Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KA1SU: What ever happened to a man's word?  (Read 26899 times)
NS6V

Ignore
« on: April 27, 2012, 09:32:02 PM »

4/26 1630 PDT: Made offer on his Flex Radio 5000A that he had just listed on QTH.com (and another site)
4/26 1711 PDT: He makes a counteroffer (just a couple of hundred higher) and says since I was the first to make an offer, I had right of first refusal
4/26 1715 PDT: Agreed 100 % to his counteroffer, told him to consider the radio sold. Needed additional info to get him a cashiers check the next morning
4/26 1958 PDT: Followed up with another email to make sure he got my acceptance of his counteroffer.
4/27 0603PDT: Received email that he has sold the radio...but to someone else. I never said no, couldn't have acted much faster to agree to his offer (4 minutes). He said he never got my 4/26 1711 email (yet all others seem to get to him)
4/27 0800 PDT: reminded him that he said I had first right of refusal and felt that the radio should be sold to me.
4/27 1100 PDT: Sent email telling him I was very disappointed after finding that he had pulled his ads, marking the item sold.

Haven't heard a peep from him since his early morning email telling me it was gone. Geez, I respond within 4 minutes and then even followed up less than three hours later.

Not the way it used to be, hopefully not the way it will be in the future. I'm sure someone offered more $ for the radio and he didn't have the intestinal fortitude to tell me such or give me an opportunity to match the offer.

If you have any dealings with KA1SU, or perhaps even his ham radio company Quimby Mountan Radio in NH, I would strongly suggest that you deal elsewhere with someone who stands by his word. As far as I'm concerned, you can put this guy on your "never buy anything from him" list.

I've got all the emails, but no radio. Bummer. 
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »

4/26 1630 PDT: Made offer on his Flex Radio 5000A that he had just listed on QTH.com (and another site)
4/26 1711 PDT: He makes a counteroffer (just a couple of hundred higher) and says since I was the first to make an offer, I had right of first refusal
4/26 1715 PDT: Agreed 100 % to his counteroffer, told him to consider the radio sold. Needed additional info to get him a cashiers check the next morning
4/26 1958 PDT: Followed up with another email to make sure he got my acceptance of his counteroffer.
4/27 0603PDT: Received email that he has sold the radio...but to someone else. I never said no, couldn't have acted much faster to agree to his offer (4 minutes). He said he never got my 4/26 1711 email (yet all others seem to get to him)
4/27 0800 PDT: reminded him that he said I had first right of refusal and felt that the radio should be sold to me.
4/27 1100 PDT: Sent email telling him I was very disappointed after finding that he had pulled his ads, marking the item sold.

Haven't heard a peep from him since his early morning email telling me it was gone. Geez, I respond within 4 minutes and then even followed up less than three hours later.

Not the way it used to be, hopefully not the way it will be in the future. I'm sure someone offered more $ for the radio and he didn't have the intestinal fortitude to tell me such or give me an opportunity to match the offer.

If you have any dealings with KA1SU, or perhaps even his ham radio company Quimby Mountan Radio in NH, I would strongly suggest that you deal elsewhere with someone who stands by his word. As far as I'm concerned, you can put this guy on your "never buy anything from him" list.

I've got all the emails, but no radio. Bummer. 

The words "cashiers check" gives it away.  What more than likely happened is that someone made an offer and was willing to pay by Paypal immediately.  When you agree to accept a cashier's check, then the check has to be sent in the mail, waited for, and then cashed.  Too many guys say they are going to send the check but change their minds later.  The seller could have actually sold the radio instead of waiting for a check to come in the mail.  That is why immediate Paypal transactions are the way to go.  The deal is done before the buyer or the seller has time for buyer's/seller's remorse.

I don't know how many times I have advertised something and exchanged the million questions "tire kicking" emails with potential buyers.  While they are taking days to make up their minds, some other good buyer swoops in and pays for it via Paypal.  A few days later you get the "I'll take it email" and by that time it is long sold. 

Early bird gets the worm...  Early Paypal purchaser gets the goods...

Gene
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:55:03 AM »

No, you couldn't have acted any more quickly, but he may have had dealings with another ham that just strung him along to the point that he missed other genuine opportunities to sell the equipment to someone else.

The only thing I see wrong on his part is his telling you you had the right of first refusal.

The other thing is that he may have told the other buyer that he had sold the radio--and the other buyer offered him more money.  That has happened to me many times with radio equipment and other things.  I just never deal with the person again--and that is your only recourse.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 07:33:17 AM by K1CJS » Logged
WV4I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 05:42:13 AM »

If you have any dealings with KA1SU, or perhaps even his ham radio company Quimby Mountan Radio in NH,

Well I have and the deal went smoothly, item , LDG AT 200Pro tuner, was just as advertised, at a fair price.

May I respectfully suggest that if no money was lost, and we're done to dates and exact times, that we're starting to make this a non hobby.
W4WXT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 07:22:27 AM »

I agree, PayPal is the only way to go. BUT the statement of "first refusal" should have been honored no matter how he was to be paid.

“Human happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected.”
― George Washington

“Regard your good name as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of -- for credit is like fire; when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear.”
― Socrates
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 08:17:13 AM »

Some may well suggest that PayPal is the way to go, but PayPal does do wrong by people too, especially if the other party is the least bit dishonest.

I too use PayPal--as a last recourse--and I have a dedicated PayPal bank account so they can't mess with my money.  I was burnt once by dishonesty.  Never again.  And if PayPal shuts me off, well, so what?
W1JCW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 06:31:24 PM »

This guy KA1SU is a real clown and a low life. I just had a dealing with him which he exhibited no professionalism, no common courtesy even after two emails and a few nice phone calls about a deal. The guy didn't take a min to make a phone or reply via email. Then he gets an attitude when I called him on his non-actions and lack of courtesy.
To bad for him, I was going to use him for a 2500 radio unit service depot I manage for highway patrol. See he lost a lot more then making a new ham friend and doing the right thing. 
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »

This guy KA1SU is a real clown and a low life. I just had a dealing with him which he exhibited no professionalism, no common courtesy even after two emails and a few nice phone calls about a deal. The guy didn't take a min to make a phone or reply via email. Then he gets an attitude when I called him on his non-actions and lack of courtesy.
To bad for him, I was going to use him for a 2500 radio unit service depot I manage for highway patrol. See he lost a lot more then making a new ham friend and doing the right thing.  

If this is the way you are, you probably did the guy a favor.

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »

NS6V, same thing just happened to me a couple weeks ago with a neighbor's S10 pickup I agreed to buy.  Neighbor says I've got it but he's going on vacation and we'll settle up when he gets back.  Neighbor shows up a month and a half later with my deposit and tells me he sold it to someone else.

The fool used my money for over a month, sold the vehicle out from under me and didn't so much as say "go to hell" or offer to pay me for the use of MY money.

PEOPLE JUST CAN'T BE TRUSTED ANYMORE!  A person's word means absolutely NOTHING. Lucky for this fool he just moved!

So...it isn't JUST the internet; its our immoral, uncaring society as a whole.  If it isn't a store that's been in business "forever", I don't even give it a second thought and, even then, I know I have no guarantees.

Tom
W1JCW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 05:48:19 PM »

If this is the way you are, you probably did the guy a favor.

If this is the way you are, you should mind your own post and stay out of others !

KA1SU is the guy who lost a good business contact and further $$ due to him being unprofessional, over all lack of common courtesy and no class !

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:24:32 AM »

Some may well suggest that PayPal is the way to go, but PayPal does do wrong by people too, especially if the other party is the least bit dishonest.
Could you expand on this a bit please?  I have used Paypal for decades, and have had three problems in total, all of which PayPal resolved to my satisfaction.  I have heard this over and over, by others, and have never seen an example of it.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »

I had the "fun" of dealing with W2FF on a $12 item.  Yeah, $12.  I asked respectfully when he contacted me, to please let me know when he sends/ships the item and how it is being sent.  I asked for a reason.  I am not anxious for it, just need to know about when it might be in route.  After about 5 emails without response, I am now unsure if the call/email was hacked or what.  So I contacted PP and filed a dispute which holds the payment.

Now, I get a response.   Yeah he is real, PO'd I had the lousy $12 pulled and held, but hell, the guy wouldn't spend 10 seconds responding to at least 5 emails.  To me, it looked like a highjacked call.  No Phone Number was ever provided.

So, emails me and tells me it was sent, to get a life, child, etc.  WHat a dolt.

Anyway, it is sad our society is like this.  Instead of avoiding all this nonsense, one email response would have sufficed but this guy didn't want to be bothered or something.  So, my question is, why respond to a Want to Buy ad if it is so much trouble for you? 

I just don't get the attitudes of some of these characters that hover around the swap boards.

At least I now know he was legit, albeit not a pleasnant person to deal with.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 05:22:34 AM »

Could you expand on this a bit please?  I have used Paypal for decades, and have had three problems in total, all of which PayPal resolved to my satisfaction.  I have heard this over and over, by others, and have never seen an example of it.

To make a long story short, I sold a Kenwood commercial rig to a fellow who substituted his own damaged unit as the shipped unit--and made a claim to PayPal.  I didn't take the precaution of keeping a record of the model and serial numbers and pictures of the rig and couldn't prove the substitution, and PayPal removed the payment from my account.  I got back the damaged rig, the other fellow got the good one--and I was left with the bad taste in my mouth about how PayPal favors the buyers.  Now I document e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g, with pictures, numbers and other identifying data when I do use E-bay or any other sale where PayPal is involved.  73!
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:45:58 AM »

I too got burned by a dishonest individual and I too, will do exactly as mentioned previously...document the serial number, condition, photos (inside and out). 
Sad you have to be so darn meticulous just selling something but in this world, scammers and rip off artists abound...at least you have something to stand on.

Sound advice and well to heed....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: