Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to fast CW  (Read 1027 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 01:28:54 PM »

>RE: Listening to fast CW  Reply  
by AE6RF on April 24, 2006  Mail this to a friend!  
> 8. So I bought a used rig, put up my favorite antenna,
> a center fed zepp with homebrew open wire feeders and
> connected it to my old Johnson Matchbox. The world told
> me I was a lid of the highest order!

I guess I'm a bit clueless. Why did they call you a lid when you actually got back on the air?

73 de Donald<

::I got his point.  The point was, all that "listening" and "copying" didn't improve his ability to actually use CW (code) in any way.  So, he started transmitting, and despite hundreds of hours spent copying code, he was a lid.  No big deal, so is everybody when they first start out actually *using* the code, to make contacts.  Evidently, after a couple of thousand contacts, he no longer is, and now nobody calls him that anymore.  There is no question that *using* the code to make contacts is what helps people improve in every aspect of code operating, and much more so than listening to it.

WB2WIK/6  
KD8BVJ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 09:08:03 AM »

What is a lid? I figure I am one since I am just starting out in CW so I thought I would ask.
N8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 09:28:24 AM »

A lid is a poor operator.  And since you're just starting out, you don't qualify in that regard.

I think I used a combination of techniques over the years to learn the code. I started in my youth (maybe 10, or so) trying to memorize code tables.  I got frustrated by math, so I gave up the idea of getting a ham licnese.  Yet, when the Star Trek episode Space Seed first aired, I was able to recognize CQ as soon as it crackled through the speaker--just on that memorization.  It would be years before I learned the rest of the code and the math to get my Novice license.

When starting out, whatever technique you use, don't think a letter then look it up. Learning aural skills like languages progresses best by a format of NEW term followed by OLD term, i.e. foreign followed by native equivalent. That's why Shep's tape was formatted the way it was:  ". E . E. When you hear . write E."  That's also why most code courses avoid teaching letters in alphabetical order. And I think that's where many students fail today.  They try to learn A, B, C, D and it needs to be learned J, Q, E, M, without a preconceived pattern.

To build on that beginning, though usually takes immersion in the environment where the language is used. Speed of speech and comprehension build best as a result of conversation, not simply recitation (keying) and listening.  Are there any code courses that provide simulated QSOs for practice purposes?  I have a keyer that provides that capability.  It seems logical to me it should be possible with full blown software.

For whatever value it adds to the discussion.    
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: