Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1983 CUCV or Chevy Blazer antenna location  (Read 3056 times)
KI4YWW

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »

The CUCV restoration is nearly complete and the body is bonded as per K0BG's instructions with an emphasis on overkill. Alan has forgotten more about mobile HF than I can ever learn and what a great website/resource. Now where to mount the Scorpion antenna? I'll have to use a Breedlove QD mount because the Scorpion is coming down when offroading and I'm tempted to use a pocket mount ( I'll have to build a pocket) and slip it under the cap/cover. Right front of the vehicle either behind or on the heavy brush guard bumper is OK also and could be protected fairly well there. Holes don't matter and neither do aesthetics  , it is a 40 year old ex-military go anywhere vehicle for heavens sake, just efficiency and durability. Of course aesthetics wouldn't matter to me if it was a brand new Cadillac. VHF/UHF is already mounted on a NMO centered over the cab of the vehicle. Anyone have any intelligent or experienced input? Even what didn't work for you would be helpful. Thanks. Jeff KI4YWW
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 01:18:46 PM »

Read this thread for thoughts on the grill guard mounting:
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,81862.0.html
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:29:12 AM »

Front mounting works great.  Just like the linked thread said, it keeps it out of the way of mud/ice/rocks and it helps you navigate it through narrow areas.

As for mounting, I would avoid the Breedlove.  I absolutely love Jerry's work and have spoken with him often.  His stuff is strong (Ive seen where the guy stands on the mount), but I think it is not strong enough to hold up a LARGE vertical like the Scorpion. 

To grill mount mine, I welded a custom bracket out of HEAVY steel.  Some as thick as 1/2 inch.  I don't like aluminum so I build from mild steel.  Large pieces, gussets on the bends, all make it stronger.  Once it is built, take it to a powder coater and have it covered.  Mount with grade 8 bolts and Ny-Lock nuts.

Take all of your shunt coils/coax/control cables and terminate them in an enclosure that is protected from impacts.  Run everything in metallic loom, all the way into the engine compartment.

Takes an afternoon of work, but you can get a great looking mount that you could tow the vehicle with.

Brad
KI4YWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 11:13:41 AM »

Thanks for the input guys it has been helpful. Brad you wouldn't happen to have a couple of pics of your mount would you? How did you solve the QD problem? Jeff
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 01:25:59 PM »

I'll have to get some pics soon.  But what is the "QD problem"?

DOH' I re-read what you were asking.  I use a Hi-Q antenna and they make a 1/4 turn QD simialr to a BNC connector.  Most of them are aluminum but they make a stainless version that is tough as nails.  Simple 1/4 turn removes the antenna and I have a small DC connector for the control wire.  I can take it off or put it on in a second or less.

Brad
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 01:28:04 PM by KC7YRA » Logged
KI4YWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 02:53:07 PM »

Thanks Brad, I looked at Hi-Qs but then looked at my checkbook and ruled them out. I don't think of the Scorpions as "sacrificial" but I'd rather sacrifice one rather than a Hi-Q. On the other hand it's hard to beat Mil-spec tough and I just might delay my purchase and go for the Hi-Q. . Everybody does it but the antenna is the very last place to save a few bucks. I really would love to see some pics of your mount and entire installation. This not a "just slap it in the family sedan" kind of project and I hate to do things twice because I didn't plan well enough the first time. Thanks again. Jeff
KI4YWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »

After looking at Hi-Qs website I discovered that they have several very competitively priced antennas and not all of their products cost $1600.00 plus. I did not mean to cast the company in a bad light or misrepresent their stuff in any way I just didn't do my research very well. If their antennas can withstand Marine Corp abuse then my little ole offroading experiences shouldn't faze them at all. Jeff
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 05:46:21 PM »

They seem to be comparable in price to the Scorpions.  Give ol' K0BG's website a read and his take on mobile HF antennas.  Heck, he may pop in and give his thoughts.

I would not rule out the Scorpion at all.  It seems like a very good antenna and I believe that they have a quick disconnect of their own.  

I will try to take some pics tomorrow at work.  I dunno if that will happen due to schedule, but I will try.  It is nothing too fancy.  I have a welder and am handy burning wire like that.  Couple pieces of angle iron from the front tow hook mounts, out the front of the grill and supported on the top with a non-conductive brace.

I DO have pics of my custom Tundra mount that holds my screwdriver.  I built an extremely strong stake pocket mount.  I mounted an outboard shunt coil that is in a waterproof enclosure glued inside the fender.  I also surface mounted a recepticle inside the truckbed so I could quickly attach the motor control cable.  The mount is Hi-Qs 1/4 turn mount.  Mine has seen thousands and thousands of miles of abuse so it looks a little beat.  But it sitll works great.

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/Wyomingmedic/AntennaGQD.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/Wyomingmedic/Antennareceptical.jpg

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc342/Wyomingmedic/Loadingcoil.jpg

I will try to post the front grill photos.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:48:07 PM by KC7YRA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: