Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW filter for Kenwood 440  (Read 1055 times)
AD5WN

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2006, 12:40:39 PM »

I am back on the air with my Kenwood 440-AT after a long absince.  I am working some CW and understand there might be a CW filter for my 440 that would enhance my CW experience.  If so, is it easy to install and who sells them?  Or is my 440 fine just the way it is?  73s!
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 02:00:36 PM »

Check out http://www.qth.com/inrad/.  And they have a 10% Dayton discount right now (even if you are not in Dayton).  I've used INRAD filters for years in most of my radios, including a TS-440 several years ago.

Phil - AD5X
www.ad5x.com
ad5x@arrl.net
K0ZL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 06:18:16 AM »

HIGHLY recommend either the Inrad 250 or the Kenwood 270 Hz filter (YK88CN).

The 500 hz filters are common on the used market, but you will find that they are a tad too wide for contesting situations (whether you contest or not, you still need the selectivity, either to enjoy the contest or to avoid the participants, hi!).

After installing the filter, be sure to tweak the IF cans on either side of the filter for the best "sound". You may notice that at certain settings, a weak carrier will sound a little "hollow" or ring-y.  As you rock the IF cans on either side of the filter, you may notice a significant improvement in the sound. That's where you want to leave them.

If you don't notice any improvement in sound, just leave the cans at max gain.

bill K0ZL
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 08:37:20 AM »

Find a good, used Kenwood YK-88CN 270Hz filter.  They turn up on eBay regularly for $65-$70, sometimes a little less.  

While I think Inrad makes excellent products in general I do NOT like their filters that replace the YK-88CN or YK-88C (500Hz filter).  They are not drop-in replacements and are substantually larger than the original.  You have to wire them in and the result, particularly if you have all three optional filters installed, is a kluge.  You are much better off with original Trio or Kenwood filters in a TS-440SAT.

Caity
K7VO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: