe the critics, perhaps you would prefer to think of the over generous use of emoticons, and abbreviations such as "gonna", "ain't" etc etc, as "local color" speech patterns. Or not. I dont care.

some of my hobbies are digital electronics and benchresting. My university degrees were in mathematics and comp sci, but i did junior projects for some the EE majors; they got A's on them. I program microprocessors in hex code by hand if I must. Give me a manual and tell me "big indian" or "little indian" and I feel at home.

My digital electronics is definitely much better than my AC, I will admit. AC can give me fits at times. I lack practical circuit building skills. I am CLOSE to being able to design a simple phone transceiver out of "spare parts", but can't seem to put everythign together; no doubt just reading in my spoare time is not enough, I didnt go to school for it.

I am far from stupid. But, if it makes you feel better to think so, because i refuse to check my spelling or use coarse grammar on my posts...whatever floats youre boat. I don't care.

If I had to hazard a guess? I'm probably closer to what most "old school" HAMS wish more mew prospective newcomers would be. But if it gives you a smug feling to assume I make fart noises at truckers with my CB, its a free country. I don't want to just buy some equipment and get talking in minutes after filling out a form.

But hey; have a ball.

PS - from a collective group that by reputation is supposed to be a cut above intellectually, would you please get more creative and decisive with attempts to make me cry? I am insulted if this is all you've got, frankly.

"Hah. Youre stupid. You dont know english well enough. You spell bad. Some of us are anal retentive and spend hours emailing people about minutiae concerning their spelling and bad grammar."

LMAO what a sad condition for you're life; I feel for you. Perhaps some medication would make you less obsessive compulsive, or alternatively, quit watching episodes of "Monk". He's not a role model, you know. You're supposed to laugh AT him, not identify with the characters oddball traits.

I should sincerely hope you can bring much more biting sarcasm and incisive wit to bear. Otherwise, it's kinda weak, really. Show me what you've got, and play like you have a pair. Up 'till now it just sounds like some cranky egotism. Background noise is more interesting (yawn).

"Nyah, Nyah! You're a doody-head...(Ththh-tpth)!!" should be not too far behind, I should think, at that point. (shakes head sadly...)

Or maybe i expect too much. Oh well, no matter. I have another hour of code listening to do; I seem to have hit a tiny snag with U and W somehow, a minor setback.

On a more positive note, I downloaded the pool for general; not TOO bad. Cant wait to memorize that one too. Reach for you're PeptoBismol, LMAO
THERAGE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 09:07:27 PM »

--. --- .-. - .... .-.. . ... ...  .--. .-. .- - - .-.. .  - ---  .... . .- .-.  ..- .-.  -... .-. .- -.  .-. .- - - .-.. .

.-.. --- .-..

--... ...--
KDUV7462

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 08:41:43 AM »

-. --- W TH .- T ... M --- .-. . .-.. .. K . .. T

C L . .- .-. T .-. .- -. ... M .. ... ... .. --- -. ... .- .-. . .. M P --- .-. T .- -. T

C L . .- .-. P --- ... - ... .- .-. . -. --- T

.. P .. C -.- . D ..- P "-." .- -. D "." F .-. --- M D . C --- D .. -. G Y --- ..- .-. P --- ... T

T H .. ... W --- ..- L D M .- K . .- G --- --- D F --- .-. ..- M .. D . .- F --- .-. -. . W B ... T --- L . .- .-. -. C --- D . Q ..- .. C K . .-.

--... ...--

P ... -. ..- M B . .-. ... T --- ---
NK7Q

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 09:54:41 AM »

Some constructive suggestions are in order. Your education should have taught you the importance of the use of Standard English when trying to make a point. Free flow of thought, such as evidenced in your post, is best left to Rolling Stone magazine. Frequent word capitalizations, words that should be capitalized but are not, lack of simple grammar and the use of emotes only serve to irritate your target audience, which was not your goal, I think. A CW QSO with you might be a difficult experience. Your original thought that learning CW is not that difficult after all was badly obscured by the way that you presented your ideas. My impression of your post when I first read it was that it was poorly thought-out and executed. Therefore, I subconsciously gave it less respect than it may have deserved, and even less respect after your hostile and inflammatory reaction to some constructive replies. Your message was completely lost in your presentation style. With spelling a grammar checkers so prevalent now, there is no excuse for such a presentation. Others will judge you by how they choose to present themselves. If it was your goal to irritate the group here, you have succeeded. If it was not your intention, then I suggest you rethink your attitude.

73s

Jim
KDUV7462

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 12:32:51 PM »

Yes, I can see all your points. My intention when i eventually make my first CW contacts would be to just CQ, get a response, exchange signal reports, and 73 out of there and clap myself on the back that i pulled it off. Extraneous rag chewing will be out of the question for some time.

I can understand all the old hands here are practically, if not actually, electronics enginers and such, by simple virtue of the level of homebrew work that gets done, working on their own rigs, etc etc.

that would lead a prospective new person here to couch language in something resembling a technical writeup. I can see this.

You might also appreciate, that when someone lands here from a search engine, and asks questions about homebrewing an 11M dipole, what then ensues. Its hard to maintain technical writing viewpoint and composure amidst the childish and rude inflammatory posts that ensue. Its about near the level of "He touched a CB at least once! He has cooties!"

you get a few posts that discuss the topic in the natural manner one would assume it would be handled with; for every couple of these normal responses, you get a chorus of childish inane gibberish. It is slightly maddening, and I find it an odd dichotomy.

You have a sizeable percentage of "members likely in good standing here" that are outright rude and boorish. The fact they check their spelling before they post, is hardly an excuse for it.

Its slightly irritating, and it gets in the way of education. When i set about benchrest handloading, I joined a highly rated forum, my first forum i had ever been a member of. My skill at the hobby increased at an exponential rate thereafter. Other experiences when choosing forums for this educational convenience have largely been the same; audio engineering, electronics, etc etc.

On other high end forums, rules and practices differ, but the people in charge put the squelch on such things as it drives people away. Myself, I am not thin skinned and whiny, and at some point i decided that if i was going to get a near constant stream of periodic childish irritation, it was obviously encouraged here, and when in rome, i would do as the romans.

I get poked with sticks, I start looking around for a small stick to play with like others are doing. It seemed to irritate by and large the very people that were irritating me, as people that answer posts politely seem not to notice.

I read the article "how new hams are treated" or whatnot, and my overall impresion was that the person was a tad too sensitive; on the other hand, I can definitely see where the author is coming from. It does get irritating.

Do i need a cerain number of posts, or to pass a particular exam element, then i am freely encouraged to be rude and inflammatory? (I'm being sarcastic). many years ago I decided that the more people try to discourage you from learning something, the more determined I get.

Or, alternately, do the people actually capable of something worthwhile here, just ignore the "interference" like radio operators ignoring drunken children that got hold of a rig near a highway? Just curious.

With my various hobbies, I can get along famously with mechanics, welders, cement workers, and in the next breath get on just fine with engineers and business owners. Audio work demands some curious juxtaposition between "hey, man, like wow..." talking with the musicians, and the other end of the spectrum dealing with other techs. This is oddly similar, somehow.

Honestly, people have told me that "hams are rude, egotistical, and argumentative in general. I cant stand them." I didnt understand that, as I had based my views on the few that I knew, and they seemed polite, intelligent, and well educated one way or the other.

Being here, I can see what they mean. Though its likely a comparatively small percentage, these people are quite irritating, like a gnat that buzzes you're ear now and again, but you know it will never end.

How in general do you guys that are rude hope to increase the ranks of the hams with this? In the benchresting and reloading community, there's constant reminders to be polite and courteous to any and all non gun owners you meet as you go about you're day, in order to put the collective groups "best foot forward".

It would be easy to blame it all on "thats what happens when you drop test requirements, and let CBers in... all manner of riffraff gets thru the door". Yet curiously, it seems to mainly be the preople with the older, superior grade of testing requirements (as well as a smattering of newer guys that think they make themselves look good by imitating these behavior patterns.

I didnt run this text through a spell checker or grammar program, but i think its clear and concise enough. I cuold be wrong.

so... yeah, I guess it was calculated to deliberately irritate.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 04:41:32 PM »

Geez, another no-name whiner.

Rude?

<< so... yeah, I guess it was calculated to deliberately irritate. >>

You are rude one!

Writing in a manner that is deliberately irritating (and rather childish, even for a 38 year old) is more than rude. Expecting readers to weed out the chat-room nonsense, poor grammar and spelling is more than rude.

Your attitude brought about the responses you received and personally, there are already enough hams with attiudes like that. More aren't needed.

Lon - W3LK
Baltimore, Maryland

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 07:38:22 PM »

Please ignore all the rude people demeaning your grammar.  There are lots of anhedonic folks here who
are not familiar with enthusiasm.

Good luck!
KDUV7462

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2006, 11:43:32 PM »

Oh no!

Poor grammar, and an egregious error at that!

what, are you stupid or something? Whats wrong with you? So ironic too, as youre lambasting me about spelling and grammar.

Quote:

"You are rude one! " What is that exactly, are you imitating the speech patterns of the "hollywood KGB guys" in the bond films? Now, that doesn't reflect too well on you're education. Errors are not to be tolerated.

(shakes head sadly)

I'm sorry, I shouldn't take the bait, sometimes I cant resist. Its like being surrounded by english teachers who just quit smoking cigarettes or something.

Lighten up. Take medication. Buy mice and bang on the cage all the time because they wont adjust to you're sleeping schedule. Whatever it takes for you to relax.
K5DVW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 09:39:06 AM »

Funny! No, really, funny!

Sorry, but I didn't read all you wrote. Too much verbosity for me as my attention span has been wrecked by little kids and beer.

The part I find the most funny or ironic is that on CW, nobody uses English in its full form.

So, maybe you'll do just fine!

TNX OM FER QSO 73 ES GL DE K5DVW
WA4DOU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 07:20:35 PM »

No surprise here. We've long known that "I can't" really means "I won't". The inability to express oneself clearly and succinctly is partly due to a failed educational system and a generational rejection of education in favor of drugs and pop culture.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: