Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hellenic RF labs amplifier boards sold on Ebay  (Read 11366 times)
W9RAS

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »

Anyone had experience with the Amplifier circuit boards sold on Ebay by the Hellenic RF Lab and shipped from Greece?  I am tempted to get a 300 W one for 6 meters and was wondering if anyone has had experience with these boards?  And  do they come with any information schematic or instructions or do you just get a circuit board ?  THANKS GUYS !   BOB

my email is     mooo46@yahoo.com  if you want to contact me direct   thats MOOO with three o's  not zeros!  73 W9RAS
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 11:52:43 AM »

You could contact the seller. You had mentioned a 6M version. He only has a VHF version listed (88-110 MHz), which uses a MRF151G module. It's spec sheet is below. You might get the info on the module in the one you are interested in (which is probably different), and then see if it will work for you. I just posted the link below so you could see the data available.

http://www.macomtech.com/datasheets/MRF151G.pdf
W9RAS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:55:50 PM »

NA4IT thanks for your reply I have tried and been unable to contact the seller I sent him an email using the "ask seller a question" thing on Ebay but got no reply .  That is the main  reason why I asked my question has anyone had experience with these amps? and buying them on Ebay ?  He sells several models including a 43 to 75 MHZ unit with the MRF151 . They look like very good amps .  73  BOB
NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »

It may be those amps are of a "standard" design used by many manufacturers that pay attention to the component data sheets. We use several small (50W) amps on repeaters that are of a long used tried and true Motorola design, but made by differing manufacturers. Put them side by side, the insides all look the same.

You might look at http://www.communication-concepts.com/new_page_1.htm. They have some good building blocks for solid state amps. Some of the HF stuff does do 6M.
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:41:37 PM »

I'd be very careful with these units. They always state it's either a BLF278 or the MRF151. So you got to take what is being delivered. They are also selling boards without the active element. If they don't even answer your questions I'd rather stay away.
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:17:00 AM »

"He only has a VHF version listed (88-110 MHz)"

Since this frequency range is used for FM broadcasting, bear in mind it may very well be a class C amp and not useable for SSB without altering the biasing.
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:11:42 AM »

I'd avoid any seller who ignores questions.

Pete
ZL2FAE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:41:07 AM »

Sad. Unfortunately I did not do a search on this person and have a board that is causing problems.  The email trail has now stopped at their end so my advice based on dealings with this individual is AVOID this eBay trader.
ZL2FAE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 02:32:26 PM »

Sad. Unfortunately I did not do a search on this person and have a board that is causing problems.  The email trail has now stopped at their end so my advice based on dealings with this individual is AVOID this eBay trader.

Beware of this trader is all I can say.  (I am noticing a trend for ebay fringe sellers to have pictures of their product showcassed with a stack of hi-tech test gear in the background.)

My email to eBay and their response below.  I am sharing this as it is true and factual.  Also given that eBay have put the ball back in my court and no reply to my last email from the supplier I can assume they no longer care about their customers.  I do know who I would recomend for amplifier boards.  He is a Ham, has always been helpfull and a true gent and does not hide behind a sham eBay store.

eBay sent this message to Stannard, Simon (zl2fae).
 Your registered name is included to show this message came from eBay. Learn more about how to tell if an email is really from eBay.

RE: Seller performance standards SR# 1-7579178078

Dear Simon,

Thank you for your email. My name is Kendra and I'll be glad to assist you today! I understand that you had purchased the Power Amplifier Pallet (item # 320696234985) from the seller "hellenic_rf_lab" a year ago, but when you began having troubles with the product you had trouble getting technical assistance from the seller and now you cannot post any Feedback.  I understand that you want to report the seller for their poor selling behavior and want to know what can be done for your situation.  I'm sorry to hear that you've had problems with your item!  I'm happy to explain what can be done in this situation.

Simon, unfortunately eBay cannot enforce any warranties on products that you buy.  We don't have policies surrounding warranties because most sellers are selling products that they have in their inventory from manufacturers, not items that they created themselves.  Because of the fact that you are seldom buying directly from the manufacturer, or an authorized seller of this company's products, typically the items you purchase do not have a warranty that you can utilize at all, and you would need to work directly with the seller so that they could activate the warranty process for you since the seller would have purchased the item from the manufacturer, and the warranty would be in their name.  However, because a warranty is often considered voided when an item is resold by a private dealer, such as an average eBay sellers, eBay does not have policies in place to enforce warranties.  For that reason, I'm afraid there is nothing we can do to enforce the seller to provide the item with a warranty.

If the item had arrived not functioning as was described in the listing, you could have opened an Item Not As Described case in the Resolution Center for assistance returning the item to the seller for a refund.  However, eBay Buyer Protection only covers a purchase for 45 days after the date you paid for your item.  With eBay Buyer Protection, 45 days is the maximum amount of time allowed to open a case in the Resolution Center. This is because after 45 days we can no longer access the seller's financial account to move money, and therefore no longer have any way to enforce a refund.  So, because your purchase was more than 45 days ago, I'm afraid that we could not force the seller to accept a return in exchange for a refund.

While it is unfortunate that your item no longer functions appropriately for you, I'm afraid that the seller is not breaking any policies so I have nothing to report their account for.  In this situation, the best thing that you can do is continue to attempt to work with the seller to make arrangements to perhaps receive a partial refund for repairs, or to send the item back to the seller for a refund.  However, this will need to be worked out between you and the seller, because this transaction is so old that eBay cannot take any actions on it any longer.

I hope this information has been both helpful and clear in explaining that you will need to continue to work with the seller regarding your troubles with this item, as there is nothing eBay can do for this situation.  I apologize for any inconvenience or frustrations this situation has caused, and thank you both for your understanding and for being a dedicated member of the eBay community since May of 2005.  We appreciate your continued loyalty over the past eight years.  Best wishes to you, Simon, and have a great day!

Regards,
Kendra W.
eBay Customer Service

[THREAD ID:1-3HCG38G]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 4/17/2013 09:16:55 AM
Subject: Seller performance standards

Sent:

2013-04-17 01:15:37.0

Subject:

Seller performance standards

Enter your question / concern

I have purchaced (from ebay) an iten #320696234985 from a seller "hellenic_rf_lab" about a year ago. I was new to ebay then and did not leave feedback (now know how to). I have had problems getting resolution to a fault with the product despite sending multiple emails to the person running the store. I believe she is misrepresenting herself as owning or operating an RF LAB. I believe she has no technical ability to support or resolve any issues with products she implies she has designed. I also believe that others have had problems but she is very good at fobbing buyers with issues off until we can no longer post feedback on ebay. What can be done? I believe she has sold me a cheap chinese knock off. In fact I doubt if the store realy is in Greece. Poor english or a deliberate miss spell to avoid any form of warranty. Note the deliberate misspelling of warranty. Quote from a listing.. "All amplifiers are tested and warrandy working from my Lab signature". Regards Simon Stannard ZL2FAE

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 07:55:56 PM »

Bob -

Maybe you can talk Jim, W6PQL into adopting one of his VHF designs for 6 meters.
http://www.w6pql.com/
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:58:33 PM »

You could consider posting a review of this board here on eham. This will not solve your particular problem, however, it'll be a warning to potential buyers.
ZL2FAE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 02:34:58 PM »

Bob -

Maybe you can talk Jim, W6PQL into adopting one of his VHF designs for 6 meters.
http://www.w6pql.com/

This was a 2 mt design.
 Jim is the one I would trust these days.  Always helpful and consequently he gets the majority of my spend on -AR kits and projects.   Additional bonus is English is his first language.

Am looking to put the board on a specan to support the review.
G0MJW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »

Thanks for the warning - I was looking at the 6m/4m 1kW amplifier - $600. Close examination of the PCB photos shows it to be FR4 and probably home made. Nothing especially wrong with being home made but I am not sure FR4 is suitable for 1kW long term. I will work for a while no doubt but has a tendency to run warm and perhaps burn out longer term in with high RF at VHF. Fine for 300W and I think those amplifiers are a good deal.

Jim's stuff is good - and costs considerably more $800 due to the quality - its such a pity he isn't located here in the UK! I will just have to wait until I am next visiting the US. Jim does speak English (well a variation of it) but that's no good reason to not go with a company, DB6NT for example speaks comparatively little English but you can't fault his stuff. 

There is also a company from Italy, Italab, that produce pallets, similar prices to Jim and also have ready built modules with filtering, metering and protection that look a very good deal for €800-900 + taxes.

Mike
9A7PSN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 03:54:08 PM »

Hello to all!

First, sorry for my bad English.

I have also buy 300W 144MHz amplifier modul from Hellenic RF Lab, and at finnish, I have pay big money for nothing.
I become amplifier that can only work with FM modulation.
Problem is when I put BIAS voltage over 2.5V (for AB class and BLF278 must be from 3V till 3.1V) amplifier goes to oscillations. I have try everything, new power supply, new coax relays and etc., and allways same thing, oscillations.
I not need amplifier for FM, I need it for SSB, and this all amplifiers from Hellenic RF Lab is same design (almost for all frequencys) and can not work in class AB.

I have send 10 times emails to owner but he never answer.

Do not buy this amplifiers and loos your money for nothing. This amplifiers are garbage.
VO1KS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »

I purchased a 144MHz combiner from Hellenic RF Lab on eBay.
The product supplied had potential, but quality control was very poor.
Here are some photos.

http://members.rennlist.org/warren/HellenicRFLab.html
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: