Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A question for the CW experts.  (Read 652 times)
W5CPT

Ignore
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:50:26 PM »

I have a CW question.  I am not much of a CW person but sometimes I have to use it to get some of rarer ones that only operate CW.  To aid in my reduced ability to read my own call sign when sent very fast, I have a program that copies CW rather well once it is set up (CWGet).

Here's the question: When I tune the station I'm listening to for max, his tone is 1000 Hz. And when I send my tone is 600 Hz.  CWGet has a spectrum display that shows all this. There is a control on my radio that sets the CW PITCH but when centered the above frequencies are noted. And the PITCH control does not have enough range to change 600 Hz to 1000 Hz either in TX or RX.

1. Is this correct? I don't see any other way to set the CW sidetone to anything else.

2. Do I peak the RX signal and not worry about the 400 Hz difference? I really want to be as close to his signal as I can get given that I only run 100W and I don't need the attenuation that being slightly off frequency will give me.

Your help is appreciated.

Clint – W5CPT

AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 02:10:18 PM »

It sounds like your IF shift is offset.  Since your CW offset is set at 600 Hz, tune in the desired signal for a 600 HZ tone, and then peak the signal by adjusting your IF shift control.  

Phil - AD5X
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2006, 07:03:24 AM »

Phil,
Nope. The radio is an Icom IC-756 (non Pro) and has no IF shift. It does have a Twin Pass Band Tuning control and both of those are in the detent making the signal centered in the passband. I get the little picture in the LCD and the audio supports the indicator. I am beginning to think the radio is faulty as it is also doing some other odd things.  I may have to turn this into a "Where can I get my Icom aligned and how much is it going to cost me?" thread.

Clint - W5CPT
N8IK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 11:10:25 AM »

Clint,
Be sure AFC is turned off in CWGet. Turn off Break-in on your 756 so that it becomes a very expensive code oscillator (or use a dummy load). Now key down and note what tone CWGet is hearing from your rig. With AFC turned off on CWGet you can left-click (and right-click) on the peak and read off the tone at the bottom of the CWGet window. Turning AFC off keeps the tone marker fixed. If your CW pitch on the 756 is centered it should be around 600Hz. CWGet will report 598 or 603Hz (close enough). Now attach an antenna and find a QSO or better, try a "frequency standard" like W1AW's code practice. Peak their signal at 600Hz and you should be spot on. Crank down the PBT to 50 or 100Hz and they should still be there. Works fb for me.
73, Ian N8IK
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 01:24:33 PM »

Ian,
Thanks so much. I had started to wonder if my "tuning" was suspect and never considered a known freq transmission.  I looked up the Code Practice sked on the ARRL website, tuned to the freq listed (21.0675) and sure enough CWGet had the code dead on 600Hz.  The transmitted tone has always been 600Hz so the radio was O.K. the whole time. I will have to chalk it up to my old ears.

Again thanks for the insight.

Clint - W5CPT

N8IK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »

fb Clint!  Now set up your 756's keyer memories for the contest exchange for CQWW at the end of this month. Even if you're a 5-10wpm guy you will work a bunch of DX at 25-30wpm with no problem! Nothing like a contest to get really good at zero-beating with CWGet. Anyone you can hear, you can work - guaranteed! And your code speed will improve too!  e-mail me direct if you want more specifics. 73, Ian N8IK at arrl dot net
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 11:51:13 AM »

Ian et All,
That is exactly my intent.  During the contests the rate gets fast and this is where my failing ears and poor code to begin with, does me in.  The CWGet is my back up. My bride, who can still copy 40 GPM (groups per minute - Ex High Speed CW Op in the Army) helps me occasionally with DX stations and DXPeditions but during the contests I use the CWGet. As they say - See you in the pile ups.

Clint - W5CPT
N8IK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 12:29:37 PM »

Wow! Has your bride ever tried RUFZ?  Would be interesting to see how fast she is if she can do 40gpm!  See http://www.rufzxp.net/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: