Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remoterig via inet sharing in hotel  (Read 12465 times)
K5AX

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:04 AM »

I have enabled connection sharing on one laptop (LT 1). Then connected to Inet via WIFI on LT1 and plugged LT2 into LAN port of LT1 but could not get an IP to be assigned to LT2.

The reason, thinking that if I had the Inet on LT1 I could plug REMOTERIG Controller into the lan port and remotely control the rig. 

Just in case I took my gear with me on a trip this weekend and tried it in a hotel, but no luck.

Do I need a router between LT1 and the device to assign an IP address to it? Or what?

I am an "old Tech" but an I-T novice

73 de Tom K5AX
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »

I am not sure why you are using two laptops here and why you want to link them via LAN port too?

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K5AX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »

using 2 laptops to verify the ICS on LT1 is working before knocking myself with the 1258 Control (if it isn't working)
73 de Tom K5ax
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »

LT1 is not going to have a DHCP server to assign an IP address to LT2. Try setting the Ethernet (LAN) port on LT1 and LT2 to use fixed IP addresses and assign two addresses on the same subnet (for example 192.168.10.2 for LT1 and 192.168.10.3 for LT2, both with 255.255.255.0 network masks). On LT2 put the IP address used for LT1 into the default gateway spot. You may also need to manually set the primary and secondary DNS IP addresses on LT2 if you are going to use domain names on the Internet.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:49:41 PM by AA4PB » Logged
W0ZF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:15:06 PM »

Assuming you're using Windows Internet Connection Sharing on LT1, you will need to do the following:
1) configure LT2 with a static IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.  IP address 192.168.0.2, Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, and default gateway of 192.168.0.1 should work fine for LT2 if LT1 is XP or older.  I believe Windows 7 uses a different subnet.
2) use a CROSSOVER cable between LT1 and LT2. Both PCs want to transmit on pins 1/2 and recieve on pins 3/6, so you can't connect them with a normal straight-thru ethernet cable. You can get a crossover cable at any computer store.

If you can get this working, you should be able to just replace LT2 with the RemoteRig, as long as you set up the RemoteRig with the same IP/Netmask/Gateway that you used on LT2.

I assume you're using a laptop and ICS (as opposed to connecting directly) because most hotels these days have only wireless (not wired) guest networks, and most force you to agree to terms of service and/or enter a password through the browser before they actually connect to the Internet.

Let us know how it works out!
73 de W0ZF
WA2TTP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 03:46:11 PM »

I tried to use my Remoterig system in two motels on my way home from Florida to NY and it didn't work in either one.

I logged onto the motel wireless and then created a network bridge to the lan port on my laptop where the Remoterig unit was plugged in. No go.

I've used this same configuration at my home, my Florida condo, my nieghbors wireless, my son in laws work location and my daughters home wireless without issue.

I suspect the motel systems block some or all of the ports Remoterig needs to function.

I was able to use my serial server connection to operate my power supplies etc using N8LP remote control board. My rotor control software also worked ok via the serial server using both motels wireless connections.

One of the motels had a note on the login instructions about VPN's not being supported. That may be a hint as to why Remoterig didn't work.

There may be a way around this. I don't usually bother with motel ops but tried it just to see if it would work.

Steve,
WA2TTP
K7CF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »

I used remote rig with my TS480S.
Once I got the remote router configured (write up was more confusing but turned out to be a simple fix),
I connected the base (where the rig base with transmitter enclosed) I hooked up the Remote (head of ts480)
to the internet. Nothing to configure on the internet at the remote location. I just powered on the
TS480 SAT and the remote rig black box and away I went.
I later hooked up a Netgear WIFI unit instead of connecting directly to the Internet hard wired.

It worked great. I could go all over the house and plug in the 12 volt 1amp wall wart to power the
Remote Rig and Ts 480 head.

Another fellow has run local nets from 2000 miles away. We did not know he was remote.

There is a forum on the remoterig dot com website that has a lot of expertise.

Like most of the "new toys" once I got it working, played with it for 2 weeks and then
unplugged it. I have to harden the lightning isolation circuit and just have not gotten around
to that yet. There are also remote boxes to disconnect antennas and power via internet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: