Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817ND - Production restart status - Post your rumor info here  (Read 7644 times)
W8ADQ

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:14:45 PM »

Huh
Today it is April 10th, 2012.  Would anyone who hears any dealer or distributor hints about the status of restarting production or shipping dates post their tidbits of info here?  I would love it if we could hear from Yaesu.  With everything that has happened in Japan. I'm sure that they WANT to be able to fill our orders. Let's continue to support Yaesu and the nice folks who sell their products by continuing to place orders, even if there are delays.  Our hard earned cash helps them to be able to give us products that so many have found both enjoyable and useful.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:22:15 AM »

I have had some Yaesu rigs I have really liked (including my current FT-950), and I've always thought an 817 looked like a LOT of fun.  But I wonder if that new Elecraft KX3 is going to cut into the demand for the FT-817.   The Elecraft table at the recent Raleigh NC hamfest had a big crowd of people looking at the KX3 this last week.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 05:12:15 AM »

Being that Yaesu is having trouble getting parts for old 817 (for one the manufacturer of display is out of business and its replacement is not a exact match) and that KX3 is a new design and newer technology the 817's days are likely numbered except for loyal followers. Yaesu would have done better to replace/update 817 than struggle to find parts to build more of them.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 07:20:11 AM »

Comparison:

KX3      3.4 x 7.4 x 1.7 inches, 43 cubic inches, 160-6 meters, 10 watts, $1200 with microphone and charger

FT-817  5.3 X 1.5 X 6.5 inches, 52 cubic inches, 160-3/4 meters, 5 watts, $700 with microphone and charger
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 07:26:33 AM by WX7G » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »

KX3 is newer technology and 817 is getting pretty dated and why Yaesu is have problems getting parts for 817. (like trying to get parts for a 10 year old cell phone)

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KE4YOG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:31:43 AM »

AC4RD I was part of the crowd looking at the Elecraft. Right now I am not ready to get a dedicated QRP rig. I will get on in a couple of years once I get better with CW. I have made several QRP contacts with SSB and 5 or 10 watts. Australia, South Africa and most of northern Europe with 5 watts. Namibia with 10 watts. I enjoy QRP even with my G5RV. I have actually get through pile ups with the QRP. The DX hears QRP and gives me priority.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 04:14:23 AM »

AC4RD I was part of the crowd looking at the Elecraft.

Sorry I missed you!   I would have been easy to spot--older white male, big beard, bald, with a little radio on my belt.  Not many of THOSE at the hamfest, eh?   Wink  Wink  Wink    I didn't know the KX3 had such a big price difference over the 817; the press releases made it sound like it was going to be less money.  Still a darned nice-looking radio! 
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »

Maybe if we started doing cheers for Yaesu like they do at sporting events.   Wink

I had thought about an FT-897, but the FT-817ND just has so many bands and modes at low power and a low price for all of that.  Hopefully in a year or so I can add a basic IF/RF level DSP rig into the mix of things.  It is nice to see so many new and reasonably priced options in this area, like the new Elecraft that has created so much excitement and the FT-450D.

For a baby step to DSP, I'm thinking about an IF tap out from the 817 with a little IQ down-mixer to my laptop.

Jack KK4HZP
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »

This morning (May 3rd) I was talking to a nice dealer's sales rep and asked about the current status/fate of the FT-817ND. GREAT NEWS!  I was told that there is now a thirty day waiting period.  This is really good news.  When there is a real time frame given, it's a good indicator that things are moving along.  It looks like the fine folks at Yaesu are *really* working hard to find new solutions for some of their components that became difficult/nearly-impossible/impossible to get after everything that has happened.  I am cheering for them!  And looking forward to a parcel delivery one of these days :-)

- Best wishes to all -
Jack - KK4HZP
K6LCS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »

"Post your rumor here?" I'd rather call Jerry or someone else at Yaesu and get some first-hand information to this thread.

But then I'd have to initiate a new thread: "If you want facts, read on ... " (grin)

Clint K6LCS

Clint Bradford, K6LCS
http://www.work-sat.com
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 06:39:18 AM »

I agree the KX-3 is newer technology and quite a radio, but the FT-817ND's small and light weight package with 160-70cm still will make it the hiker's choice of radio.
K7TBY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »

I just got notification on Facebook from hamcity.com that they finally received shipment of the Ft-817NDs and they are shipping them to their customers soon.
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 08:52:53 AM »

At least right now (morning of May 5th), HRO shows them now in stock in Anaheim and San Deigo.  Good news!

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-007097

Looking at the [Image 1] and [Image 2] buttons on the HRO page with the pictures of the '817 raised a question for me.  Image 1 shows the 817 looking black, and Image 2 shows it looking kind of olive drab, at least on my laptop.  Which is the actual color, or did it change at some point in production?

Jack - KK4HZP

There are a lot more things that I don't know than there are that I do.  Fortunately, it's fun to learn!
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »

And it gets better!  Check out this post:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,82788.0.html

Shipping!  :-)

Jack - KK4HZP
W8ADQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2012, 12:03:15 AM »

Sorry I couldn't find a good rumor.  :-)  How about some nice happy news as a consolation prize?  :-)

I've been thinking lots of well wishing thoughts directed at the fine folks at Yaesu.  They really came through under tough circumstances.

On Thursday I received an Email from Universal Radio in Reynoldsburg Ohio with a UPS tracking number.  My FT-817ND has shipped!  It will be here on Monday.  The FT-817ND is alive and well and back in production. Cheesy  I don't know about others, but I wanted that specific radio for my portable.  I wanted it precisely because it is an older design.  I have the benefit of learning from about a decade of posts with tips, techniques and tweaks.  I can add filters and SDR.  I just wanted a sling over the shoulder HF/VHF/UHF QRP shack in a box with batteries.

And to let you all know, I took your advice VERY seriously about being a new ham and not using a
QRP rig as my only rig.  Money is extremely tight, but I made it work and I chose the Alinco DX-SR8 as a 100 watt home base rig.  It's still light enough to grab and run off with if I need to have higher power on HF on the go.

I got a T match tuner with cross needle Power/SWR for the Alinco, and an LDG surge supressor since it will probably be the first to graduate to an outside antenna from my tiny apartment.

For the FT-817ND I got a QRP SWR/Watt meter and a small and simple L match tuner to use with random wires while on the go, or experimental car antennas.

As soon as I can scrape up a few more dollars. I'll get the basic MFJ-207 HF analyzer to help pretune antennas without modestly large carriers wreaking havoc and causing unnecessary problems for my fellow hams.  Life is tough enough.  And I'll add an LDB surge supressor to the FT-817ND before I use an HF indoor antenna longer than a few meters.  Better safe than sorry.

I also got the point from various threads here at eham very clearly that for an antenna to work well (and safely), especially a random wire, I need a good solid earth ground.  I dug a big hole and sank a big spiral of heavy soft copper tubing that filled the hole.  Then I am driving grounding rods pointing away from the hole and tying the grounding rods and the buried copper together and that will be my station ground.  Should be OK for the 10 watts that I'll be using on the Alinco, and plenty good for the FT-817.

I figured for the next phase, as it was called "Antenna, Antenna, and Antenna" to work well, they need to have a good (or reasonably decent earth ground to work against and to prevent problems and even equipment failures from poor ground causing "RF hot" transceiver cases.

There will be a temporary in-room QRP antenna, but at least it will work against a decent ground!

Someday, I want to be able to purchase a Timewave ANC-4 noice canceller and/or an Inrad 2.0 KHz Collins Filter for the FT-817ND.  To do that, I'm going to have to try to sell my Icom IC-PCR1000 receiver with the UT-106 audio DSP option to Universal Radio as a used rig.  Anyone have any idea what I might get for it there?  I still have my trusty little Yaesu VR-500 to cover the high frequencies, although I need to find a replacement back cover and the little rubber covers for the Clone and Earphone ports.  The case cracked from pressure from the alkaline batteries.  No more alkalines, just NiCd or NiMh as they don't have the big buttons sticking out from the positive terminal that caused the stress that cracked the cover.  Live and learn.

Then someday, (I can dream) a Timewave DX-599zx audio DSP, too.  (Maybe.  Someday.  I dream.)

Jack - KK4 -HZP

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 08:41:37 AM by KK4HZP » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: