Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New car battery?  (Read 2837 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 06:11:21 AM »

I would be careful about that.  Some of the newer cars with electronic ignition circuitry will not start that way if the battery voltage drops low enough.  Has to do with the vehicle computers and their minimum voltage requirement.

I would not be concerned about that part at all. battery voltage can drop to 10 volts and less when cranking at times and ignition and computer has no problems with that. A few years ago my daughter lost her alternator in here car coming back from college for weekend in her Saturn. It was late, dark and very cold too. I meet her and jumpered her off and charger it up 20 minute and then drove it for a while and did  it again until we got it home 40 miles later. I had a Data chip in OBD2 port that records engine data and battery voltage and it showed than one time voltage dropped to 9 volts and engine still ran fine.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 10:09:55 AM »

also remember to identify you cables, so in 6 months when you want to change something,  you will know which cable
 goes where.  I use  tape and a note book.   antenna one has 1 wrap of tape on it.  cable 2 has 2wraps of tape ,
 spaced about an inch apart, and so on, cable 8 has 8 rings of tape on it.  like seperate little rings going  up
 the coax.  then I make a note of which cable ( ie cable 1 has 1 ring of tape on it) and it is the 2m only antenna
 and the #2 cable is the 1.2 g antenna coaz and such and put the note in the glove box.  and then I also drw a
picture to show which mount has which number. 8 runs of identical coax and 5 runs of  power leads all look like
 the other.  the little dymo labels pull off, but rings of electrical tape or even blue  painters tape will work.
 so what if it looks like a racoons tail.  At least you know what is what.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 05:46:58 AM »

You could also use colored electricians tape for that.  You can get rolls of it just about anywhere these days.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: