Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compact "purse size" 2M HT?  (Read 10418 times)
WB5JNC

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »

Greetings all,

My XYL has commented that she'd like to have a "purse size" 2M HT to keep with her so she can get on the WX net from work, and as I'm primarily an HF type I thought I'd throw it out to the group here for suggestions. Here's what I'd ideally like to find:

Power output of perhaps 1-2 watts (as opposed to the 300 or so milliwatt output of the DJ-S11 and Q7 for example)
External antenna connection
Rugged/reliable
Easy to operate
Probably an alkaline cell battery pack would be better than a rechargeable due to infrequent use
It doesn't need to be a dual/multi bander, just 2M only.
I tend to lean toward "Ickesu" (i.e. big 3, preference in that order) brand-wise. I'd be willing to consider a commercial equivalent if reasonably priced (as in Yaesu/Vertex) as a "channelized" rig programmed with a few selected local repeaters would easily do what she wants.

We have an Icom V8 which we bought for her several years ago but she'd like to have something smaller if we can find it.

Is there anything like I'm describing out there, or at least close? I'm willing to consider either new or good used as long as it's reliable and parts are still easily available if needed.

TNX/73, Al
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »

For less than 50 bucks, Give the new Baofeng a try!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BAOFENG-New-mode-UV-3R-Mark-II-136-174-400-470Mhz-Dual-Frequency-Display-/220870177237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336ce371d5

Advantages include being easy to program by hand, And it uses the very low cost and readily available NP60 camera battery!

Next up the price scale is the Wouxon, About a hundred bucks, And they do work well, And have very low cost accessories, BUT you about need the computer interface to program them!  

The Yaesu VX 3 is a great little radio, Also uses the NP60 battery. (You will notice the more than a little way it looks just like the Baofeng that was copied from it!)
(A  AA type battery pack case is available for the Baofeng and the Yaesu VX3 if wanted, But the supplied Lithium Ion battery has a long shelf life)

The Yaesu FT60 is also a good proven radio, But is much larger and heavier, And requires a special battery.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 08:45:32 PM by K9KJM » Logged
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:36:42 PM »

The VX-3R is what came to mind. With a stubby antenna, it'd fit anywhere.
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:35:55 AM »

>> ... The Yaesu FT60 is also a good proven radio, But is much larger and heavier, And requires a special battery ...

Well, all of the HTs you recommended require "special" batteries, really. Nothing bizarre about the FT-60R's pack - it is used by several Yaesu/Vertex HTs. And there is the FBA-25 AA case, too, to allow the use of either alkalines or NiMH cells.

Small ... proven reliability ... proven winner - that all equals the Yaesu VX-3R. And get her a Comer SMA-24 (or Pryme RD-98SMA) antenna, coil it up and place in a ZipLoc baggie for her to carry in her purse, too, for improved performance.

Clint Bradford K6LCS
909-241-7666

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.k6lcs.com
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:54 PM »

My wife and I scored a nice VX-3R for 100 bucks at a hamfest for her. At the time she worked very close to a repeater by us. It's small enough it fits in her purse. Power output is pretty low but with a nice close repeater it works well.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 03:25:53 PM »

Sorry, but I just have to point something out--wait a minute now.  "Purse sized" means one size to some--and another size to others altogether.  I'm not saying that this is the case, but some ladies carry purses that they could comfortably put a small mobile rig in, battery and all!   Grin
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 03:27:30 PM by K1CJS » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »

I carry a VX2R in my Maxpedition rucksack (my buddies call it my 'man purse' but it sure beats having every one of my pockets stuffed full every day) along with all my other techno-geek paraphernalia, wallet, notepad, cellphone, meds, and glucometer. It charge it about once a month or so and I find even then it is hardly even below the 4.1Vdc full charge level on the radio readout. I have enough room to carry the VX2R, wall wart chgr, a small lapel-type microphone and a dual band 'spaghetti' type flexible whip antenna. It's a great "LITTLE" radio. My only problem is remembering the menu structure so I carry a fold up business card size cheat sheet with me.

Gene W5DQ

« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 11:35:51 PM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »

It, in part, will depend on the size of the purse.  I've seen some women with massive shoulder bags that they call their "purse".  Something like that could easily hold a Motorola Saber! Smiley

Seriously, the suggestions given here are good ones.  Make sure the radio you ultimately end up can accept an alkaline case as an alternative when the stock rechargeable pack dies.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 07:04:20 PM »

My little Yaesu VX-3 fits into a shirt pocket. It is easy to operate and has been 100% dependable.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:52:51 AM »

Here is another option -
If the repeaters she needs to use are on echolink, why not a smartphone with the echolink software? Versions for iPhone and Android are available. Since she is probably already carrying a phone it is one less thing to carry and she will be used to charging it so the dead battery problem won't be an issue.

AK4E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 02:24:36 PM »

Greetings all,

My XYL has commented that she'd like to have a "purse size" 2M HT to keep with her so she can get on the WX net from work, and as I'm primarily an HF type I thought I'd throw it out to the group here for suggestions. Here's what I'd ideally like to find:

Power output of perhaps 1-2 watts (as opposed to the 300 or so milliwatt output of the DJ-S11 and Q7 for example)
External antenna connection
Rugged/reliable
Easy to operate
Probably an alkaline cell battery pack would be better than a rechargeable due to infrequent use
It doesn't need to be a dual/multi bander, just 2M only.
I tend to lean toward "Ickesu" (i.e. big 3, preference in that order) brand-wise. I'd be willing to consider a commercial equivalent if reasonably priced (as in Yaesu/Vertex) as a "channelized" rig programmed with a few selected local repeaters would easily do what she wants.

We have an Icom V8 which we bought for her several years ago but she'd like to have something smaller if we can find it.

Is there anything like I'm describing out there, or at least close? I'm willing to consider either new or good used as long as it's reliable and parts are still easily available if needed.

TNX/73, Al
WB5JNC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »

TNX for the suggestions guys. We have a local hamfest coming up this weekend so she'll hopefully have a chance to see what's actually out there. (BTW another rig that I've seen mentioned as a possibility for a situation like this is the Icom P7; but what really mystifies me is that Kenwood apparently hasn't felt the "compact" HT market was worth pursuing. If they have a product of this type I'd be interested in knowing about it because if they make/recently made anything along the lines of the Icom P7/Yaesu VX-1/2/3 I haven't run across it.

Also, per the Echolink suggestion - my XYL's phone is an older basic flip style so it isn't "smart" enough for Echolink.

73, Al
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:53 AM »

The TH-F6A is a fairly small handheld roughly the same size as the VX-3.  The Kenwood has a lot more features than the Yaesu but is almost twice the price!
K7SON

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »

I have a VX-2 I picked up used and it is a great small HT. I also have the TH-f6, a little bigger, lots of features.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 06:17:33 AM »

I keep a VX8-DR in my purse. With the antenna removed it is very compact.

Guys may not realize this but some of us change our purses with some regularity for lots of reasons. Sometimes it is best to just dump out the contents and go through everything to get rid of those old restaurant receipts, gum wrappers or notes to self.

Yes, one of my purses is gigantic and is practically an overnight bag. I could store a FT-817 in there (have not tried that yet). The HF dipole might be more of a challenge.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: