Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 630 meters  (Read 42202 times)
AC2EU

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2013, 09:30:00 AM »

K0OD:
My antenna is a 43' HF vertical. A proper 1/4 wave vertical would be 500' feet tall! Tiny antennas can hear well on 630 meters; while they don't pick up much signal, they don't pick up much noise either. 

I'm using a 160M dipole at my QTH, so I have about an 1/8 wave...  Cheesy
The importance of having a resonant antenna for a band is very evident as I click through other antennas to get to the proper one.
It's quite dramatic. This is why I wonder about the popularity of the G5RV which is isn't really resonant anywhere.  Huh

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »

The original G5RV was 'resonant' - resistive feed impedance - on 14MHz, where it was a 3 half wave dipole fed through a half wave open wire feeder, and then ran via 75 ohm coax to the rig.

Of course, it also came out in the days when transmitters had tubes and pi networks, so matching was not much of a problem.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »

I'm not suggesting that a 43' vertical offers anything special on 630 meters. It amounts to a 43' random hunk of wire. It's just what I have at hand. It's not even very usable for transmitting on 160 meters unless base loading is added.

I don't want to tie up this homebrew group too much. There are several email lists devoted to longwave. Most of the 630 meter guys use: http://w7ekb.com/mailman/listinfo/600mrg_w7ekb.com   You can learn their transmitting schedules from that group.

The beacons on 630 operate quite differently than the low power propagation beacons on ten meters and VHF. Because of the high power used, the beacons on 630 don't usually transmit 24/7. They're often off the air as their owners are playing with new ideas. They try different modes. And they vary their power.

K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

Andrew et al: Still not heard anything positive regarding when US hams will get this band. However, since my last posting in March I have continued to build and modify the existing 630 meter station here. I was able to increase the vertical height of the inverted L to 70 feet--95 feet horizontal. I replaced all the hardware and ropes at this time.

I built, from scratch, another low-pass filter capable of safely handling the higher power output (600 watts) from the previously mentioned 3-1000Z final amplifier. With a lower powered low-pass filter connected between the output of the exciter/driver and the PA's input and the new QRO filter in the output of same  , I measure all spurs and harmonics greater than -60 dbc. This is a -15 db improvement and  a well worthwhile addition to the station. Both of these filters are in series in the receive line as well. The  intermod from the local 10 KW 640  and 690 Khz AM broadcast transmitters 5 miles away are no longer a problem on receive.

So.....what's next?? Going fishing.

Good Luck with your projects. Enjoy....it's a hobby!!!!

73, Bunky, K4EJQ, ( now in the trout stream!!!!!!)
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: May 02, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »

Andrew et al;
This thread seems to have "played out" now. Just wanted to let you all know that the new amplifier is putting out 800 watts now. Everything in it as well as the W1VD designed low-pass filter is running nicely. All spurs down -60dbc-cool operation. 1 KW  looks like an achievable goal with the 3-1000Z. The efficiency of the amplifier is 66% at 475 KCS. 2500 volts on the plate @ 35 watts rf drive. Hope to work you folks when the day comes-still no word yet. Back to the basement. 73, Bunky, K4EJQ
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2013, 01:33:42 AM »

Let us know when you are able to put 800 watts into your antenna Bunky. Meanwhile my 40w is getting me 5w eirp and all the range I expect on MF. Has any amateur done Transatlantic CW on the band yet I wonder.
Hope the fishing was good.
Andrew
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2013, 08:47:33 AM »

Has any amateur done Transatlantic CW on the band yet I wonder.

No doubt the best east coast stations could make it across the Atlantic especially with some of the extreme weak signal modes... digital and QRSS. But I think current US experimental licenses specifically prohibit international contacts. Is Canada on the band? 
K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:27 PM »

The DEVIL made me do it!!!! Flame suit on.  25,000 + "hits" and counting.
Hello all; My last post to this thread was in May of this year. At this writing I have NO idea of what's become of the proposals to implement the 630 meter band. Nothing has appeared in QST or any of the web sites I frequent.  I have asked several of the original experimental 600 meter license holders  for info but have come up short.

Does anyone know what is the status for the proposed 630 meter for US amateurs??  PLEASE share it with us.

Thanks in advance.

73 and Happy Holidays/New Year,

Bunky, K4EJQ ( Sitting on a operational 630 meter station for over a year now .)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2013, 12:16:55 AM »

My guess is that it's a case of waiting for the FCC to get around to it.
GW3OQK

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2013, 01:40:00 AM »

Hello Bunky
Have you tried John KB5NJD/WG2XIQ? He put a message on rsgb lf forum saying his WSPR on 475 from Texas has been received in UK. Perhaps special permits are available.
Andrew
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »

This was posted on the Yahoo 600 meter group today:

"January 1, 2014

Gentlemen:

The FCC has told the ARRL that it will put the
petition out for public comment, but has given us no
idea when this will be.  My own guess is that they will
wait until after a decision has been made on the NPRM
for 137 kHz.  As you know, comments and rebuttals were
due on it back in March and they have yet to make a
decision on it.

73, Fritz, W1FR,
Coordinator, ARRL 500-kHz Experiment"

K4EJQ

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: January 02, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »

Hello All. Yes, I saw this come through the other day. Later a fellow  on that Group posted an interesting comment regarding making our feelings known to our various representatives at the ARRL, i.e. President, Director, FCC liaison, etc.. The theory being that the FCC tends to "look favorably" upon requests from the ARRL regarding such matters. I think this holds some merit.

On the other hand, I've got this "gut feeling" that someone in this game is "sandbagging" for whatever reason.  Having watched previous FCC actions with regard to frequency allocations ( WARC or otherwise)  over the years with what now looked like a "seamless" process with ample updates from all  parties involved. About
November of 2012 a virtual "lid" was placed on  the 630 meter matter.

I hope I'm wrong  and this "gut feeling" is nothing more than left overs from that New Year Eve party I attended. Hi.

A Happy New Year to All.

73, Bunky, K4EJQ
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: