The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Non Centered Antenna Question  (Read 2071 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:19:43 PM »

I have  Toyota Yaris that has airbags everywhere.  The only mounting location is in the area of the "C" pillar, near the rear window.  I know the best location is the center of the roof and have seen dozen of studies on antenna placement.  I have not seen a study where the antenna is near the rear window. What antenna pattern and effects will I see? I will be using a Larson 2/70B.

Randy ka4nma
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 04:24:15 AM »

Randy - Very few (if any) mobile antenna placements are optimum unless the antenna is installed in the center of a steel roof of a van etc. There are so many variables in vehicles that modeling a mobile antenna installation is - for all practical purposes - a waste of time. Many hams have done worse than what you described. Do not get too hung up on optimum ground plane requirements in your vehicle. Your antenna requires some kind of metal ground plane to work at its best efficiency but about all any of us can suggest is to try it and see how it works. In my opinion, if that is the best you can do, it should work OK.

Dick AD4U
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:12:27 AM »

The image below has been a fixture in the Larsen antenna catalogs as long as I can remember.  While it's not your exact vehicle or antenna, perhaps it will give you a ballpark idea of the impact of antenna placement.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: