Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TROUBLE WITH FIREFOX  (Read 5045 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »

HELP!  I'm having problems with FireFox again, as usual.

About a week ago, I clicked to open FireFox, v-11.  The program opened but the FireFox home screen with the Google search bar didn't come up.

The URL for the FireFox home page is:  start.mozilla.org/firefox?client+firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

I get error messages: "404 NOT FOUND" and "REQUESTED URL.FIREFOX NOT FOUND"

Our bank's tech support advised me to download the latest version, V-12.  I did.  Same problem.

I tried my laptop which has an older version of FireFox and isn't generally used online.  Again, same problem.

Essentially, I get the error messages and no home page but, otherwise, the browser works fine.  I've heard that lately FireFox has been having problems and has been somewhat unstable.

What's up?  Any solutions?

Please, no recommendations for Google Chrome.  It's complete lack of privacy gives me the creeps, kind of like a pervert looking under the stall doors in the men's room.

N9LCD

Huh

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »

Simple, just set it for another default home page or a blank home page. It can be found under tools menu then select options, and then general tab.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 04:31:49 AM »

It won't matter which browser you use the url http://start.mozilla.org/firefox?client+firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official does not exist. This is a change on the mozilla server, and has nothing to do with the firefox browser itself.

Just set the homepage to http://start.mozilla.org and it will work just like it did before.
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 07:30:44 PM »

THANKS!

I finally got FireFox 12-- up and running.  The start page changes but everything is comparable to the "old" start page.

Thanks, again!

N9LCD

Smiley
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »

Seriously,  Grin you should just set your start page to eham.net  Grin

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:00:47 PM »

Seriously,  Grin you should just set your start page to eham.net  Grin

Not really when you consider it goes down/offline from time to time and may cause a panic attack when it does when you open browser.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W5DPK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 03:50:16 PM »

Try the browser SR IRON.  It is fast like Chrome without all the crap.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 05:52:16 AM »

Try the browser SR IRON.  It is fast like Chrome without all the crap.

It is Chrome slightly modified for the paranoid..

Stan K9IUQ
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »

As a ten year user of firefox, rarely has it been a problem for me.  Once you upgrade, why would you want to use the firefox homepage?  Don't you change that to your own "homepage" (I use a yahoo news page as mine...).  Secondly, I use Ixquick or DuckDuckgo as a search engine, and only use Google search if I absolutely have to.  Supposedly Ixquick does not keep track of your IP address.  I probably am paranoid.  I dump the cookies daily, delete browsing history at least once a week, and use AdBlocker and NoScripts to keep the crap off the webpages I view.
GABRESEVEN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 07:21:18 PM »

Any of the newer versions of Firefox - above 3.6.28 are not user friendly. And also to mention they don't play nice. I use 3.6.28 and considering it came out earlier this (2012) year, it works just fine for me. I have not had any of the problems users of the new versions have reported, and it works quite well with Windows 7 - got the 64 bit version from oldapps.com

It seems like every week or every few weeks they come out with a new version - these new versions aren't all they're touted to be, and believe me y'all, I've tried them all, and everytime I come back to 3.6.28 because it works, plays nice and that's what matters to me...

Just my 2 cents on the issue...

Aloha!
GABRESEVEN
Hawaii
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: