Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT60R for Digital Modes  (Read 2340 times)
KC9UIJ

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:22:57 PM »

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I currently only own a single radio and that is my ht. (FT-60R)
http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=6EC43B29CEF0EC2B4E19BB7371688B7F&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

I have grown interested in trying some of the digital modes such as psk31.
However I have limited funds and can only use my radio (Cant afford a TNC).
So I researched and learned of sound card digital modes. Now I understand I need
to connect the radio to my sound card and then use a program to decode/encode
the data. If I understand I would need this cable.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0060tnc.html

Now my question is if I connect this cable to my radio and then the cable to my sound card
will I be able to encode and decode messages with somethings such as digipan. Without my radio
exploding from my sound card over volting/Ampimg it? If this method does work what are some
problems I may have? would ptt work? (I am running Ubuntu Linux)

Thanks for you time on Perhaps obvious questions.
-KC9UIJ
KB6HOH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »

Harpo,

Hello and Greeting from the SF Bay Area.
Well I don't know how much PSK-31 on VHF you will find in your area BUT if you are looking to get into the Digital Modes the one program that comes to mind is FLdigi at www.w1hkj.com and download FLdigi. FLmsg and FLwrap. This MultiMode, MultiOS (Windows, Apple Mac OS x and Linux) will do not only PSK-31 but also MT63.
Fldigi is intended for Emcomm usage BUT also does very well for Rag Chewing and soforth. Now onto interfacing.
Well just the CT-44 will not work other than for receiving. You can take the Receive Audio from the 4 pin plug and connect to the Mic Jack on the PC. For Transmitting that is a little bit more involved. If you look at page 11 of the Yaesu User Manual you will see a Capacitor and Resistor network that is required for passing the TX Audio and also for activating the PTT. Also you need some sort of an Interface having a Audio Transformers to Isolate the Radio from the PC. If you are into Home Brewing you might want to checkout the following Website:
http://www.qsl.net/wm2u/interface.html
You can also go online and do a search as well. I think one is finding a stand alone 4pin 2.5mm cable will be the challenge other than buying the CT-44 Adapter.
My tired old eyes just read that you are using Ubuntu. Fldigi is just the ticket for you. Also checkout this Yahoo User Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/linuxham
You could also just do whats called Acoustical coupling. This is where if you want to receive is put the PC's Mic next to the Radio's Speaker and then for TX the Radio's Mic next to the PC's speakers.
Now in my humble opinion I would work on upgrading my License and get a better Radio.
Drop me a line if you have any other questions.

73 de Steve KB6HOH
                                           kb6hoh(AT)comcast(DOT)net
KG6IRW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 10:20:01 PM »

I do not believe the HT will operate in USB, which is required for most HF band digital work like PSK31.   I am also not aware of much of any digital work on VHF/UHF outside of satellite and EME activity.

For these reasons, I would suggest you plan on getting an all-band rig.  With a Tech ticket, you do have access to parts of the 10 meter band where you will find digital modes active.  If the Yaesu HT can receive SSB and has some general coverage, you can decode what is going on by running a patch cable to you PC sound card input and downloading something like FLdigi.

Hope that helps!

Cheers and 73,

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: