Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Question About Copying Code  (Read 3371 times)
N5WRX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 05:35:07 AM »

Learning the code at 15 wpm charactor speed is a good idea. Even better is 20 wpm charactor speed.

I sudgest you slow down the effective speed until you have learned the code then gradualy increase the speed of your pratice sessions.

Dont over look on the air contacts as that will increase your speed while you have some fun.
Take it slow ... dont push ... have fun ... speed will come with use and before you know it you will be reconizing all the common stuff and only writing down specific information.
Example:  when you hear CQ being sent do you think about each letter and write it down or do you reconise it as a unique sound and understand what it means without the need to write it down.
N3PAQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 11:10:21 AM »

I learned it at 10wpm (15wpm character speed).  It seemed to take me a while to get started, the first 12 letters or so took me three weeks, but after that, things really sped up.  I made one final practice CD at 5wpm, played it in the car on my way to the test.  When I played that, I knew the 5wpm test would be the easiest thing I ever did.  And it was.  I wrote down the code for the test, and the VE just looked at my copy and said, you passed.  Then he actually graded it for their paperwork.

I wish I used the code more often, because i haven't really increased my copy speed from 10wpm.  

Joe
N3PAQ
NE4TT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2006, 04:31:15 PM »

The W1AW code practice is online and will augment your CW skills.

They also have the text to check your copy.  

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw/morse.html

Jamie NE4TT
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 12:28:41 AM »

UZE it's that "brain reflex" I'm trying to train when I'm copying code, I'm always extremely busy but I try to get in a bit almost every day, mostly W1AW. I found today, I was as usual stressin' it because the ppl I was copying were a bit too fast for me, but I noticed at times I was just copying down characters without thinking about it.

I figure it's like getting good at push-ups, it just takes some work.
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 06:44:02 AM »

Should've tried copying CW on Treasure Hunt at the begining of the episode.
K9FV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2006, 09:52:06 AM »

Back to your original question of how to write faster than 15wpm....  Use the G4FON program and set the speed to 20/17 wpm as you with only 2 characters.  Heck, just read the instructions with the program.  This will teach you to write faster than 15 wpm.  When I first passed my 13wpm general test, I could not really copy that fast, just a lucky day.  I could just barely write 13wpm!  Now I can sorta write 17wpm (working on 20 wpm) by the teaching/learning of the G4FON program.

I will move from 20/17 wpm to 20/15 wpm, and when first learning, even down to 20/12 wpm to learn the characters.  BUT DO NOT add the next character until you can copy the 20/17 wpm session (at least 1 minute, better 2 minute) at better than 90%.  I was able to copy 95% with 20/17 wpm until I got to 26 characters, then I just was progressing too slow.  I finished the 41 characters at 20/15 wpm.  Now after using it on the air some, I am going thru the sessions again and hoping to finish with 20/17 wpm.  Heck, I can do some 2 minute runs with a full 20/20 wpm runs now (only 10 characters).

Realize, different folks learn differently.  IF you happen to be musically inclined, you will learn languages AND code MUCH easier than us mere mortals....  BUT code can still be learned - just takes longer and more work.

Keep up the good work and hang in there!

73 de Ken H.
K9FV
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: