Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Should I Get For My Yaesu FT-60R?  (Read 8792 times)
KF7SWC

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »

I'm new in the hobby and I plan on buying this HT.  What things should I also get at the same time while purchasing that many would think is essential to have?  Just want to cover my bases early  Wink
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 12:13:46 PM »

A list to get you started!
A separate battery case to let you operate with AA Alkalines when you can't recharge.
An separate earpiece and microphone
A programming cable to let you load your memories from your PC
A 12V charging cable to let you recharge the HT in the car, but that might tempt you to operate in the car with your HT, which can be very distracting.
An SMA to SO-239 pigtail cable, to let you connect to external antenna (fixed or mobile) without putting stress on the connector on the radio

enjoy!

Fred, KQ6Q
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »

A case with a solid belt loop, not one of the cheap clips that's just begging to have the radio end up LCD-first on the pavement.

After trying to find a leather case for my phone, I ended up on Etsy - there are a lot of homebrew/maker type people who'll do custom work for reasonable prices Smiley
KF7SWC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »

Thanks guys! Grin
AG6WT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:28:20 AM »

Not mentioned yet:

* Nifty Manual for your glove compartment or go bag.

* ARRL Repeater Directory.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »

>> ... What things should I also get at the same time while purchasing that many would think is essential to have?

No one can intelligently answer you - because we have no idea what you intend to do with your new radio, nor do we know what is happening in your region as far as repeaters.

I mean, right out of the box I can hit scores of repeaters with the FT-60R and its stock accessories. But that is because I live in a valley in Southern California, surrounded by mountaintop repeater systems.

But if it is more of a "stretch" for you to hit some distant repeaters, an antenna improvement may be in order.

Camp a lot? Or go on trips where AC might not be available? Then the FBA-25 AA alkaline case will come in handy. You can populate it with AA alkalines (or NiMH) and have full TX power (if you really need it).

If you travel a lot, the programming software package makes programming the radio painless. You upload your local set of memories now, and then program a "travel set" for a trip. Then just re-upload the local stuff when you return.

I have digested the 84-page users manual for you to one page - find my "cheat sheet" on the DOCS page at ...

http://www.k6lcs.com

Don't forget to add "Work the FM Ham Satellites" to your list of things to do with your new radio! Complete details on that are at ...

http://www.work-sat.com

Join a local club! Go to http://www.arrl.org and click on CLUBS. Then enter your Zip Code, and see what is nearby. There you will quickly
learn what is happening in your area. AND probably run into other FT-60R owners, too!

Clint K6LCS
909-241-7666
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 10:54:06 AM by K6LCS » Logged

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:00 PM »

When I got my first HT, the thing that made the biggest improvement in performance was an external antenna.  I bought some coax cable with connectors, and an SO-239.  I put together a home brew 2 meter ground plane, stuck it on a broomstick, and taped it to a vent pipe on my roof.  I was amazed that even with my 5 watt HTX-202, I was able to hit repeaters some 40 miles away!  Smiley

K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »

>> ... 5 watt HTX-202, I was able to hit repeaters some 40 miles away!

That's nuthin' ... (grin). We're hitting systems 500+ miles away with a Watt or two ... ham satellites AO-27 and SO-50 are workable with HTs like the FT-60R, and a meager antenna improvement!

Clint K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
KJ6TJX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »

Couple of more options I've found handy...

By using an SMA to BNC adapter for the top of the radio, it's easy to switch between antennas and preserve integrity of the SMA socket.  I have a Diamond SRH77 (15") for distance portable and also pop it on an MFJ window mount for car use.  It works so well, I doubt I'll put a fixed 2 meter rig in the car.  With a BNC "ducky" its easy to go from car to portable and back.

The Slim Jim J-pole is a great antenna for home, camping, motel rooms... further extending range and flexibility. 

I'm lucky to live in an area with lots of repeater boxes up high on surrounding hills and local mountains (SF Bay area).  Your milage may vary. 

Have fun!

Jon - KJ6TJX
KD0NGX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 07:56:54 AM »

I have an FT-60R I use and like it a lot.

I got a Comet SMA 24 antenna which helps a lot.

This page has info about leather cases that will work:

http://forums.radioreference.com/amateur-radio-equipment/196919-case-ft-60-a.html
KK4MSE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 02:05:01 PM »

I ordered the ARRL repeater directory and Nifty manual (a card really) with my FT-60R.
These are the bare minimum. MY SRH77 and magnet mount are on their way.
I'm piecing together a "go bag" for the radio and will add a spare battery, AA holder,
car charger, and hand mike as I go. For now I'm using a cheap zippered tool bag from
Lowe's, later I may get a nice tactical bag. I can throw in my old Pro-70 scanner and
FRS radios if needed.
I'm a new ham and have been enjoying my FT-60R for a few months now.
Good luck!
N7DMA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 07:07:14 PM »

Get the speaker mic. And the mobile charger, plugs into the lighter socket. Add an inexpensive programming cable from ebay, and free software (FT60 commander). Slick, easy programming. Also, you may want the AA battery holder.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 05:23:08 AM »

What do you want to do with the handheld?  Extended operation?  Noisy environment?  Nobody can actually give you an answer that will please you entirely, the real answer depends on how and what you're going to use the radio for.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: