Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cootie (Sideswiper) Construction Plans?????  (Read 466 times)
W1YB

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2006, 12:30:47 PM »

I would like to build a 'Cootie' key for sideswiping.  I vaguely recall from my youth that Cooties were built from hacksaw blades, etc.  I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could direct me to a set of plans/instructions for assembling such a monster!

Thanks!

73 DE W1YB
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 06:19:29 PM »

eBay frequently lists old sideswipers, with decent photos.  You could get some ideas from one of those.  Try searching for "(key or paddle) and (not telescope)" within the Consumer Electronics section, or for "Bunnell" (if I've spelled it right).

The "tradition" is to have a fixed vertical post which holds a short steel flat spring sticking out sideways.  The main arm is a piece of brass, several inches long, screwed to that spring, with fingerpieces on the free end of the arm.

So the arm can move sideways (held centered by the spring), but cannot move vertically.

Contacts are mounted to the left and right of the main arm.

I found quite a few "hacksaw-based" keys in the Morse key collections on the internet.  Some of those were just a length of hacksaw blade, with tape wrapped around one end, and contacts on either side.  

"Plans" for those were "What can I find in the ship's junkbox?" <g>

Good luck!

W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:08:25 AM »

Thanks to all who replied!  I think I can build it now without detailed plans.

KA8VIT's pics were very helpful!
KC0QXU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 03:25:16 PM »

http://www.amqrp.org/projects/paddle/NB6M%20Paddles.html

Although that isn't designed as a cootie key. It is obvious how easily it can be changed. I like how he took into account adjusting the arm spring tension.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: