Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking into new rig...  (Read 1162 times)
KC2ISO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 04:17:34 AM »

I see that the IC 718 comes with the UT-106 installed.
 Is that helpfull. I mean...does it make a vast improvment?
 Sorry I'm still trying to learn all this stuff.
N0MUD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 06:19:28 AM »

To Kc2iso you might want to look at the Yaesu FT-857D, it is a mobile rig, small but packs a big whallop.  Full 100 watts, covers HF/6, 2/440 and with all that in one little package you can't go wrong.  I know I have two.  One for my Yukon Denali, and the other for my travel trailer so when I go camping I take it and put it in my trailer and with my Arrow 2/440 dual band J-pole antenna and my Hustler 4BTV HF vertical antenna I am all set to work anything that comes my way when I am in the high country of Colorado at one of our high lakes.

So for your big rig, the FT-857D will do just exactly what you want it to do.  It is small but big enough for you with everything that it does.  Go ahead and read up on the FT-857D then compare it to the others.  The FT-897D will work too but remember it is bigger than the 857D and takes up more room, but it programs exactly the same as the 857D, I know I have one of those too.

Go ahead buy a FT-857D you wont be sorry, its a great small rig that does it all except Satellite of course.

73's Mike, N0mud
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »

The Yaesu FT-897D and FT-857D are just OK.  Yes, they do everything in one box but the receiver performance is mediocre.  They have a lot of internally generated noise.  Most DC to daylight rigs (HF/VHF/UHF in one small box) compromise performance to squeeze it all in there.  Many hams have never heard a truly brilliant receiver and think all that noise is supposed to be there.  It's not.  An FT-897D or FT-857D are NOT what I'd recommend.

The Icom IC-718 is bare bones.  The UT-106 does a great job at noise reduction but you'll hear lots of CW signals all at once.  You then need to add a filter which Icom wants $150 for to turn it into a decent CW rig.  Remember, you've got a SCAF filter in your Index Labs rig.  There is no equivalent in the IC-718 so you have to buy that crystal filter.  Again, this is not the way I'd go.

The Ten Tec Argonaut V is the absolute best value new under $1,000.  The IF DSP filters are superb so you effectively have a full array of CW and SSB filters at your disposal at no extra cost.  The receiver performance is superb as is the audio.  Once you've had Ten Tec's full QSK you won't want a CW rig that doesn't have it.  The difference between 20W and 100W (roughly 6dB) is minimal 95-97% of the time.  The rest of the time, particularly on SSB, it will make a difference in making a contact.  On CW you'll pretty much work everyone you can hear and with the receiver in an Argonaut V and a decent antenna you'll hear whatever can be heard.  Great choice.

Another possibility is to just use what you have.  You'll be amazed what you can work at 5W on CW.  

Another rig I like is by Icom but it's not the IC-718.  It's the little IC-703Plus.  Very, very good receiver (though not quite the Argonaut V), built in antenna tuner, low power consumption, small size, and generally a great little radio.  6m is a huge plus.  Again, like the IC-718 you will want to add a filter, either an FL-52A or FL-53A or the Inrad equivalents, same as the IC-718.  Again, particularly on CW you'l find 10W do be quite adequate probably 90% of the time.  You certainly won't lack for people to have QSOs with.

Overall, if your not planning on portable, battery powered operation I'd choose the Ten Tec Argonaut V over the IC-703Plus.  

Caity
K7VO/9
KC2ISO

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »

WOW! Great stuff here. Tnx guys.
 So many to choose from!
 Portability is a plus of course, but at the moment going over the road might be out of the ?.
 It's just something that I'm pondering. The wife and kids don't wont me togo, but the money need's to come in, and my local driving job doesn't pay all that much. I could stay their for alittle while longer, but sometime it's going to have to go.
 So this is the reason why I'm going this way with choice's of radio's. Also the fact that this is my spending limit.
 For the time being it will be my main rig at my QTH.
 If I go over the road then it's nice to know that I don't have to worry about purchasing another rig.
Anybody relate?

That Argonaut V has me baffled with it's 35 filters.
 I can't imagin what the radio sounds like at the RX!
 As far as copying CW for practise, I was lended a Kenwood TS140 a while back. I thought it was the bees knees, till I picked up my QRP+. Now the Kenwood is back in the owners hands...hehe.
 Between the FT-857d and the FT-897d, I'd prolly go with the 897. If anything...just for it's looks Smiley

The IC-703+ seems to be a good choice as well. In fact...(don't hate me), I'd have to stick that in with the same catagory as the Ten-Tec right?
 Thay are both QRP. One costing $900., and the other costing alittle less once the filters are purchased.
 Does that seem fair to say?
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2006, 05:50:33 AM »

There are a lot of way you could go.  I love Ten Tec radios to the point I've had 11 of them, but if you want something in a nice price range for mobile, I see Many Icom 706 Mk IIs in the 600-700 dollar range every day here, on QTH.com, and in other places.  The Ten Tec Scout is a 50 watt rig, but the better you get at CW the less you will like it becaue there are issues when you get around 25 wpm, according to what I read.  Get something with a built-in keyer for convenience. Tuning a mobile rig is also a consideration if you don't get something with an autotuner.  Good luck!
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2006, 05:33:12 PM »

Take a look at the Elecraft K2. You can build it in stages, and add as you get funds and time. I am thinking of going that route. Basic rig is about 650 to your door, you assemble it and get on the air. Add DSP, more power, SSB, etc as you go. Take a look at their receiver specs, they compare with other 10K rigs.

Mike
AI4NS
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 09:37:33 AM »

The Argonaut V, at 20W, is not QRP.  QRP on CW is 5W or less.  The Icom IC-703 (and I have one) isn't half the radio the Argonaut V is.  Yes, I like it for portable operation because of the lower power consumption, but the DSP is noise reduction only.  You still have to add a CW filter and the ones from Icom (FL-52A or FL-53A) are *expensive*.  The rig ends up costing more than the Ten Tec.

35 filters just means 35 different possible bandwidths.  You only use one at a time.

The Icom IC-706MkIIG is another rig I don't recommend.  It is old technology, has a high receiver noise floor, and it is prone to overload when connected to a big antenna at the home shack. I'd rate it below the FT-857D.  In terms of performance it wouldn't even be an upgrade over your QRP++.

Again, you are going to do just fine with 20W.

Caity
K7VO
KC2ISO

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 10:48:45 PM »

Hey gang,
 With so many folks giving me advise on what direction I should look into, I thought a follow-up was in order.
 I can't leave people hangin..ya know?
 Before I say what I went with, I just wanted you fine folks to know that I'm very greatfull for all the advise given. And I did take all the advise to heart as best as possible. After all....I can't afford to buy a radio all the time, so my money must be spent as best as possible.

So a half hour drive down to HRO in DE, I started to talk to some folks their that seem to be what you would call a regular customer(s), and the folks sitting behing the counter.
 Some were Ten-tec fans to a degree, of course praising about their CW feature's. But there wasn't much liking after that.
 While I'm on the subject...I decided to sign up for the Ten-Tec mailing list just to get a feel for the company, and customers. I certanly have an opinion about them now that differ's to what it once was, but I'm not going to air that out here.
 I'm sure all the major mfg.'s have issue's.

So with out wasting anymore time ,Let me tell ya...
 I'm a proud owner of an FT-857D, w/ 500hz CW filter.
 I can't really give an all out review as of yet.
 But what I can say is WOW! What a little machine this thing is! Compared to my QRP+...well thats a joke! Although I'll never get rid of that radio either. That will always have a place in my shack.
 But this FT-857D is unreal.
 I could go on and on about this rig, but thats for another time and place.
 I can't thank you guys and gals enough for helping me out.
tnx
jeff
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: