Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sloppy Morse - What could go wrong!  (Read 1783 times)
DATAGENETICS

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »

I was thinking the otherday about what would happen if you reduced the standard inter-letter gap when sending a Morse encoded word.  As the dots-and-dashes merged into one blob, the resultant stream could be interpretted ambiguously.

For instance, the word "WRAP", represented in merged Morse (as we all know) is ".--.-..-.--."

This stream could also be interpretted as the word "EQUATE", or the word "ACETATE", or the word "ANTING"

I wrote some code to process the entire English language dictionary to find all sequences of Morse that form more than one legitimate English word.

The results are very interesting.  I showed a few colleagues and they said I should write a blog posting and share it wider, so here it is, enjoy!

http://www.datagenetics.com/blog/march42012/index.html
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »

Still can't get a job, eh?
DATAGENETICS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »

Smiley
AB9NZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »

Wow, what a great bunch of articles on your webpage, right to my favorites . Thanks much for sharing. de Tom, AB9NZ
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 11:32:27 PM »

So, you ran all the code elements together so they wouldn't make any sense and then try to make sense out of it.

Ya gotta quit smoking that stuff! Grin
LB3KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »

So, you ran all the code elements together so they wouldn't make any sense and then try to make sense out of it.

That seems normal to me, although it usually takes two guys and neither one of them can make any sense out of anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: