Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your experiences with Radio Arena's Data-Mode cable-assembliers?  (Read 3307 times)
VK5CQ

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2012, 05:08:36 AM »

Hello,

I didn't notice any reviews for Data Mode cable assemblies made by Radio Arena, so I hope we get some answers here. (About US$ 50/ set)

I've only seen Radio Arena's Data Mode cables in ads, ie, never in person...
How well do these simple cable assemblies work, eg, with VX-7R (for training),
VX-1700 or FT-879D or Kenwood TS440S/AT? We may also try to put an old
ICOM IC-751 to work as a digital mode (eg, PSK) radio.

Thanks,

Chuck, VK5CQ
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »

Hi Chuck!

I am just going to throw in my2.5cents worth.
If you are looking at buying a Interface for each Radio that may end up being a little on the expensive side.

If I could make a recommendation this is what I have. I own 3 Tigertronics Signalink USB Interfaces.

The 1st two are dedicated to the Base for HF and VHF/UHF.

The 3rd is my all Multi-Rig setups being the Icom 703, 28A 2mtr mobile, W32A and Knwd TH-75 VHF/UHF HT's.

The Signalink USB is configured for the Icom 703 using the 6pin din DataPort.  

For the remaining Radios I have a common cable that I use which has a DB-9 Female connector on one end and RJ-45 on the other to the Signalink.

I have individual cables wired up for the Radios using a DB-9 Male connector going to the Signalink common cable and then the Cable going to the Radio.

Note this may require a little bit more work on you end BUT it might be worth it.

The Yaesu VX-7R requires a 4pin mini Stereo Plug. Also if you look at page 11 of the Radio's User Manual you will also see it requires a Resistor and Capacitor for the PTT and Mic Audio lines.

Also I think you meant to say FT-897D. Note both the FT-897D and the Vertex VX-1700 both use the 6pin Mini Din Jacks so they are common to one another but unfortunately unlike the Yaesu Manual the Vertex User Manual does not show the Pin outs on that Jack. Also the Vertex does not support CAT control.

The Kenwood uses a 13pin DataPort (ACC2) which works nicely. Also note NO CAT control unless you want to spend more money to do that.

Regarding the Icom 751 is uses a 24pin Molex type DataPort (ACC) I just help another Ham who has a Icom 730 that uses the 24pin Jack. If you dont already have the Plug I can ask him where he ordered his from. He just got it up and running with the Signalink USB.

Anyway I have yet to run into anyone using the Radio Arena's Sound Card Interface.

A couple of things to keep in mind with the Signalink USB is it requires only 2 cables to operate, Radio and USB.
Built in Sound Card, VOX Operate Relay for PTT, Powered off USB Port, Front Panel Controls for TX/RX Level Controls and PTT Delay control.

Good Luck and hope to see you on the Waterfall

73 de Steve KB6HOH

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 03:26:45 PM by KB6HOH » Logged
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »

Chuck,

I tried to send you an Email with the address listed on QRZ (VK5CQ@ARA.CX), it was bounced back to me.
If you have time shoot me an Email. kb6hoh@comcast.net

73 de Steve KB6HOH
KF5FMP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »

Don't bother. Gave mine away, friend couldn't get it to work either (same radio.)
Build quality is good, however since the thing doesn't work, complete rubbish.

It does have a nice LED that lights up when you set RTS, but forget about keying PTT.

Worst. Customer. Service. Ever.
Extremely condescending, even returned it for replacement (at least he did that.)
Still doesn't work. Gave up after he refused any sort of support, and was indignant when he pretty much insulted me.
Manual is confusing, and probably written by a non-native English speaker (which is weird, since I think he's from Scotland.)

Have yet to find a positive review (or pretty much any for that matter.)
M3KXZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:46:38 AM »

Just for a bit of balance, I have the Radioarena cable for the Yaesu with the 6 pin mini DIN data connection. Absolutely NO problems with it at all. Installed driver for the PL2303 USB-serial chip, connected everything up, went into COM ports in hardware devices, and there it was... Started Fldigi, put in the correct COM port number, and all worked straight away. USB PTT keying works properly, audio in and out works properly.

Pete M3KXZ
GQRP 11767
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: