Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which HF Rig?  (Read 1696 times)
KI4SJU

Ignore
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:15:21 PM »

Hi everyone, I was wanting input on which radio that you all would rather have. I had a Yaesu FT-450D and it would not tune my G5RV. So I am looking to buy a new radio, I have narrowed it down to 3.
The Kenwood 480Sat, Yaesu-897D or a Yaesu FT-920? I would love to have 2 meters in the radio but I can live with out it. I want to work DX and want a great receiver. I would love a built in tuner but with the 897 I would need a external tuner. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks and 73's
KI4SJU
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:55:37 PM »

I had a Yaesu FT-450D and it would not tune my G5RV. So I am looking to buy a new radio,

Not work on ANY band?  Most hams in that situation would replace the antenna, not the radio.

Instead of the G5RV, toss up a simple 40 meter dipole which will get you on 40 and probably 15. Both bands have plenty of DX which your previous posts indicate you like to work.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:57:47 PM by K0OD » Logged
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »

a couple of points here.  LDG and others make some great tuners , shack mounted or antenna mounted for a couple hundred bucks new that will solve the tune  problem. point  #2 is a g5rv is designed as a pretty good 20 meter antenna that will also tune in some portions of other bands. There has been lots said about this else where.  If you are going to buy a radio  to fix a tune problem, it would be better to replace the antenna with one that is more set up for  multiband use, like a home brew fan dipole, or a MA5B or even a hustler 5btv vert.   just a few ideas to get you thinking  out of the box.  
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 07:57:04 PM »

Hi everyone, I was wanting input on which radio that you all would rather have. I had a Yaesu FT-450D and it would not tune my G5RV. So I am looking to buy a new radio, I have narrowed it down to 3.
The Kenwood 480Sat, Yaesu-897D or a Yaesu FT-920? I would love to have 2 meters in the radio but I can live with out it. I want to work DX and want a great receiver. I would love a built in tuner but with the 897 I would need a external tuner. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks and 73's
KI4SJU

An Icom IC-746PRO would give you HF, 6 and 2 meters.

Replacing the G5RV's coax and balun arrangement and turning it into a doublet would be what I'd do...feed it with 450 or 300 ohm line to a 1:1 current balun. Connect a short piece of coax to the tuner, and you're in business.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »

It is a dated rig now and no longer made and has a bad track record about some things too.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »

It is a dated rig now and no longer made and has a bad track record about some things too.

Well, basically all of what he listed was behind the curve as far as current DSP tech goes, so I wasn't under the impression he was looking for state of the art Smiley

W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 08:46:21 PM »

The modern rig with the internal tuner can handle about a 3:1 SWR. You will encounter an SWR much higher than that on the G5RV depending on which band you are trying to work.
I would check the antenna to make sure it is deployed properly, or get an external tuner if you are going to use the G5RV for 80 through 10.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:48:21 PM by W0DV » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: