Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kenwood ts-830  (Read 2168 times)
K4MFN

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »

I had access to a Kenwood TS 830 for a few days; thinking of buying it. It was fine except for an intermittent drifting (upward) of received freq--the digital freq. would show about 300 hz shift up. Also, intermitt. the FIX lamp illuminated and the freq. on dispkay was locked--tuning dial had no effect. Recycling the FIX switch would restore the orig. frequency it was tuned to. Is this a common problem with this model? I am basically a Boat Anchor man from way back and this new fangled stuff intimidates me.

Harold
k4mfn
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:13 PM »

Sounds like all that is "wrong" is that the contacts on the FIX switch are a bit dry, dirty or corroded.  That's a simple matter that can be handled with a wee spritz of DEOXIT spray or equivalent. 

Cleaning controls is a matter of routine maintenance as time marches on.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »

I had access to a Kenwood TS 830 for a few days; thinking of buying it. It was fine except for an intermittent drifting (upward) of received freq--the digital freq. would show about 300 hz shift up. Also, intermitt. the FIX lamp illuminated and the freq. on dispkay was locked--tuning dial had no effect. Recycling the FIX switch would restore the orig. frequency it was tuned to. Is this a common problem with this model? I am basically a Boat Anchor man from way back and this new fangled stuff intimidates me.

Harold
k4mfn

I have owned a 830 for well over 20 years now. Take top of rig and make sure all the screws securing circuit boards are tight as this can cause the 300 hz jump you are seeing at times.

As far as the Fix button, rig has not been made for over 20 years and some dirt or oxidation can form on push button contacts. Not a big deal. Also sometimes output power can flux when band switch gets dirty. Cleaning it or cycling it several times will fix this.

The 830 is still a class act even today and clean one is a good investment.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:59:01 PM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 08:45:53 AM »

I've owned my 830 for almost 30 years.  It has been necessary to use contact cleaner on the switches and controls two or three times in that period.  The only other problems I've had is a broken wire to the meter switch which I didn't bother to fix and an intermittent similar to what you describe.

I found it necessary to install star washers between the PCBs and the metal mounting frame.  That took care of that. 

As JX said, the 830 is a class act!
K4MFN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 06:12:42 PM »

Thanks one and all. Good info.

Harold
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: