Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A little story about the "I cant do code"  (Read 1432 times)
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 11:24:21 AM »

Never mind the nay-sayers.

Some people aren't happy unless they have something to whine about.

You've learned the hard part already. It's simple. If you think you can, you can. And of course if you think you can't, you can't.

Many people say that ham radio is like a fraternity. Well, if that is so, then morse code it its secret handshake.

Keep up the good work on learning the code, and I hope to find you on the air some day, on CW of course.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
KC9HVN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »

Well, like some of the previous posters, I didn't read the whole thing, but... the concept was good. Learning code well enough to pass the 5wpm test isn't that hard, and a weak excuse for those who claim otherwise.

My first few QSO's were a rude awakening though, it takes a fair amount of skill to be conversant, to send your thoughts on the fly as it where... doesn't happen till you hear letters and words, and not dits and dahs.

73's
Mark
AB9LZ
K3ESE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 05:15:21 AM »

Glad you've found your way into code...but if you sent code the way you write, you'd not have many satisfying QSOs. Your post was about what you were willing to do to learn the code...the English language is just another form of code, which we use to communicate. What are you willing to do to learn to use it? Putting a brave face on your difficulty with written communication by saying you did it on purpose, to irritate, while seemingly striking back at those who criticized your "writing" style, actually is pretty damned lame...know what I mean?
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 05:00:58 AM »

...."Honestly, people have told me that "hams are rude, egotistical, and argumentative in general. I cant stand them.".....

Excuse me, but you forgot cranky, cantankerous, and discourteous; oft-practiced and apparent required elements of all ops. Yes, building the ranks through good will. That's how we do it. Wink  But I digress. Concerning your learning of the code, if I may suggest.  A practice oscillator and key is extremely helpful in learning. Sending the letter after hearing it reinforces the code element. Keep bangin' and avoid detractors at all costs.  K3GM

OLDFART13

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2006, 10:35:23 AM »

KDUV7462

Nice post OM.  I'm glad that you learned that if you just sit around and cry "I can't do it." then you can't do it.  You finally gave it an honest try and found YOU CAN DO IT!

Good job.

Don't worry about the wanna be english teachers who want to grade your posts only on spelling, grammar etc.  This is only an internet forum not the National Enquirer.  Sure, if you had written this for an eham main page article you should have cleaned it up some, but it's written fine for this forum.

Keep up the good work.

KBRD3503
KC9GPJ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 07:13:52 PM »

"The part I find the most funny or ironic is that on CW, nobody uses English in its full form.

So, maybe you'll do just fine!

TNX OM FER QSO 73 ES GL DE K5DVW" <<quote

LOL, very true
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2006, 04:50:08 AM »

Had it not been stated he was in his thirties, I would guessed that he was twenty-five, at the oldest.

I, myself, had no problem reading the original post.  I am also twenty-one years old and this is the way that we communicate with each other.  Not just in written communication, but also in verbal communication.  I have actually talked to friends where we would actually say "lol" or "lmao."

I think that it is good we as a ham community are trying to cummunicate on a younger level.  After all, todays teens and young adults are the future of amateur radio.

This is just my two cents

Joel Pelz
kc9atj
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: