Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microphone Wiring  (Read 1115 times)
KE5GFH

Ignore
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »

I have recently been given a Galaxy GT550 radio, and the microphone jack on the front of the radio is a 1/4" jack.  Looking at the schematic, it shows just two contacts made on the 1/4" post.  I would like to use, if possible, one of my 4 pin mics by converting the 4 pin mic to a 1/4" plug, but I am not sure how to wire the plug. 

Is this even possible?  If so, can anyone give me any ideas on how to make the conversion?

Thank you.

KE5GFH
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »

There should be no problem wiring this. If you look into section 2.4 of the manual there is a nice drawing how to wire the three conductors. Fit this to the output of your microphone.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »

DXzone indicates no standard for the 4-pin connector, so play a little with it using the diagrams in  http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=8202 by using an amplifier and speaker or earphones to identify which wire is the mike.  you can safely ignore that wire in the future and search for the PTT lead with an ohmmeter.  unused pins are likely control or programming leads for the radio, and not useful for the boat anchor.

your generic 1/4 or 3/16 inch "phone" jack wiring has two options.

if you have three conductors (tip, ring, and sleeve from the tippity-top to the screw-on base cap) the tip is PTT voltage to ground.  the ring is mike hot wire.  the sleeve is common ground.  if the PTT and mike hot are reversed, the mike is likely to become a smoke emitter.

if the phone jack has two conductors, tip and sleeve, the tip is mike hot and the sleeve is ground.  there is no remote PTT possible on that.
W1BVV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:41:47 AM »

If your mic is an electret/condenser you'll need a bias supply of 6 - 9 volts DC.  Check past issues of QST for articles on using PC mics.  I use a 9volt rectangular battery for my headset running into my older Yeasu.

73  Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: