Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rules violations on 60 meters  (Read 9832 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »

I am not so sure about the violation here.  When you use channel for SSB you likely use 2.5khz of spectrum or so on that channel. Why is 10 or more PSK31 signals in that same spread a violation if it is in same "channel"?  

I wish they allowed multiple PSK and CW stations on each channel, too. But that is not the way it is presently. I studied it all but forget where to look ...

I just found it. Here's a letter from the NTIA to the FCC. http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment/view?id=6016996545

Clearly, only one signal per channel is permitted.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:12:16 PM by W0BTU » Logged

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 05:48:34 AM »

Clearly, only one signal per channel is permitted.

No. The regulation and that letter stop short of prohibiting, for example, one ham on sideband on 5403.5 and another on cw on 5405.0. Both stations on the same channel.

Besides, there's no way to limit even a single frequency to one signal. How would I know, at noon, that hams are chatting on Guam? Or within my skip zone, say, 200 miles away in the evening? Being in Missouri, I often hear east coast (or Euro) stations sharing a channel with stations out west.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 02:49:33 PM »

No. The regulation and that letter stop short of prohibiting, for example, one ham on sideband on 5403.5 and another on cw on 5405.0. Both stations on the same channel.

" ... Accordingly, NTIA requests that 47 C.F.R. Section 97.303(h) continue to require that amateur stations transmit only on the five center frequencies allocated to the amateur service. ... "

I think maybe you're right, based on that sentence.

I have some things I'd like to say in reply based on some other things I've read, but since I don't know where to find them, I guess I'll wait and see what the April QST says.

In the meantime, I'm certainly going to follow the NTIA's "request" as if it were definitely a rule. Their position in the rest of that letter is very clear: if we hear another station on a given channel, then they do not want us to transmit. They gave us those privileges, and they can take them away.

EDIT: I just found something new. The next-to-the-last paragraph says "Currently, 47 C.F.R. Section 97.303(h) requires that amateur stations transmit on five assigned (center) frequencies."

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:42:35 PM by W0BTU » Logged

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 08:27:26 AM »

Just out from the League regarding 60 meter confusion:

http://www.arrl.org/news/60-meters-one-week-later
N4UJW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 05:31:04 AM »

The Federal Register has THE rules...see them at this link:
https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2012/02/03/2012-2477/amateur-radio-use-of-the-allocation-at-5-mhz

W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 11:45:41 AM »

Time for ARRL to get things resolved. 

60 has been enjoyable here in Ohio, and only one strong but reasonably polite request for a Quick EMCOMM Net  to go elsewhere since the channel is a recognized DX  channel.
Since the primary  purpose of  60M is for emcomm raffic ( which is very limited to date) Id say the nets can have their quick schedules to get the hang of the propagation and each others capabilities. 

That said, we use the channels or lose them so all kinds of approved activities should be encouraged until Disaster Time/Emcomm/.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »

to get the hang of the propagation and each others capabilities

I think your net will find propagation and capabilities on channel 4 to be much like those of the DX channel 5.  LOL!

How is the ARRL going to "resolve" the use of a channel (ch 5) that is in use by 50 countries, not just the USA? We don't own the band. We weren't even there early on. The ARRL has said channel 5 is the "de facto DX channel."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:55:11 AM by K0OD » Logged
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 12:01:10 AM »

60 meters would be an ideal spot for pactor 4 as soon as
it is allowed in the USA
Art
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: