Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K0TF copies call sign at 503 wpm !  (Read 5160 times)
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »

The RufzXP Top list available at: http://www.rufzxp.net/ comes out every Monday.  Monday's edition reported that Oleg K0TF, managed to copy a callsign with speed 803 wpm!

He proofs the BS he suggested. Congrats to Oleg the real topper in the USA.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:24:45 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »

Copying a callsign at 503WPM proves..... what?
PA0BLAH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 08:48:25 AM »

Copying a callsign at 503WPM proves..... what?

O, sri proves instead of proofs. Mathematical mind. Looks for laws in languages. Stupid. I agree.
Even more stupid: I wrote 503  wpm, has to be 803 wpm.

I referred to http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,80814.0.html

73 Bob
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:27:38 AM by PA0BLAH » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »

Congratulations to Oleg for his remarkable CW ability!
Chuck  NI0C
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 02:16:48 PM »

That's awesome!
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 05:28:14 PM »

What does this sound like?
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:58:50 PM »

You can find out for yourself by downloading and installing the free program at: http://www.rufzxp.net/

Or, even easier, listen to the sound samples available at the same site. 

Chuck  NI0C
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »

Sounds like a burst of RTTY to me  Shocked

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:28 AM »

To me this is just an illustration of how silly so-called highspeed telegraphy has become.

It's like they're doing 1/800 Farnsworth timing, but only for one minute.

What differece does it make if somebody is able to memorize and/or recognize a single callsign made kinda audible for less than a tenth of a second ?  Anybody who can do 5 WPM can copy several callsigns per minute.  These guys don't.

They ought to move back to what they can copy and record over a sensible time period using standard timing with no extra word gaps, if the term highspeed telegraphy is supposed to mean something.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 05:45:22 AM »

LB3KB:

I think most people understand that the Rufz competitions aren't the same as Ted McElroy copying high speed press bulletins on his mill.   Still, it is remarkable that (two) people have developed the skills to actually decode callsigns at eight hundred words per minute.  It shows what the human mind is capable of.

Let's give them the applause they deserve, instead of suggesting how they should practice and compete!

Chuck  NI0C

PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 05:56:35 AM »

To me this is just an illustration of how silly so-called highspeed telegraphy has become.

It's like they're doing 1/800 Farnsworth timing, but only for one minute.

What differece does it make if somebody is able to memorize and/or recognize a single callsign made kinda audible for less than a tenth of a second ?  Anybody who can do 5 WPM can copy several callsigns per minute.  These guys don't.

They ought to move back to what they can copy and record over a sensible time period using standard timing with no extra word gaps, if the term highspeed telegraphy is supposed to mean something.

It is just sport. Senseless just created to outperform your opponents. Just like chess.
There is virtually always a group of participants that try to reach their goal to outperform the others by illegal ways.
Winning is for them more important that a honest competition.

I am (hence) not a sportsman. All those guys going to sport schools and the like, die early or have artificial knees and hips at my age. I remember from school the guys good in sport were just dumb in mathematics and physics. They haven't earned their lifetime income in sport and the couldn't in mathematics and physics.

Morse code is to communicate with other people, not the guys just buying a trx and calling pappa alfa zero...in a mike,  but people that take the challenge to learn the code and honour the history of telecommunication and keep it as such alive.

So I am exercising daily for five years already with your program JustLeanMorseCode not copying call signs, but copy by head plain language. I hate contests, they litter the bands and when you give a real report not equal to 5nn you are qualified as a LID. I am in the toplist of rufzxp but quit this, it has no sense to proceed. So for me NO Morserunner and NO rufzxp anymore.

Amateur radio is degraded to operation of appliances. Technical knowledge is approaching zero, and home builders are very proud when they are getting a kit running.
Building a kit has nothing to do with designing and home brewing, just as buying a deep frozen meal in the local super market and warming it up in the magnetron has nothing to do with cooking. People install kitchens in their house for unbelievable prices, just to heat the deep frozen meal.

73 es tks fr ur pgm
PA0WV http://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/zelfbouw.html

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:52:27 AM by PA0WV » Logged

Using an appliance without CW is just CB
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »

0WV:  You make some valid points here but I feel that some of your opinions are not very well thought out.

Morse code is to communicate with other people,

While this is true, CW is also a "sport", especially in Europe.  However, in my opinion, being able to copy a callsign at over 800WPM is worthless..... perhaps even questionable.  I feel that a CW contest should be text copy during a timed period and transcribed by pencil, mill or even verbally.  But, then again, this is my opinion and like you can be considered narrow minded.

I hate contests, they litter the bands and when you give a real report not equal to 5nn you are qualified as a LID

I too dislike contests.  However, I understand and believe that contests serve many useful purposes.  To start with, it brings out a great deal of activity, provides some with wanted new country contacts, satisfies the competitive spirit that most humans have.... and the list goes on.  To qualify someone as a LID for simply exchanging a canned signal report is narrow minded.  Actually, for the most part, contesters are excellent operators!  One of the great things about ham radio is the many entertaining facets it offers.  Contesting being one of them.

Building a kit has nothing to do with designing and home brewing, just as buying a deep frozen meal in the local super market and warming it up in the magnetron has nothing to do with cooking

You and I go in totally different directions on this point.  While kit building isn't "homebrewing" in it's purest form, it does provide a great deal of personal satisfaction.  I'd venture to say that most hams during the past 50 years got started in homebrewing by building kits.  The loss of Heath, Allied and several other kit manufacturers has been one of the reasons that we have become "operators of appliances."

W4HLN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »

Congrats Oleg but you wont need that ability of your on CW with me LOL!

I get nervous if I get over 30 wpm! LOL!

73 and CONGRATS!

Ernie / W4HLN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: