Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SKCC Weekend Sprintathons  (Read 2926 times)
K5BJS

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:40:03 PM »

Anyone here participate in the SKCC Weekend Sprintathons?  What would a typical contact look like, from start to finish?
K4ZS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »

Pretty much what the rules ask for.  This was copied from the WA7BNM contest website:
 example: W5BJS - RST + Name + (state/province/country) + (SKCC No./"NONE") - K4ZS or
W5BJS 599 Randy FL 7212 K4ZS.
Thats the way I would present it and I write the exchange format on a piece of paper and lat it in front of me for reference during the contest.  It's been a while since I worked an SKCC contest though.  I know this is late but maybe useful for next time.
73 Randy K4ZS   
K5BJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:28:02 PM »

Something like the following then?

CQ WES DE K4ZS
K5BJS
K5BJS 599 Randy FL 7212 K4ZS
K4ZS 599 BRAD TX 8875 K5BJS
TU K4ZS
K4ZS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:24:12 PM »

Brad
The report looks good but what I do when I want to call cq is use:  "CQ Test de K4ZS k" and I might repeat it again in sequence then follow by a short quick call of the same cq every few seconds until I initiate a response.  Remember its CW so you want to keep it short as possible and normally in any contest the shorter the better for any exchange.  I don't know if you did anything with this contest but listening is your best teacher.  See what rhythm and phrase the other participants are using to aid in your composition of a phrase/s.  I love contesting and have been doing it for a few years.  Here's a good website if you haven't already found one.  http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php .  This website will give you what contest are coming up in the next 8 days plus the next 12 months.  Also tells you what the exchange is, points, multipliers and many more useful items about the contest.  Have fun and hope this helps and makes sense.
73 Randy K4ZS
NR0U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 08:11:03 AM »

K5BJS,

I participated over the weekend and regularly participate in the SKCC events.  Generally, the exchange is the same for most SKCC events.

RST
Name
QTH (name and QTH are often swapped between 2nd and 3rd piece of info)
SKCC number

The most common CQ you will hear is CQ WES CQ WES - for the weekend sprint.  In two weeks is the Straight Key Sprint, so you will hear or call CQ SKS CQ SKS.

Otherwise you get the usual variations.  Some send "Lance Lance CO CO" , some send "OP Lance  QTH CO"...
Two weeks until SKS, enjoy!

Lance
K5BJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:51:54 AM »

I don't know if you did anything with this contest but listening is your best teacher.

I managed to stumble through one contact.   Smiley  I'm very much a novice at CW operation, still getting my feet wet with CW rag chews.  Sample ragchew QSOs appear to be quite different from sample contest QSOs.   Smiley
K4ZS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:05:04 PM »

Congrats and hope you had a lot of fun making that one contact. 
73 Randy K4ZS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: