The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ETHICS ISSUE: "SHARING" RT SYSTEMS HAM RADIO PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE  (Read 59170 times)
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2014, 03:09:16 PM »

And prevented a whole lot less killing than WWII.

Peter
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2014, 05:25:22 PM »

Hello.

Chinese radios as a rule use all the same firmware, it is open source.
For example baofeng.
I can make unlimited copies of the firmware, tell you exactly how it works, etc. it is open source.
I have Motorola Sabre radios that I have flushed the firmware from, and now run open source.
This programming software (RSS) is no longer needed.
Motorola spun off the semiconductor side (Freescale) and cellular side (Motorola Mobility).
So, going open source was easy.
The key advantage to me is that I can program a radio from a keypad, and no EULA.
So, this is a double edged sword, but from an end user standpoint, open source has advantages that closed software does not.
With that said RT systems is closed software, Chirp is not.
I can give anyone chirp, legally.
It is not that I dislike RT systems, but I prefer open source for this very reason.
Thank you.
VA2PBJ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »

But open source has problems that go along with any underfunded projects; poor QC. This is not the fault of the coders, more of the environment. An example would be Voip PBX software. I have tried 3 different distributions of AstrixPBX in my home, to find an alternitive for my workplace. They have all gone into a tailspin at some point and had to be wiped and rebuilt from scratch. You can't do that to a business.

Profit is what drives stability.

Peter
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2014, 12:59:29 AM »

But open source has problems that go along with any underfunded projects; poor QC. This is not the fault of the coders, more of the environment. An example would be Voip PBX software. I have tried 3 different distributions of AstrixPBX in my home, to find an alternitive for my workplace. They have all gone into a tailspin at some point and had to be wiped and rebuilt from scratch. You can't do that to a business.

Profit is what drives stability.
Hello.

USAA, one of the worlds largest insurance companies, uses cisco phones and open source for VoIp.
hundreds of phones.
I have a Trixbox here.
I have NEVER had any trouble, NEVER!
You can get open source with commercial support, that is what Red Hat and Fonality is.
http://www.fonality.com/about
http://rhel.redhat.com/?sc_cid=70160000000d8M3AAI&s_kwcid=AL!4205!3!43199037976!e!!g!!red%20hat%20enterprise%20linux&sc_cid=70160000000d8M3AAI&gclid=CjkKEQjwiPWcBRCTj_-Vz8fE3cMBEiQAZIMSUppO7g-3phLsKUIgghfVlbjh7Gwj65mINWW1ZeQ3jkXw_wcB&ef_id=UvUVawAABSWAHyei:20140615075234:s
So, you see, you can have your open source and commercial support.
If I were to copy red hat onto my computer, not a word would be said, what the site is paying for is only the support.
I run around with a Motorola talkie, that runs open source.
Every feature is open, every function, and dozens were added.
There is nothing Motorola can do, as the firmware is open source, supported by Freescale.
Thank you.
VK4CH

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2014, 02:47:05 AM »

One thing you need to be aware of is that different countries have different laws and US law only applies to USA.

For example:

In my country, Australia, software can be sold second hand (something that has REALLY upset Microsoft), region coding on DVDs and games etc is illegal and software can be installed on as many devices as you like provided it is only ever used on one at a time.

Now before some "legal expert" arcs up, Microsoft and Sony aided by several major New York law firms went to war on this some years ago and left with their tails between their legs.

Eeny meany miny moe
can you hear my radio
if you can let me know
eeny meany miny moe
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »

... Lots of things that were invented in the USA were done by immigrants. ...

How does that, in any way, undermine my point?  The USA is a country of immigrants.  People come here, in part, in order to succeed.  Our environment, our laws, our ethos encourage invention and innovation.  Doesn't matter where the person comes from.
KA5PIU

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 11:52:45 AM »

Hello.

Australia has passed some laws that actually make sense.
In Australia, you OWN the software.
You can sell it, provided you sell all of the original material.
The EULA, the Australian courts have ruled against most of it.
If a person owns 50 computers but clearly is only going to use one at a time, there is nothing wrong with installing it on 50 computers, provided that they all belong to him.
But, if that person sells even one computer, the software must be removed or sold as well.
The rights to that software rests with the owner, and not the machine.
But, lets say it is a commercial firm, and it has 50 computers, than 50 licenses would be required.
I understand that and can agree with it.
Lets say you bought a computer with bundled software, a restore disc, and you have the very same model of computer, you may restore from any copy, as that was what was provided with that machine.
The license rests with that machine.
It came with XP, it can have XP reloaded, no matter where it came from.
Micro$oft says it is OEM, and provides no retail support? fine, so the consumer is free to find support outside of Micro$oft.
Again, this is Australia.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »

BULLDOZE EVERY STINKING COMPUTER AND DUMP THEM ALL IN THE LANDFILL.  THIS WOULD BE AN INFINITELY HAPPIER WORLD; MAYBE EVEN, ONCE AGAIN, FIT TO LIVE IN!  (and, YES, I DO know what CAPITAL letters mean!)
W3RSW

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »

Unless your driving a somewhat older car or a bicycle, better start walkin'.  Grin
Um, how'd'ja get on here anyway to use those Caps?

You knew you'd get humorous responses.

Rick, W3RSW
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2014, 06:21:31 PM »

If I were to copy red hat onto my computer, not a word would be said, what the site is paying for is only the support.

Anyone can download the  Red Hat clone called CentOS for free (It is Red Hat unbranded).  CentOS is for those who can do their own support. In addition, Scientific Linux is also considered a Red Hat Clone.  And then there is also Fedora. Recently there is an announcement that Red Hat and CentOS are actually joining forces.

http://www.zdnet.com/red-hat-incorporates-free-red-hat-clone-centos-7000024907/

"CentOS is a community project that is developed, maintained, and supported by and for its users and contributors. RHEL is a subscription product that is developed, maintained, and supported by Red Hat for its subscribers."

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 06:23:44 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows 98  ------------------ for Packet Radio.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: