Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with WAS award  (Read 3662 times)
K3BAK

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »

I'm looking for some WAS advice. The only states I still need are AK, DE, IN, MI, NJ, NC, OH, VA, WV. With the exception of AK and NC all the other states are very close by and I have yet to hear anyone from these states. My concern is with my setup and close proximity to them I may not be able to makes any qsos. When I run psk31 I have observed one side of qsos where the station I can see is talking to a state I need but I can not copy the needed state. Any advice of how to rectify this? I was able to get Maryland on 30m rtty, and PA on 20m but other than those none of the other close by states. Any input would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:26:43 PM by K3BAK » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »

Brian,

You are likely to need to get all those (except Alaska) on 40 or 80M. Hell, I will help you get NJ.

To give you an idea, I am on the NJ-Delaware-PA border. I had to get those 3 on local 10M, because I was within 10 miles of all 3 states.

Alaska would be good during a DX contest. The other states you can get durint a state QSO party. Here is the calender: http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/contestcal.html

K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:28:47 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I may have to try 40 meters qrp when my 817 gets here. I have an attic mounted g5rv jr and when I tune it or transmit it makes the smoke detector and or co detector very unhappy. Plus being in a townhouse I don't want to set the neighbors off either late at night  Grin
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:30:19 PM by K3BAK » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »

One problem with that is that a G5RV uses ladder line which should be used outside the house. You have RF in the walls and in the condo.  If you need to keep it in the attic, you need to feed it with coax and a nice choke/current balun.

I just built a trap dipole that is coax fed with a balun. That would limit the RF within the house.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:34:28 PM by N4NYY » Logged
K3BAK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:36:27 PM »

I have 25 feet of coax from the tuner into the attic then connected to the ladder line on the w8amz g5rv. Do you think adding a balun would help? It's kind of a tight setup as you can imagine. I wasn't able to stretch the ladder line completely vertical either, but didn't want to cut the excess off, as I was worried it would effect performance.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:39:20 PM »

I meant a balun with a coax fed antenna. I do not think you can use it there with a G5RV.

If you want, turn your power down to 5W and I can try you tonight on 40M. Pick a freq and post it here. If not, I can help tomorrow.
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »

I'm in Maryland and I've only worked PA/WV/DE/NJ on 40m (during the day) or 80m, not on any higher bands.
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I may have to try 40 meters qrp when my 817 gets here. I have an attic mounted g5rv jr and when I tune it or transmit it makes the smoke detector and or co detector very unhappy. Plus being in a townhouse I don't want to set the neighbors off either late at night  Grin

FWIW --

As another townhouse-limited ham with an attic antenna (Alpha Delta DC-CC, with balun), my hunches and suggestions:

1.  A balun won't help much.  The problem you're having isn't "common-mode radiation" from the feedline; it's that the alarms are in the "near field" of the antenna!   [I would be happy to be proved wrong in this prediction.]

2.  You may be able to improve the alarm situation by putting ferrites on every wire you can find going into the alarms.

3.  If you're running PSK31, the FT-817 (or your current rig, with the power dialed down to 5 - 10 watts) should let you work the nearby states on 40m with NVIS propagation.  This is easiest if you can set up a sched with another ham.

4.  Or, you could take the FT-817 into a local park, put up a dipole (doesn't have to be high), and use a notebook or netbook computer for PSK31 work.   5 watts, into a dipole, will be more than enough.  I've used a 31' windsock pole from JacKite -- it's very effective.

Attic antennas are a compromise, but better than no antenna at all.

Charles
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 04:29:02 AM »

I'm looking for some WAS advice. The only states I still need are AK, DE, IN, MI, NJ, NC, OH, VA, WV. With the exception of AK and NC all the other states are very close by and I have yet to hear anyone from these states. My concern is with my setup and close proximity to them I may not be able to makes any qsos. When I run psk31 I have observed one side of qsos where the station I can see is talking to a state I need but I can not copy the needed state. Any advice of how to rectify this? I was able to get Maryland on 30m rtty, and PA on 20m but other than those none of the other close by states. Any input would be appreciated.

20M will be long most of the time. Not impossible to get the close in states but hard.

40M will be long most nights, but during the day it's usually "short" and good for working the close in states. Sometimes it's short at night too.

80M at night is usually both long and short. Even if you don't have a top-notch antenna, any piece of wire you can load up will let you pick up the nearby states.

The NAQP events (twice a year) and ARRL Sweepstakes are excellent opportunities to pick up states. In those events, participation in LOTW is high. The ARRL RTTY Roundup, and NAQP RTTY, have 80-90% LOTW participation. Other ongoing events that are good way to pick up states include the NAQCC events and state QSO parties and field day, although LOTW participation isn't as high in those.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:55:14 AM »

1.  A balun won't help much.  The problem you're having isn't "common-mode radiation" from the feedline; it's that the alarms are in the "near field" of the antenna!   [I would be happy to be proved wrong in this prediction.]

That is very true. But you cannot tell me that it would not improve if he eliminated the ladder line and went with coax. He has to have 18 ft of ladder line within the house. That is not going to help.

The biggest advantage of the Unadilla trap antenna is that it will not be longer (may be short than the current G5RV jr), and coax fed. The biggest problem with a Unadilla trap antenna is that he is looking at about $50 per band for the traps. For a 10-12-15-17-20-40, he is looking at aprox $250 (you do not need 40M traps) just for traps. Balun is about $60 from Balun Designs.

FWIW, When I hung my trap dipole last month, I was able to hit 40M short very loud an vice versa. I hit CT loud, and western PA pretty well. But I think that was right around dinner time like 6pm or such.

AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:01:44 AM »

I'm looking for some WAS advice.

Set up a sked with W4NYY and you'll have WAS on the first QSO............. Worked All Sallustio.

Roll Eyes

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:18:42 AM »

Set up a sked with W4NYY and you'll have WAS on the first QSO............. Worked All Sallustio.

When the hell are you and I going to set up a QSO?
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »

Brian,
You ever work ECARS?  http://www.ecars7255.com/ when I lived in Virginia I had a rig in the car and every morning would chat with my buddy down the street from my DE qth. really all up and down the East Coast. You can work quite a few people by working a net, move off frequency and chat. Better than 5-9 over contact. I had a lot of fun chatting. Me I'm in Newark, DE

73 es GL on you WAS,

Tom Kb3hg
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 10:11:09 AM »

When the hell are you and I going to set up a QSO?

When I finally get off my dead ass and put up a wire for HF....... Was doing just fine until a neighbor's tree split at the trunk (Bradford pears will do that when they get old enough) and took out the Wonder Wire... AKA a 136' OFC 'Windom' that could work the world both weekly and weakly.

Sure, that was over a decade ago, but I had to do laundry and like that so don't nag. Besides, I'm trying to remember if my radio is low-class enough to work New Jersey........................

Never change a password on a Friday                
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »

Sure, that was over a decade ago, but I had to do laundry and like that so don't nag. Besides, I'm trying to remember if my radio is low-class enough to work New Jersey........................

Talk is cheap. Put up the wire so I can QSO you. Remember, you are a ham.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 05:52:39 PM by N4NYY » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: