Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Call Signs in a Different Call Area than Your Own  (Read 3440 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »

I never had a reason to look into it, but I just discovered that through the vanity call sign program, one can obtain a call sign outside of one's own call area. I found this out by accident when checking a DX spot, and although the station had an "N2" call, he was in CA...annoying unto itself, but upon further investigation, this fellow NEVER had anything to do with "2 land." He just liked the sound of the call on CW better than any available "6" call.

I give up. Call signs don't mean a heck of a lot any longer!
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »

Things change, get used to it.
WA7KPK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »

Take a look at vanityhq.com. The guy who runs it keeps tabs on vanity numbers. According to him about 88% of all hams live in the call area that their calls are assigned to.

So you have a better than 4 in 5 chance of that N0 ham you hear callilng CQ actually being in the tenth call district.

As for the rest, well, in the old days everyone had a two letter call sign, etc. Things do change. With various call sign lookup servers on the Internet you can easily determine where that station calling CQ is located.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

I never had a reason to look into it, but I just discovered that through the vanity call sign program, one can obtain a call sign outside of one's own call area. I found this out by accident when checking a DX spot, and although the station had an "N2" call, he was in CA...annoying unto itself, but upon further investigation, this fellow NEVER had anything to do with "2 land." He just liked the sound of the call on CW better than any available "6" call.

I give up. Call signs don't mean a heck of a lot any longer!

Jeez, where ya been over the last 10 (or more) years. Not sure exactly when it became legit, but it's been this way for a LONG, LONG time. That's why there is QRZ.COM lookup. My logging program looks up the address on record and viola! I know where the guy/gal most likely is at.

Also just to clarify the regs, those of us who hold out-of-area callsigns are NOT required to sign "PORTABLE" (SSB/FM) or "/" (CW) as many folks would like us to do. Since my address of record is CA and W5DQ is assigned to me at that address, I am not portable, mobile or anything else other than at my home QTH therefore I sign "W5DQ" only.

Gene W5DQ  - in California and not "/6" except in contests that require it Smiley
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:23:50 PM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »

I have lived in district 5 my whole life, although I now have a 3 call.   At first I was reluctant for the reasons the OP cited.   However, no one has ever objected OTA and I've decided that I don't care anyway. 
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 05:42:07 AM »

I assumed that if someone was located outside their call district, the reason was that they moved and kept their old call. As I mentioned, I never had a reason to look up the vanity rules. I can understand the reasons wanting to keep your old call sign; I am just a bit surprised I guess that a vanity regulation was passed which would allow one to intentionally obtain a call in a "foreign" district, when calls are available in one's home district.
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »

We also no longer have to sign /portable /mobile and such when operating out of our home station.  Logs are suggested but no longer required. Here is a big one for you, Morse Code is no longer a requirement for any license class.

There may be calls available.  The suffix I want may not be. 
Perhaps I want to keep Grandpa's call active and he was from a different area.

Technology has negated any perceived advantage there may have been to area numbers.  I usually know who and where you are licensed before you are done calling CQ.
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 10:32:31 AM »

We also no longer have to sign /portable /mobile.

True, but it might not be a bad idea to voluntarily do that. It would save the extra step of people having to look you up to figure out your general location.

Here is a big one for you, Morse Code is no longer a requirement for any license class.

I assume you were being sarcastic, which is fine and I may deserve it. Yes, that one did not bypass being noticed.

Technology has negated any perceived advantage there may have been to area numbers.  I usually know who and where you are licensed before you are done calling CQ.

The technology to look up someone's QTH may not always be easily available, such as when mobile and driving. In any case, it requires an extra step. One "perceived advantage" of area numbers was that there was additional intelligence/information conveyed along with a ham's call sign. It is sort of analogous to the current telephone area code and number debacle. Knowing where someone is calling from has several advantages that come to mind. With telephone number "portability", some of the intelligence that was implicit by looking at caller ID is now lost; someone with a particular area code or exchange is not necessarily calling from there. Then there is the whole VOIP number spoofing telemarketer thing...don't get me started.

I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me, but some things have been sacrificed in the name of convenience, and these happen to be examples.
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »

I assumed that if someone was located outside their call district, the reason was that they moved and kept their old call. As I mentioned, I never had a reason to look up the vanity rules. I can understand the reasons wanting to keep your old call sign; I am just a bit surprised I guess that a vanity regulation was passed which would allow one to intentionally obtain a call in a "foreign" district, when calls are available in one's home district.

Alan,

I understand your 'plight' as I originally thought this was a bit over the edge years ago when it started. My W5DQ callsign was obtained, not as a 5 lander but as a 6 lander, after my dad passed over the log on Christmas Day 2008. I wanted to do something to provide a lasting tribute to the man who raised me, taught me many life / survival skills other than just how to basically live and was instrumental in my becoming a ham and eventually a electronics engineer. He died from cancer and even though he only held the call for 8 years, I felt it a proper thing to do for him. I would like to think he would have approved in a big way. Since getting the call I have discovered a very interesting past related to it from several previous holders. if you are curious, check out my QRZ page for the details.

As to signing portable, etc., one reason I don't (unless forced to do so by some contest's rules such as the BARTG RTTY a couple weeks ago) is it makes my call longer and defeats the advantage of a 1x2 in contesting as well as really throws fits into some electronic logging situations, especially eQSL. That system just cannot handle a "/6" on my call without having to have a seperate account, which I do.

Gene W5DQ (ex-KI6LO) in California's beautiful Upper Mojave Desert.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KCJ9091

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

I may have agreed with you had the areas been a little more indicative of a more well defined portion of the country.  When I an looking for Washington on 15 meters and hear a load of 7s, but they are all in Arizona I have wasted a good portion of an all to short band opening listening to stations a thousand miles away from where I needed to be.  When working hf looking for a specific state I have a computer on and a window open to QRZ call sign look up.  I hear your call, type it in the box and I know if you are in Washington of Arizona.  I do not have to waste time making a contact with you or waiting for you to give your location to another station to know it may be better to move on to another station.  What you see as a burden I see as a convenience, which your appear to think is a bad thing.

Oh,BTW, I have a smart phone with an unlimited data plan.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »

The rule that your call doesn't have to match your geographic location goes back at least 33 years (1979) and probably farther. I know this because, when I moved back to PA from NY in 1979, I kept my 2-land call. (It's not a vanity, btw).

Yes, I remember when one's call had to match one's geographic location. And it was a small help - but not so much, really.

Look at the call districts just in the 48 contiguous states:

1 land has 6 states.
2 land has 2 states, and stretches from the Atlantic to the Great Lakes, and from Canada to the Delaware Bay.
3 land has 3 states, and stretches from the Atlantic to the Great Lakes.
4 land has 8 states, and stretches from the Atlantic to the Mississippi, and from the Ohio to the Gulf of Mexico.
5 land has 6 states
6 land is just California
7 land has 8 states and stretches from the Pacific to the Great Plains and from Canada to Mexico.
8 and 9 land have 3 states each, and are basically the Great Lakes region.
0 land has 8 states and comprises the Great Plains states, and some of the Rockies.

With rare exceptions, the call district doesn't tell you all that much.

73 de jim, N2EY
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:31:12 PM »

Back in 2001 when i first got into ham radio and they gave me KG4ORX, And now i have a new vanity call N4MJG that was back in 2008 or 2009 can't remember now. The reason i got this call now is it match my name of id !

I too ask same question about the k2hal his name is Hal he wanted k4hal but that was all he can find so he got this call k2hal. my question was anwsered !

Jackie
N4MJG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: