The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 GMC terrain .....Antenna placement choices  (Read 4176 times)
KB2HUK

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2015, 06:56:33 AM »

Aright 1st step completed purchased yaesu ft 991 for my vehicle .  now I would like some input from you guys on what antenna to use and where to put it .  I have used screw driver antennas on my last 4 pick up trucks with good results however this mount on my GMC terrain will be a little harder .  my ideas ... use my existing scorpion or tarheel 200 on a hitch mount , use a atas or little tarheel II with diamond mount high on my rear door entrance or tail gate door (which swings up ) . or possibly a Alpha mil whip attached to my luggage rack ground to the top of vehicle and use a antenna tuner .  Which would seem best to you or would you recommend something else ?  Thanks again to all for your help .  John Molenda kb2huk   Smiley
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:03:03 AM »

Well, the answer is obvious if you're looking for maximum efficiency. However, low mounting isn't that good, even if you use the Scorpion.

Go to my web site's photo gallery, under other installs. Search for K7KKP.

KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:35:55 AM »

Drill a hole for a solid mount on the rear quarter panel that does not have the gas filler. Depending on your exposure to parking garages you can adjust height of the base so you can balance antenna height and utter destruction. The good installations on Alan's web page reinforce this.

FWIW I am going to go through this again as well. One of these days when chaos stops I will be putting a new install into a 2001 Toyota 4runner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: