Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 530-1700 KHz: Hearing Europe From the U.S.  (Read 26947 times)
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »

I remember this from when I was a kid, and it's pretty astonishing. We had a 62' Ford Falcon station wagon with the regular Ford AM radio in it. My father used to sit in the evenings during the summer and pick up radio Sutanensa from Colombia, SA all the way in Wayne, PA. This was back in 1969 when we first moved to the Philly area. This was one of the things that got me into radio. What a memory. Back then it was an incredible feat as it would be today.

Jaime-KA3NXN
WB2BJH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2012, 03:53:12 PM »

Earlier there was a question about a strong station on 530. In the Eastern half of the US, that could be Radio Vision Cristiana, which broadcasts religious programs, many in Spanish. Or, if it's non-religious with music and talk, it might be Radio Enciclopedia, from Cuba. There's also another station but less powerful, R. Rebelde also in Cuba. R. Rebelde is a Cuban network, but factual information about Cuban stations other than what we DX'ers hear is mostly unavailable.

Russ
near Philadelphia, PA
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 12:15:38 AM »

Last winter I thought it was interesting to pick up a few Euro and African broadcast stations in the longwave 150-200 KHz range. But I've never heard such DX in the U.S. AM BCB. I doubt many Americans have, especially those living inland.

Have you (North Americans) ever heard intercontinental DX in the AM broadcast band? Any tips to offer as far as loudest stations and best frequencies/times?

Living inland on the West Coast, I've heard a couple stations from Japan, although not recently.  One was JOUB-774khz-500KW.  I also heard North Korea on a boom box (with a 4 ' spiral loop) in the mid-1980s.

My longest recent catch (not intercontinental) was a station in Mexico City, 2300 miles away, ironically on the same boom box (with a Select-A-Tenna).  It was during some auroral conditions, and the "grey line" was probably also a factor.

The only tips I can give are similar to the ones the others have given: look up the frequencies of powerhouse signals overseas. 

And it takes patience, lots of patience.  I've monitored channels for half hours or more trying to get an ID, or at least ID a station through it's geographical comments, slogans, language, etc.  And sometimes still came up with an UNID.   But that's part of the fun of it.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: